Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: change in behaviour but still seems ok?! confused bunny owner

Default change in behaviour but still seems ok?! confused bunny owner

hi there! been searching for answers for a few days so thought i'd post so sorry if there is already a thread out there like this!

I have had my bun since november and he has settled in really well, he was neutered around 6 weeks ago also.
    He has been molting and seemed ok but about 2 days ago he didn't want to do his usual evening activities, he just kept laying down and lazing. he would sleep and then wake to eat, push his ball for treats to fall out and then go back to lazing and sleeping. he is cleaning himself TOO MUCH!

i'm worried he might be taking in lots of hair but his poops seem to be ok at the moment. this behaviours has carried on the last two days but all day rather than just the evenings. he will have bursts of normality, but excessive cleaning again and then flopping into different positions and just lazing. i'm worried he's sick and hiding it well but he's eating and drinking absolutely fine, luckily!

any help, i've been looking but i must be blind as i'm sure others have had this.

is it possibly because he is molting and it's the temp change? eek!

any help is welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by annasbunbun View Post
    hi there! been searching for answers for a few days so thought i'd post so sorry if there is already a thread out there like this!

I have had my bun since november and he has settled in really well, he was neutered around 6 weeks ago also.
    He has been molting and seemed ok but about 2 days ago he didn't want to do his usual evening activities, he just kept laying down and lazing. he would sleep and then wake to eat, push his ball for treats to fall out and then go back to lazing and sleeping. he is cleaning himself TOO MUCH!

i'm worried he might be taking in lots of hair but his poops seem to be ok at the moment. this behaviours has carried on the last two days but all day rather than just the evenings. he will have bursts of normality, but excessive cleaning again and then flopping into different positions and just lazing. i'm worried he's sick and hiding it well but he's eating and drinking absolutely fine, luckily!

any help, i've been looking but i must be blind as i'm sure others have had this.

any help is welcome!
    Have you checked his coat for mites ?

His undercarriage for soiling ?

His ears for gunk and/or an offensive smell ?

Has there been any recent changes to his environment or his usual routine ?

Do you have any other Rabbits ?

A Rabbit Savvy small animal Veterinary Surgery in Twickenham, SW London
    https://www.twickenhamvets.com/

any help is welcome!

Hi there and welcome to the Forum

When a rabbit moults, it takes a lot of energy out of them. If there's nothing wrong with his coat at the moment (e.g. mites etc) then it could be he is using his energy for that.

Is he cleaning any particular part of himself, or just all over?

It could be his gut is slowing down, and this can happen at moulting time also - have you put the heating on differently to normal?

Here's some info if his eating does slow down at all:

http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv/basic
    Please vaccinate your rabbits for RHD2 as well ..
    Two more house rabbit deaths just confirmed

Reliable, up to date advice on RHD2: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...40#post7012340

Quote Originally Posted by Jack's-Jane View Post
    Have you checked his coat for mites ?

His undercarriage for soiling ?

His ears for gunk and/or an offensive smell ?

Has there been any recent changes to his environment or his usual routine ?

Do you have any other Rabbits ?

Hi, checked his undercarriage, nothing there, and no mites either.

no changes in routine or environment either

just picked him up and got quite a smell from him which hasn't happened yet! and no no other rabbits

hey! thanks!

i thought it might take a lot of energy for him, he's cleaning all over himself, not just one area. i'm worried he's taking too much in. I have a brush for him which i've been using each day since it started. our heating is on three times a day but only for an hour as we are a middle flat so don't need it much. i've tried to air it out today so it isn't too warm for him.

I think his gut is slowing yes as there's less poops today in comparison to yesterday

Hi, checked his undercarriage, nothing there, and no mites either.

no changes in routine or environment either

just picked him up and got quite a smell from him which hasn't happened yet! and no no other rabbits

hey! thanks!

i thought it might take a lot of energy for him, he's cleaning all over himself, not just one area. i'm worried he's taking too much in. I have a brush for him which i've been using each day since it started. our heating is on three times a day but only for an hour as we are a middle flat so don't need it much. i've tried to air it out today so it isn't too warm for him.

I think his gut is slowing yes as there's less poops today in comparison to yesterday

(sorry posted this twice as confused at how to respond! )

hey! thanks!

(sorry posted this twice as confused at how to respond! )

You're welcome

Yes keep an eye out for gut slowdown, and make sure he's eating as much hay as possible, as that will help to move everything along the gut.
    Please vaccinate your rabbits for RHD2 as well ..
    Two more house rabbit deaths just confirmed

Reliable, up to date advice on RHD2: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...40#post7012340

Wise Old Thumper

It might not be this but I took on a rabbit which over-cleaned himself and it turned out to be fleas. They leave black specs on the skin so you would have to part the fur to have a look.

Quote Originally Posted by tonibun View Post
    It might not be this but I took on a rabbit which over-cleaned himself and it turned out to be fleas. They leave black specs on the skin so you would have to part the fur to have a look.
    he's an albino so i'd have noticed I have just checked and it's definitely not. thank you though!

As others have suggested, moulting could definitely be the cause. Try help your bun out as much as you can, when my rabbits are going through a heavy moult i start by gently pulling at the fur to get rid of any loose bits, you can use a wet hand/brush or rubber glove to provide a bit of friction too to help get rid of loose fur. You could also try a 'furminator' type brush but be careful not to over do it!

Once the moulting has settled, if your bunny still seems a bit quiet then I'd take him to the vets, even if he's eating fine. My rabbits live in our front room and I noticed that one of them wasn't acting his normal self, a lot more quiet than usual. He was eating, drinking, pooing, weeing etc. absolutely fine so no immediate cause for concern, but I knew something was wrong so we took him to the vets and it turned out he had a dental spur. It was very small, the vet couldn't see it when she first looked in his mouth, it was only when they took an X-ray that it showed up so they put him under GA and sorted the tooth out. If we had left it longer to see the vet his spur would have just grown to the point where he didn't want to eat, so I'm glad we got it sorted sooner rather than later
    Elmo and Cookie the Thrianta brothers ♥
    Princess the Lionlop