Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: change in behaviour but still seems ok?! confused bunny owner

Quote Originally Posted by DemiS View Post
    As others have suggested, moulting could definitely be the cause. Try help your bun out as much as you can, when my rabbits are going through a heavy moult i start by gently pulling at the fur to get rid of any loose bits, you can use a wet hand/brush or rubber glove to provide a bit of friction too to help get rid of loose fur. You could also try a 'furminator' type brush but be careful not to over do it!

Once the moulting has settled, if your bunny still seems a bit quiet then I'd take him to the vets, even if he's eating fine. My rabbits live in our front room and I noticed that one of them wasn't acting his normal self, a lot more quiet than usual. He was eating, drinking, pooing, weeing etc. absolutely fine so no immediate cause for concern, but I knew something was wrong so we took him to the vets and it turned out he had a dental spur. It was very small, the vet couldn't see it when she first looked in his mouth, it was only when they took an X-ray that it showed up so they put him under GA and sorted the tooth out. If we had left it longer to see the vet his spur would have just grown to the point where he didn't want to eat, so I'm glad we got it sorted sooner rather than later
    Yes, I have known of Rabbits who start to overgroom due to some sort of discomfort unrelated to a ectoparasitic infestation.
    Last edited by Jack's-Jane; 08-01-2018 at 08:16 AM. Reason: TYPO

A Rabbit Savvy small animal Veterinary Surgery in Twickenham, SW London
    https://www.twickenhamvets.com/

Help for Romanian Rescue Dogs
    https://www.gofundme.com/helpforromanianrescuedogs

As others have suggested, moulting could definitely be the cause. Try help your bun out as much as you can, when my rabbits are going through a heavy moult i start by gently pulling at the fur to get rid of any loose bits, you can use a wet hand/brush or rubber glove to provide a bit of friction too to help get rid of loose fur. You could also try a 'furminator' type brush but be careful not to over do it!

Once the moulting has settled, if your bunny still seems a bit quiet then I'd take him to the vets, even if he's eating fine. My rabbits live in our front room and I noticed that one of them wasn't acting his normal self, a lot more quiet than usual. He was eating, drinking, pooing, weeing etc. absolutely fine so no immediate cause for concern, but I knew something was wrong so we took him to the vets and it turned out he had a dental spur. It was very small, the vet couldn't see it when she first looked in his mouth, it was only when they took an X-ray that it showed up so they put him under GA and sorted the tooth out. If we had left it longer to see the vet his spur would have just grown to the point where he didn't want to eat, so I'm glad we got it sorted sooner rather than later
    ah thank you. after being so worried last night, i let him sleep for a bit then when i let him roam he was so energetic. i had picked him up earlier that evening and let out a gas so i think that was part of the problem as after that he was bombing it around the house, binkying everywhere. he didn't seem to excited this morning to greet me, he's just had his breakfast and is very energetic again so i'll see how he goes again today!

Quote Originally Posted by annasbunbun View Post
    ah thank you. after being so worried last night, i let him sleep for a bit then when i let him roam he was so energetic. i had picked him up earlier that evening and let out a gas so i think that was part of the problem as after that he was bombing it around the house, binkying everywhere. he didn't seem to excited this morning to greet me, he's just had his breakfast and is very energetic again so i'll see how he goes again today!

He sounds like he's doing well, and you are looking after him perfectly

Quote Originally Posted by MightyMax View Post
    He sounds like he's doing well, and you are looking after him perfectly
    Hey! thanks

he was better this morning like i said but then before i went out he was sneezing, or coughing? i couldn't work out what it was as he's never done it before! when i got back he greeted me but has been quiet, again eaten ok and poops in cage from when i've been gone are all normal! i'm so worried about him

Hey! thanks

he was better this morning like i said but then before i went out he was sneezing, or coughing? i couldn't work out what it was as he's never done it before! when i got back he greeted me but has been quiet, again eaten ok and poops in cage from when i've been gone are all normal! i'm so worried about him
    Did you see what was he doing immediately before he started sneezing? How long has he been doing it for? Bunnies sometimes sneeze if they get dust/hay/water/fur up their nose but if it's ongoing or there's discharge from the eyes/nose it's worth a vet trip. I'm glad he's still eating and pooping fine Apart from the quietness have you seen any other unusual behaviour like teeth grinding or him sitting more hunched up than normal? For now whilst he's not quite himself I'd probably avoid rich/gassy foods like fruit, vegetables and treats and just stick to a small amount of pellets and lots of hay. It sounds like you're doing a great job keeping an eye on him, I'm sure he'll be fine just keep doing what you're doing
    Elmo and Cookie the Thrianta brothers ♥
    Princess the Lionlop

Did you see what was he doing immediately before he started sneezing? How long has he been doing it for? Bunnies sometimes sneeze if they get dust/hay/water/fur up their nose but if it's ongoing or there's discharge from the eyes/nose it's worth a vet trip. I'm glad he's still eating and pooping fine Apart from the quietness have you seen any other unusual behaviour like teeth grinding or him sitting more hunched up than normal? For now whilst he's not quite himself I'd probably avoid rich/gassy foods like fruit, vegetables and treats and just stick to a small amount of pellets and lots of hay. It sounds like you're doing a great job keeping an eye on him, I'm sure he'll be fine just keep doing what you're doing
    Hello! thanks for your response. The past 24 hours have been a turn around, he was ok in the morning yesterday, then in the afternoon he had his sleep as usual and then in the evening he was very energetic again. I've been grooming him lightly about 3 times a day to help him as he's CONSTANTLY doing it because of the molting so I thought I'd help. I think that's made a difference in his energy levels as he was a lot better last night and very loving towards me where he has been quite cold the past few days and just wanted to rest. I'm hoping to continue this and see a change, he's been bouncing around all morning after his breakfast (a small amount of green, hay and a few pellets) so he's seeming a lot happier!

How are things going?

Quote Originally Posted by MightyMax View Post
    How are things going?

Hey! things are going well, he started getting his energy back and I have been brushing him to help him with the molting. I took him on a trip to my parents which is two hours away and he got there and wasn't even phased by the journey so he's back to his usual cheeky self! his poops were a little small but they're normal again now, I think he had taken in some hair so they were all compacted and knotting in his poops! all is normal now, than you very much for your help!

Hey! things are going well, he started getting his energy back and I have been brushing him to help him with the molting. I took him on a trip to my parents which is two hours away and he got there and wasn't even phased by the journey so he's back to his usual cheeky self! his poops were a little small but they're normal again now, I think he had taken in some hair so they were all compacted and knotting in his poops! all is normal now, than you very much for your help!

You're welcome

And thanks for such a lovely update