Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Introducing a new rabbit to a pair or group

Wise Old Thumper

When all is said and done the personalities of the rabbits makes an awful lot of difference to a bond being successful or otherwise. I have only bonded male/female and never trios. The only groups I have had have been related, ie Mum and babies.

I bonded a trio - added a female to a m/m pair (littermates) - that was relatively quick and easy. It was my first attempt at bonding. More recently I tried adding another Male to the group and it was a disaster. After initially positive signs he decided he didn’t like my female, she ended up with quite a bad wound requiring 2 surgeries within a week & eventually leaving it to heal as an open wound. I’m now back to having a m/m pair and a separate female I’m fairly confident they will live together again, she has now recovered from her injury so I will make another bonding attempt in a couple of weeks when I’m off work.

Quote Originally Posted by Casco View Post
    I bonded a trio - added a female to a m/m pair (littermates) - that was relatively quick and easy. It was my first attempt at bonding. More recently I tried adding another Male to the group and it was a disaster. After initially positive signs he decided he didnít like my female, she ended up with quite a bad wound requiring 2 surgeries within a week & eventually leaving it to heal as an open wound. Iím now back to having a m/m pair and a separate female Iím fairly confident they will live together again, she has now recovered from her injury so I will make another bonding attempt in a couple of weeks when Iím off work.

Oh Casco, what a shame!

What made you want to add another male to the group?

Did the personalities give any indication that there might be trouble ahead?
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...t-January-2018

ďChoose to be optimistic, it feels better!Ē ... Dalai Lama

Wise Old Thumper

I bonded a trio - added a female to a m/m pair (littermates) - that was relatively quick and easy. It was my first attempt at bonding. More recently I tried adding another Male to the group and it was a disaster. After initially positive signs he decided he didnít like my female, she ended up with quite a bad wound requiring 2 surgeries within a week & eventually leaving it to heal as an open wound. Iím now back to having a m/m pair and a separate female Iím fairly confident they will live together again, she has now recovered from her injury so I will make another bonding attempt in a couple of weeks when Iím off work.
    How scary Sending lots of vibes that they go back together again easily.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyMax View Post
    Oh Casco, what a shame!

What made you want to add another male to the group?

Did the personalities give any indication that there might be trouble ahead?
    Iíve wanted a quad for a while & I really wanted a lop. Ideal bunny came into the rescue I volunteer for and I couldnít resist - looked just like my first bunny. He is actually a really lovely bunny, easy to handle and quite friendly. He got on well with my 2 boys and seemed to be making friends with my girl. This was them a couple of days before he turned on her:

Iíve wanted a quad for a while & I really wanted a lop. Ideal bunny came into the rescue I volunteer for and I couldnít resist - looked just like my first bunny. He is actually a really lovely bunny, easy to handle and quite friendly. He got on well with my 2 boys and seemed to be making friends with my girl. This was them a couple of days before he turned on her:

Gracious they look loved up

Did she provoke him? You say he attacked her rather badly? I wonder what made him angry?

Were they in the small pen?

Yes they were in a small space, the damage was mainly caused because he clamped his mouth together and held on. I don’t think she provoked him as such, she was grooming one of the boys on the face and obviously gave him a nip which made him jump back then he went to chase her and the new boy decided to get involved & went for Millie. Happened so fast. I was there watching them but just a second too late to stop the injury.

Wise Old Thumper

I have to say I would have thought they were happily bonded from this pic.

Yes they were in a small space, the damage was mainly caused because he clamped his mouth together and held on. I donít think she provoked him as such, she was grooming one of the boys on the face and obviously gave him a nip which made him jump back then he went to chase her and the new boy decided to get involved & went for Millie. Happened so fast. I was there watching them but just a second too late to stop the injury.

Sorry to hear this

And maybe this is a silly question, as it was obviously very scary at the time ... But given all had gone so well up until that point (I presume?) would you have ever considered trying again with the foursome? Perhaps with more space?

I hope you don't mind me asking.
    I'm trying to understand the workings of a rabbit's mind ... (pretty impossible, really)

I decided I couldn’t risk him doing it again and didn’t know how Millie would react to him. I did think about it for a while, as you say it had looked good at one point but I felt I simply couldn’t trust him even if it seemed to be going well again.