• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Millie on route to vets

Millions of vibes for your baby girl. Thank goodness you acted so quickly & she is under such a brilliant vet. I can understand you must be worried sick

She is now receiving A* Veterinary care, of course you are worried, but there is every chance that she will be able to recover. Ingesting fur is 'normal' for Rabbits, their own and that of their companions. So try not to second guess what has happened (easier said than done, I know). Hopefully you'll hear from the Vet again very soon xx
I know jayne I'm sorry I'm just having a panic attack. I really don't want to loose her, her and Toby are my world :, (

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I know jayne I'm sorry I'm just having a panic attack. I really don't want to loose her, her and Toby are my world :, (

I totally understand. Try to focus on the fact that she is in the very best place to receive any treatment that she may need. Without your prompt action she would be in much more trouble. Thank goodness you were so vigilant and you knew exactly what to do x

Yes, ingesting fur is normal and a part of being a rabbit. I know how you are feeling though and will be going through everything in your mind.

As you know Tethra is currently by himself and I have noticed he has had a few poos strung together in the last couple of days. I immediately start beating myself up for not getting him some friends. We do this to ourselves don't we. But the fact is that if he had a friend, he could have ingested their fur instead.

Sending millions more vibes for Millie and hugs for you.

Ok so vets says she's had xray, clear tummy no blockage. She's eating hay and carrot. No poops yet. Waiting for poops

Ok so vets says she's had xray, clear tummy no blockage. She's eating hay and carrot. No poops yet. Waiting for poops

So glad to hear this :D

Of course a blockage crossed my mind the minute you mentioned the glucose score, but I didn't mention it because why have you worried over something that may not be, and isn't, the case?

I am delighted to bits with your news and hope she recovers nicely :D

So glad to hear this :D

Of course a blockage crossed my mind the minute you mentioned the glucose score, but I didn't mention it because why have you worried over something that may not be, and isn't, the case?

I am delighted to bits with your news and hope she recovers nicely :D
Hmm I know. Her glucose count is back down to normal. I am wondering if she just had gas?

Hmm I know. Her glucose count is back down to normal. I am wondering if she just had gas?

Stress also causes an elevated glucose level. She may also have picked up on your stress, I have known that to happen.

I am glad you kept a clear head and got her to the vet, the last thing I would want is for you to panic :)

Stress also causes an elevated glucose level.

I am glad you kept a clear head and got her to the vet, the last thing I would want is for you to panic :)
Mm I am at work and I have chest pains. I am the least stay calm person ever with animals :D now we pray for poop

Its possible Millie had a blockage that passed naturally. So pleased she is eating, hope those poos come soon

Yes, ingesting fur is normal and a part of being a rabbit. I know how you are feeling though and will be going through everything in your mind.

As you know Tethra is currently by himself and I have noticed he has had a few poos strung together in the last couple of days. I immediately start beating myself up for not getting him some friends. We do this to ourselves don't we. But the fact is that if he had a friend, he could have ingested their fur instead.

Sending millions more vibes for Millie and hugs for you.

Yes :D

It's not the fur that necessarily causes a blockage, but when the gut slows down for some reason or another.

More vibes :)

She's a year and a half now and never has any problems with her tummy before. I have infacol at home and metacam but didn't want to attempt massages incase it was some sort of blockage. They want to know now weather to take more bloods and full body x rays to see if some sort of other problem caused the stasis. Or when she poops she will just go him with the usual tummy meds. I'm not sure what to do? I don't want her to have GA if it was gas? Xx

She's a year and a half now and never has any problems with her tummy before. I have infacol at home and metacam but didn't want to attempt massages incase it was some sort of blockage. They want to know now weather to take more bloods and full body x rays to see if some sort of other problem caused the stasis. Or when she poops she will just go him with the usual tummy meds. I'm not sure what to do? I don't want her to have GA if it was gas? Xx

An extremely wise decision.

Re further diagnostics, maybe just a full blood profile, that would not require a GA. Then if the blood results flagged anything up you could discuss how to proceed from there.

Its a very personnal decision but if she poops I'd be inclined to postpone further diagnostics & a GA - gas or something else may have worked its way through naturally & there may well be no reoccurrences. Vibes for Millie poo & your decision x

Oh no I'm sorry I've only just seen this!

As JJ says, wise choice not giving meds & doing tummy rubs in case of the blockage.

If she begins passing faeces I'd consider not doing further investigations, but it's a really personal choice and you'll need to think it over and discuss with your vet.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Back