• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Young Male White Lionhead (aggressive at times) -Chnage of plan- looking for n female

happybunny

Mama Doe
It is will great sadness that I am writing this. Rehoming a rabbit is not something I have ever wanted to do (or considered doing before) but I am at a loss at what to do.

At the end of August I had a call from my boss asking if I could temporarily take a rabbit in (for a few days) that was otherwise going to be released into the wild. My boss was unable to take the rabbit as she has a dog that would not have taken kindly to it.

My husband was against this but I agreed as long as it would be just a few days.

2 months later and my boss had been unable to find him a new home - during this time I had him neutered to try and calm his aggressive side. I said we would try and keep him. I tried to bond him with our recently bereft male but it did not end well.

Since then we have struggled to cope with him. We already have 10 rabbits (7 of which are males) and had agreed to no more. My husband resents the rabbit and feels we were forced to have him.

On top of that I have become a part time carer for my mum and am struggling to find time for my other animals never mind giving a single bunny the attention he needs.

I feel like such a failure!

Physical Description: White (with grey specles) lionhead
Temperament: can be aggressive and break the skin
Sex: male
Neuter Status : neutered
Vaccination Status: unknown.But I will happily have him done if it will help find him a home
Health: no issues that I know of
Type of home wanted: one that has time for him
Reason for rehoming: as above

Last edited:
I’d love to be able to help but I have no spare setups at the moment. I’ll let you know if I hear of anyone who can help.

Oh, and you’re certainly not a failure, don’t even think that! You did a kind thing taking in this rabbit, I hope you find him a home soon.

Thank you! That really means a lot.

I have probably completely under sold him too. He can be very sweet. He loves to play, wants attention and enjoys running around the house.

I do hope I can find him a home where he can be looked after properly and hopefully calm down and be the sweet bunny I know is in him x

You are doing the best for the bunny so I think you are wonderful. I used to foster springers and had on occasions to move a dog on as my home was not the best place for the dog. You were told this was short term but clearly not the case and yet you still keep caring. Well done to you, you are certainly not a failure :love:

I'm not in a position to take in another I'm afraid, but I hope you can find someone who will take him on. Is his aggression towards people as well as other rabbits?

You could try listing him on rabbit rehome.

With the rabbit we tried to bond him with he did the digging action continually on his back an caused a lot of damage. He seemed desperate for a friend but sadly we don't want to risk the pairs/groups we have by trying him with them.

I honestly think with patience and time he will calm down. Just need to find the right home for him. I am nervous of advertising him of rabbit regime due to his circumstances and the commitment he will need. I would prefer him to stay than go to the wrong home X

Thank you all for your kind words x

With the rabbit we tried to bond him with he did the digging action continually on his back an caused a lot of damage. He seemed desperate for a friend but sadly we don't want to risk the pairs/groups we have by trying him with them.

I honestly think with patience and time he will calm down. Just need to find the right home for him. I am nervous of advertising him of rabbit regime due to his circumstances and the commitment he will need. I would prefer him to stay than go to the wrong home X

Thank you all for your kind words x

If he isn't agressive with people then I wouldn't advertise him as agressive, I would put that he was agressive to the other rabbit that he was trying to be bonded with. He may be fine with a different partner, or he may not...

He is aggressive with people. He grumbles and bites. He actually jumped up and bit my Han the other day an broke the skin.

I am not sure how Aggressive he would be with the right bunny friend
X

How long had he been neutered for when you tried bonding him with your other rabbit? It can take six weeks for the hormones to die down.

Best of luck finding someone. If not could a local rescue help you?

He had been neutered for 8 weeks before I tried him with my male.

I don't want to add to a rescues problems and I am happy for him to stay until the right home can be found.

Is it worth keeping them out of sight and smell of each other and trying again in another neutral area in, say, 3 weeks?

My 10 year old male bun has PTSD, he's always been aggressive to people & other rabbits. For 6 years he lived alone next to another rabbit. Then we tried bonding but he rejected all of them. When he was 8 I adopted a pair of year old girls.. took a week to bond & they've all been happy ever since. He's growley & lunges at people still, but the biting stopped. He's not so sensitive to touch now so I can stroke his bum when he faces away & he's ok with it. He even licked me once, I cried :)

Aaaanyways, moral of the story is it's never too late & it can work out. I totally get why you'd rehome him as your priority has to be 'your own' rabbits but you're also going to struggle to find someone to take him I'm guessing. I don't know what to suggest but maybe Gwen at Bunny Burrows can help (maybe even take him, I don't know)

Awwwwwwwwwwww the link certainly does work. What a lovely lovely rabbit. Someone is going to be ever so lucky.

Back