• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Young Male White Lionhead (aggressive at times) -Chnage of plan- looking for n female

My bridge bun Comet was aggressive, he used to growl and bite. He'd been in a large group of males who all attacked him and he had a ripped ear. I got him from a rescue, he'd been there for years as he was black and no one wanted him. I had him neutered and bonded him with Lucy. He was still growly but never bit me again and lived a long and happy life. He died last Year of old age. It's never too late and I think this bunny could find a friend. I hope you find the right home for him x

Thank you.

I am sure you are right.

I think with time spent 1 on 1 with a human he would become less aggressive. I think he scared, I obviously don't know what he has been through (apart from his previous owner actually releasing him and him returning on at least one occasion).

I sat with him this evening for a short time. He was nervous and ran over a few time but did not growl or bite. I just wish I had more time to spend with him.

x

Hi,

When we got him he was underweight at about 2.3Kg. He is now a little overweight at about 2.8kg. x
Was he very aggressive when you tried to bond him with one of your bunnies?

I have a 2kg female mini rex she's very gentle but can be sassy, considering finding her a similarly sized friend, but she's so gentle bless her I don't know how she'd react to an aggressive rabbit (one of the reasons I'm not bonding her with my other two who are lovely but more lively let's say haha) x

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

He wasn't aggressive in the way he is with us. He was really interested and wanted to interact with the other bunny. He dug at the other rabbits back and the other bunny let him so he damaged the skin quite badly.

It turned out the other bunny was quiet ill so was not acting normally.

We would be happy for someone to take him and if the bond did not work out we would take him back.

He wasn't aggressive in the way he is with us. He was really interested and wanted to interact with the other bunny. He dug at the other rabbits back and the other bunny let him so he damaged the skin quite badly.

It turned out the other bunny was quiet ill so was not acting normally.

We would be happy for someone to take him and if the bond did not work out we would take him back.

I’ve heard of bonds failing, and I’ve had bonds upset when one of the bunnies is poorly, so that might explain his behaviour there?

I am rather late to this thread, but I agree with Zoobec in that aggression can be an indication of an underlying health problem. My advice would be to have Bertie thoroughly examined by a Rabbit Savvy Vet. Things to consider may include Dental problems, ear problems, poor eyesight.

Some additional information here :

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-care-advice/aggression-rabbits/

http://www.therabbithouse.com/behaviour/problem-aggressive-rabbit.asp

He is a lovely Rabbit and I hope that everything works out OK for him in the end.

I took Bertie to the vets today. It appears to be his eyes. The vet checked them thoroughly and his pupils never moved. The light shone in his eyes had no reaction and neither did moving him towards objects.

I feel so bad for not realising.

:-(

I took Bertie to the vets today. It appears to be his eyes. The vet checked them thoroughly and his pupils never moved. The light shone in his eyes had no reaction and neither did moving him towards objects.

Don't feel bad, they hide things so well, they adapt so easily really. I hope a new home works out for him xx

Oh poor Bertie :( so he's blind? Which may explain why he can be aggressive if he gets spooked, poor little guy - and hey don't feel bad rabbits are a nightmare sometimes and tricky to tell with their eyes x

Yes, it appears he is blind. There is no obvious signs or cataracts or swelling or trauma. He just has no responses. I guess its explains why he has got worse. When we got him he was cage territorial and would bite when you let him out. When he was out he hardly moved.

Once he was cage free he became territorial as he got used to his new room.

I need to research blind rabbit care.

Yes, it appears he is blind. There is no obvious signs or cataracts or swelling or trauma. He just has no responses. I guess its explains why he has got worse. When we got him he was cage territorial and would bite when you let him out. When he was out he hardly moved.

Yea sorry I have no advice or experience with a blind bunny. Maybe it would make bonding difficult too because he probably gets scared :(

Aw, little guy, it does sound like it might explain the things you have noticed. Don't feel bad for not noticing.

I don't have any experience unfortunately. I think binkyCodie has a bun with sight problems. Maybe start a thread for advice :) x

Dont feel bad, it can be extremely difficult to determine if a Rabbit has impaired vision. Although Bertie may not be totally blind you may still want to have a read of this link :

http://www.disabledrabbits.com/blindness.html

Most rabbits do not respond well, or accurately, to the 'menace test', which is what most vets use to determine blindness. Even rabbits who have been pronounced blind by top ophthalmologists have been subsequently been shown to have some sight. It's very difficult to determine :)

I have looked after several totally blind rabbits and I can assure you they do very well :)

My Rosie is blind/partially sighted.Shes very elderly (doesn't really "do" humans) and bonded with another female-Petal- who was a nightmare in rescue but has calmed right down since being bonded with my Rosie.With the right friend Im sure he would be fine and calm down.Petal helps Rosie a lot and seems to understand her "difficulties".She is protective of her in a non aggressive way.These two will never be human orientated but I get a lot of pleasure from just watching them snuggle and being happy together.They have a very close bond and Rosie copes very well with her sight issues.

I only realised Rosie was losing her sight when she started "scanning".She doesnt bother anymore as I don't think she shes much at all if anything.I don't know I would really be aware she had sight problems if she hadn't gone through the scanning faze so please don't beat yourself up about not knowing Bertie had sight issues.They hide health issues so well as we know.

Last edited:
Thank you for all your lovely comments. We are trying all we can to try and deal with his behaviour and determine how to make his life less scary (and enriched).

We would still love to fine someone to adopt him but I know that's not likely to happen.

Thank you for all your lovely comments. We are trying all we can to try and deal with his behaviour and determine how to make his life less scary (and enriched).

We would still love to fine someone to adopt him but I know that's not likely to happen.
Does he have any other health issues? x

Back