• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How long does Emeprid keep? *Resolved*

~ILoveMyBunny~

Alpha Buck
Sorry to bother you all (yet again :oops:)
Long story short Snowflake had a major stasis episode the night before last (complete stasis, no movement whatsoever) and spent all of yesterday admitted. The vet sent her home last night on a huge dose of emeprid and ranitidine (3.3ml of emeprid) which seemed to do it, she started to pick up last night and has done well today (not back to normal but very well considering). The vet saw her this morning and said keep up the emeprid and ranitidine today and all of tomorrow at the same dosage and if by Monday she's okay then we can stop. She said she thought we had enough but the emeprid ran out on her last dose (only had 2.3ml of the 3.3ml she was meant to have) at 8pm. She's due for her next dose at 4am but there isn't any.
I do have a leftover bottle from her last episode but it was dispensed on the 1st of March 2017. I'm guessing it's too old? :(
I'll try phoning and seeing if they can give me anymore tomorrow but I'm not sure they will as she thought we had enough. I'm guessing someone's made a mistake (maybe there should have been two bottles? This one was completely full so maybe it was split into two) but I can't phone until 9am which is 5hrs late for her next dose.

Last edited:
I personally would not give it. The reason liquid medicines tend to have a short shelf life is because bacteria love liquids and most chemicals (including the active ingredient) will eventually be broken down by the water inside. Emeprid in it's original bottle is fine for 6 months after opening, but you don't know how long that original bottle had been open before the vets poured some out for you in March. Dipping non-sterile syringes in to the medicine (like most of us do when giving rabbits meds) would increase the risk of bacteria growth too

Sorry to bother you all (yet again :oops:)
Long story short Snowflake had a major stasis episode the night before last (complete stasis, no movement whatsoever) and spent all of yesterday admitted. The vet sent her home last night on a huge dose of emeprid and ranitidine (3.3ml of emeprid) which seemed to do it, she started to pick up last night and has done well today (not back to normal but very well considering). The vet saw her this morning and said keep up the emeprid and ranitidine today and all of tomorrow at the same dosage and if by Monday she's okay then we can stop. She said she thought we had enough but the emeprid ran out on her last dose (only had 2.3ml of the 3.3ml she was meant to have) at 8pm. She's due for her next dose at 4am but there isn't any.
I do have a leftover bottle from her last episode but it was dispensed on the 1st of March 2017. I'm guessing it's too old? :(
I'll try phoning and seeing if they can give me anymore tomorrow but I'm not sure they will as she thought we had enough. I'm guessing someone's made a mistake (maybe there should have been two bottles? This one was completely full so maybe it was split into two) but I can't phone until 9am which is 5hrs late for her next dose.

Oh I'm so sorry to hear about Snowflake :( You aren't having much luck at the moment, are you?

Shelf life of Emeprid after opening is 6 months. I know my vet has her opinions on whether to use it after that time, but it's probably best if I don't mention it here.

I hope you can get some more from the vet - good luck x

I personally would not give it. The reason liquid medicines tend to have a short shelf life is because bacteria love liquids and most chemicals (including the active ingredient) will eventually be broken down by the water inside. Emeprid in it's original bottle is fine for 6 months after opening, but you don't know how long that original bottle had been open before the vets poured some out for you in March. Dipping non-sterile syringes in to the medicine (like most of us do when giving rabbits meds) would increase the risk of bacteria growth too

Ah, I was wondering about something like that but that's a very clear way of putting it - thank you so much :D
I don't think I'll risk it then. I'll give them a call in the morning and see if I can get some more for her. She's doing well at the moment so best not risk something that could upset her.
Thank you so much :D

Oh I'm so sorry to hear about Snowflake :( You aren't having much luck at the moment, are you?

I know :( Like it did last year it's all happened at once again. Snowflake responds badly to stress so she didn't pick up until she got home last night but she's doing well tonight :)
I'll still give the ranitidine at 4am and then give the vet a call when they open. It's possible she's doing well enough that she may not need it but I'll certainly try. She's been eating a lot better tonight so quite a contrast to last night when we were thinking we actually might lose her. There was nothing visible in the tract on the ultrasound at all and absolutely no movement whatsoever. My vet said she's put her on the highest possible dosage and I think that's what did it. She's more herself now and seems to be bouncing back at the moment.

Thank you both so much :)

Ah, I was wondering about something like that but that's a very clear way of putting it - thank you so much :D
I don't think I'll risk it then. I'll give them a call in the morning and see if I can get some more for her. She's doing well at the moment so best not risk something that could upset her.
Thank you so much :D

I know :( Like it did last year it's all happened at once again. Snowflake responds badly to stress so she didn't pick up until she got home last night but she's doing well tonight :)
I'll still give the ranitidine at 4am and then give the vet a call when they open. It's possible she's doing well enough that she may not need it but I'll certainly try. She's been eating a lot better tonight so quite a contrast to last night when we were thinking we actually might lose her. There was nothing visible in the tract on the ultrasound at all and absolutely no movement whatsoever. My vet said she's put her on the highest possible dosage and I think that's what did it. She's more herself now and seems to be bouncing back at the moment.

Thank you both so much :)

You are so welcome :)

I really hope the improvement continues. You've been through a lot with your bunnies!

My Vibes for Bunnies thread is meant for your bunnies too .... Loads of good vibes in 2018. No more illness xx hugs xx

You are so welcome :)

I really hope the improvement continues. You've been through a lot with your bunnies!

My Vibes for Bunnies thread is meant for your bunnies too .... Loads of good vibes in 2018. No more illness xx hugs xx
Thank you MM :D
Yeah, the poor little things are going through it at the moment :( Cody had another minor episode a few days back but got himself out of it after a couple of hours and Pixel is having some very minor on-off pickiness with his food so I'm expecting the dental situation to pop up again fairly soon. Absolutely dreading it.
Maybe I should have gotten fish or something simpler :lol: I guess we can't help what (or who) we love ;)

Edit:
Snowflake was looking a little grumpy/slightly off when I gave her the ranitidine at 4am so I did some looking around in case I had any more emeprid and found some that was given to Jazz about six weeks ago that I'd completely forgotten about. There was just enough there for a dose so I've given her that as she looks like she's going slightly downhill. Hopefully it might pick her up until I can call the vet but...
Pixel now isn't eating and is looking uncomfortable...

Last edited:
Back