Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Young Male White Lionhead (aggressive at times) - LEEDS

Quote Originally Posted by happybunny View Post
    I took Bertie to the vets today. It appears to be his eyes. The vet checked them thoroughly and his pupils never moved. The light shone in his eyes had no reaction and neither did moving him towards objects.

I feel so bad for not realising.

:-(
    Oh poor Bertie so he's blind? Which may explain why he can be aggressive if he gets spooked, poor little guy - and hey don't feel bad rabbits are a nightmare sometimes and tricky to tell with their eyes x

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Yes, it appears he is blind. There is no obvious signs or cataracts or swelling or trauma. He just has no responses. I guess its explains why he has got worse. When we got him he was cage territorial and would bite when you let him out. When he was out he hardly moved.

Once he was cage free he became territorial as he got used to his new room.

I need to research blind rabbit care.

Yes, it appears he is blind. There is no obvious signs or cataracts or swelling or trauma. He just has no responses. I guess its explains why he has got worse. When we got him he was cage territorial and would bite when you let him out. When he was out he hardly moved.

Yea sorry I have no advice or experience with a blind bunny. Maybe it would make bonding difficult too because he probably gets scared

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Aw, little guy, it does sound like it might explain the things you have noticed. Don't feel bad for not noticing.

I don't have any experience unfortunately. I think binkyCodie has a bun with sight problems. Maybe start a thread for advice x

**created by my DD Lionheadlop**

Wise Old Thumper

I took Bertie to the vets today. It appears to be his eyes. The vet checked them thoroughly and his pupils never moved. The light shone in his eyes had no reaction and neither did moving him towards objects.

I feel so bad for not realising.

:-(
    Dont feel bad, it can be extremely difficult to determine if a Rabbit has impaired vision. Although Bertie may not be totally blind you may still want to have a read of this link :

http://www.disabledrabbits.com/blindness.html

''Never apologise for how you feel, it's called being real'' ~
    Anon

Most rabbits do not respond well, or accurately, to the 'menace test', which is what most vets use to determine blindness. Even rabbits who have been pronounced blind by top ophthalmologists have been subsequently been shown to have some sight. It's very difficult to determine

I have looked after several totally blind rabbits and I can assure you they do very well
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...t-January-2018

“Choose to be optimistic, it feels better!” ... Dalai Lama

Mama Doe

My Rosie is blind/partially sighted.Shes very elderly (doesn't really "do" humans) and bonded with another female-Petal- who was a nightmare in rescue but has calmed right down since being bonded with my Rosie.With the right friend Im sure he would be fine and calm down.Petal helps Rosie a lot and seems to understand her "difficulties".She is protective of her in a non aggressive way.These two will never be human orientated but I get a lot of pleasure from just watching them snuggle and being happy together.They have a very close bond and Rosie copes very well with her sight issues.

I only realised Rosie was losing her sight when she started "scanning".She doesnt bother anymore as I don't think she shes much at all if anything.I don't know I would really be aware she had sight problems if she hadn't gone through the scanning faze so please don't beat yourself up about not knowing Bertie had sight issues.They hide health issues so well as we know.
    Last edited by hoppetylop; 21-01-2018 at 01:45 PM.