Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: How long in rabbit stasis?

  1. #1

    Default How long in rabbit stasis?

    My 1 year old male rabbit started to be a bit off it last Saturday, I noticed he hadnít eaten his dinner up and he hadnít done any poos overnight. So I thought he might be in stasis. I kept him hydrated, and gave him some simethicone. The next day he was pretty much the same so I had some metoclopramide and Zantac in and metacam, so gave him some of that, as it was the weekend and vet closed. I took him down to the vets Monday morning, she felt his belly and said there didnít seem to be a blockage, checked his teeth, which were fine and said to continue with the medication I was giving him. The last couple of days he has done poos, although not as many as normal and all he will eat is parsley and a bit of baby leaf salad. He wonít his normal kale, he isnít eating hay, although he has always been naughty and not eaten much of it. He has lost weight due to him not eating much. On himself he seems ok, when I bring him out he runs round and jumps about. So my question is would he be doing that or would he just sit there if he was really poorly? And I donít know what to do next, I donít particularly want to stress him by taking him back to the vets if I donít have to and wondered if to just continue with the meds a bit longer. How long does it take for them to start eating properly again?

  2. #2
    Mama Doe bunny momma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,670

    Default

    How did the vet check the teeth? Sometimes the bunny needs to be sedated so the vet can get a better look at the bunny's mouth.
    Sometimes it can take many days for the bunny to get back to normal.
    Rabbits often hide their pain, discomfort, illness as long as they can.
    You may want to have a phone consultation with your vet so you can provide an update to see if he/she wants to change any meds/dosages or add any meds or to syringe recovery food.

  3. #3
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    130,490

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Salann View Post
    My 1 year old male rabbit started to be a bit off it last Saturday, I noticed he hadnít eaten his dinner up and he hadnít done any poos overnight. So I thought he might be in stasis. I kept him hydrated, and gave him some simethicone. The next day he was pretty much the same so I had some metoclopramide and Zantac in and metacam, so gave him some of that, as it was the weekend and vet closed. I took him down to the vets Monday morning, she felt his belly and said there didnít seem to be a blockage, checked his teeth, which were fine and said to continue with the medication I was giving him. The last couple of days he has done poos, although not as many as normal and all he will eat is parsley and a bit of baby leaf salad. He wonít his normal kale, he isnít eating hay, although he has always been naughty and not eaten much of it. He has lost weight due to him not eating much. On himself he seems ok, when I bring him out he runs round and jumps about. So my question is would he be doing that or would he just sit there if he was really poorly? And I donít know what to do next, I donít particularly want to stress him by taking him back to the vets if I donít have to and wondered if to just continue with the meds a bit longer. How long does it take for them to start eating properly again?
    Gut stasis can be a secondary symptom to another underlying problem such as Dental problems as mentioned by bunny momma. So whilst it is important to treat the symptoms of gut stasis it is equally important to try to identify and treat the primary cause. Personally I would take the Rabbit back to the Vet today to be re-assessed.

    The following links may be useful to read :

    http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv

    http://www.veterinaryirelandjournal....a_mar_2015.pdf

    http://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/pdfs/ROWinter10p7.pdf



    ''Never apologise for how you feel, it's called being real'' ~
    Anon

  4. #4
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    32,691

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bunny momma View Post
    How did the vet check the teeth? Sometimes the bunny needs to be sedated so the vet can get a better look at the bunny's mouth.
    Sometimes it can take many days for the bunny to get back to normal.
    Rabbits often hide their pain, discomfort, illness as long as they can.
    You may want to have a phone consultation with your vet so you can provide an update to see if he/she wants to change any meds/dosages or add any meds or to syringe recovery food.


    Hi and welcome to the Forum

    I agree with bunny momma - so often the teeth are a cause, and a vet cannot usually see the back teeth without sedation. Some vets are able to, but they are few and far between!

    Some info here on stasis ...

    http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv/basic

    http://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/pdfs/ROWinter10p7.pdf


    I hope your rabbit gets better soon
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...t-January-2018

    ďChoose to be optimistic, it feels better!Ē ... Dalai Lama

  5. #5

    Default

    He was a very good bunny at the vets and let the vet have a good look at his teeth and she said they were beautiful! But I don’t know if it’s possible to miss anything Back there. Also I was wondering do you just stop the meds when they start to get better or slowly taper off? He has done more poos now and weeing, so I wondered if he was dehydrated as he doesn’t drink a lot. He could do with eating more as he is still been fussy.

  6. #6
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    IOW
    Posts
    12,919

    Default

    Does he normally eat pellets?

  7. #7

    Default

    He usually has burgess pellets and then veg like kale, baby leaf salad, rocket, the odd carrot. Hardly any hay, I have tried quite a few varieties and he just eats his other food and hardly touches the hay. I can’t get him to drink much either, so I swapped from a water bottle to a bowl the other day to see if he preferred that, but I can’t really tell if he has been drinking. I heard you can put apple juice in it to encourage them? But what sort the fresh or the dilute? And I am guessing sugar free.

  8. #8
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    130,490

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Salann View Post
    He usually has burgess pellets and then veg like kale, baby leaf salad, rocket, the odd carrot. Hardly any hay, I have tried quite a few varieties and he just eats his other food and hardly touches the hay. I canít get him to drink much either, so I swapped from a water bottle to a bowl the other day to see if he preferred that, but I canít really tell if he has been drinking. I heard you can put apple juice in it to encourage them? But what sort the fresh or the dilute? And I am guessing sugar free.
    If a Rabbit does not eat much hay then they can be very prone to gut motility problems and Dental problems.

    http://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/pdfs/ROWinter10p7.pdf


    Has your Rabbit only recently stopped eating much hay ?

    How much pellet feed does he have. as a rough guide an eggcupful a day is recommended for a medium sized Rabbit, The bulk of the diet should be hay/grass

    Some info about Rabbit diets here :

    http://www.therabbithouse.com/diet/

    https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-diet/

    https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/art...t-rabbits/view

    Your Rabbit will be getting some water from the fresh Veg. I use a Prebiotic called Avipro Plus for Rabbits with GI tract motility issues whose water intake I want to maximise

    http://www.vetark.co.uk/pages/Avipro-Plus_4.aspx



    ''Never apologise for how you feel, it's called being real'' ~
    Anon

  9. #9
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    32,691

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Salann View Post
    He usually has burgess pellets and then veg like kale, baby leaf salad, rocket, the odd carrot. Hardly any hay, I have tried quite a few varieties and he just eats his other food and hardly touches the hay. I canít get him to drink much either, so I swapped from a water bottle to a bowl the other day to see if he preferred that, but I canít really tell if he has been drinking. I heard you can put apple juice in it to encourage them? But what sort the fresh or the dilute? And I am guessing sugar free.

    Yes you can put apple juice in the water to encourage more drinking. It's not a long term measure, but can be quite useful in hydrating the gut. Just a couple of teaspoons of pure apple juice in a bowl of water.

    As I mentioned, the teeth can't usually be seen unless under sedation - it's reckoned a vet can only see about 50% of a rabbit's mouth without sedation. Some vets can do 'conscious dentals' and can see the whole of the mouth and do the dental without GA.

    If a rabbit doesn't eat hay, it's usually because he can't. It's worth considering whether teeth are at the root of the problem?
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...t-January-2018

    ďChoose to be optimistic, it feels better!Ē ... Dalai Lama

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack's-Jane View Post
    If a Rabbit does not eat much hay then they can be very prone to gut motility problems and Dental problems.

    http://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/pdfs/ROWinter10p7.pdf


    Has your Rabbit only recently stopped eating much hay ?

    How much pellet feed does he have. as a rough guide an eggcupful a day is recommended for a medium sized Rabbit, The bulk of the diet should be hay/grass

    Some info about Rabbit diets here :

    http://www.therabbithouse.com/diet/

    https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-diet/

    https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/art...t-rabbits/view

    Your Rabbit will be getting some water from the fresh Veg. I use a Prebiotic called Avipro Plus for Rabbits with GI tract motility issues whose water intake I want to maximise

    http://www.vetark.co.uk/pages/Avipro-Plus_4.aspx
    He has never eaten lots of hay, but I guess the amount has just reduced over time and he has eaten more veg etc.. instead.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •