• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Strange lumps on edge of ear

Kerryh

New Kit
Hi everyone,
I have noticed Winston has some strange greyish sort of lumpy scabby skin on the outer edge of one of his ears.
It doesn't seem to be itchy or causing him any discomfort.
Any ideas what it could be?

Thanks
Kerry

Hi everyone,
I have noticed Winston has some strange greyish sort of lumpy scabby skin on the outer edge of one of his ears.

Thanks
Kerry

Impossible to say without being able to see it. Has he had any Vet treatment recently whereby he may have had a venous catheter inserted- ie IV drugs/fluids given via an ear vein ?

Can you post a photo of the ear ?

I am really struggling to add a photo - I looked on how to but I cant seem to!
No he hasn't had anything like that. Its very strange!

Hi everyone,

Thanks
Kerry

Hi Kerry :wave:

It could be any number of things, but one is ear mites .. though this usually presents on the inside of the ear:

***warning graphic images***
http://medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Parasitic/earmite/Psoroptes.htm

Sometimes I find a rabbit who constantly dips his head and ears into the water bowl will get a scabby bit of skin there.

If he's been hospitalised and had IV fluids that can also cause a bit of irritation at the site, but if it's on the very outer edge this isn't likely.

photo.php

Does this work? sorry hard to get a good photo!
photo.php
photo.php

I'd get the Vet to take a look. He/she will be able to examine your Rabbit's ear canals too. That would be the best way to establish what the problem is and to obtain any treatment that the Vet deems to be necessary. It could be ringworm, but that is just a guess.

Last edited:

Hi there Kerry

Your photo has come through well. It's really difficult to identify what's going on, unfortunately. As I said earlier, mites is a common complaint of rabbits and it could well be that.

Have you got a vet visit booked for them to look at it?

Hi all, thanks for the replies.
I took Winston in and my vet had never seen anything like this in his whole career
Its very strange !

Hi all, thanks for the replies.
I took Winston in and my vet had never seen anything like this in his whole career
Its very strange !

Well you're not much further forward then!

Did he have any suggestions as to what to do about it? Or maybe just 'watch and wait' ...

Back