• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Millies poo

loobers25

Warren Veteran
I've just found this outside the litter tray. It's full if normal poop and ginger Toby hair. What do you think? I should mention she is eating and passing normal poops too. She's eating her dinner now. Should I be worried?
5fc64798731c07c1a3189f2953bc2ce0.jpg
7c0dab8507912b8110c726b9375443d8.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Is their anything the vet can give me long term to help with her tummy and digested hair?

Is their anything the vet can give me long term to help with her tummy and digested hair?

Fur is a normal finding in a Rabbit's digestive tract and it only becomes an issue if the GI tract is already a bit sluggish. Things you could do include making sure that she is on a good diet based on 80%-90% hay, that she has a good water intake- most Rabbits drink more from a bowl than from a bottle, that she gets lots of exercise and maintains a healthy weight. Portly Bunnies can have recurrent issues with gut motility problems. Also, minimising the amount of fur she ingests by grooming her every day will help. Her companion will need to be groomed too so she does not ingest too much of his fur aswell as her own. Grooming them would be especially beneficial when they are in moult.

I never use Bromelain or papain for my Rabbits, but some people do

http://articles.extension.org/pages/55692/hairballs-in-rabbits

Fur is a normal finding in a Rabbit's digestive tract and it only becomes an issue if the GI tract is already a bit sluggish. Things you could do include making sure that she is on a good diet based on 80%-90% hay, that she has a good water intake- most Rabbits drink more from a bowl than from a bottle, that she gets lots of exercise and maintains a healthy weight. Portly Bunnies can have recurrent issues with gut motility problems. Also, minimising the amount of fur she ingests by grooming her every day will help. Her companion will need to be groomed too so she does not ingest too much of his fur aswell as her own. Grooming them would be especially beneficial when they are in moult.

I never use Bromelain or papain for my Rabbits, but some people do

http://articles.extension.org/pages/55692/hairballs-in-rabbits
Thank you! <3 I'm just reading about the pineapple and papaya. I've never given her fruits or anything naturally sugary. How do I introduce them without making another issue?
e32b80552099a4635a49de98680721a1.jpg

I use the Vetcare Plus Digestive Health Formula :thumb: They are similar to FibaFirst. I find they don't crumble as easily as FF and my rabbits seemed to prefer them.

Thank you! <3 I'm just reading about the pineapple and papaya. I've never given her fruits or anything naturally sugary. How do I introduce them without making another issue?
e32b80552099a4635a49de98680721a1.jpg

My vet has recommended pineapple juice for hairballs. It's had a bad press, but my vet is quite savvy as she sees lots of rescue rabbits so I trust her judgement :)

Pineapple juice is fine :)

Lots of fibre is essential of course, but hair in the poo is not a problem for a rabbit unless the gut is on slow-down, and there's usually another cause for that.

How are things now? xx

She's ok this morning. No abnormal poops yet. She ate all her breakfast, greens and forage. Then snuggled up with Toby for a slumber. I just got worried about the hair because we didn't get to the bottom of why she had this episode.

She's ok this morning. No abnormal poops yet. She ate all her breakfast, greens and forage. Then snuggled up with Toby for a slumber. I just got worried about the hair because we didn't get to the bottom of why she had this episode.

Good to hear Loobers. I hope she continues to improve x

Sometimes we never seem to get to the reason why stasis happens. Just glad when it clears x

Back