• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Catching an escaped domesticated rabbit - HAPPY ENDING pg5

Oh I don't know what to say :(. So very risky, anything could have happened to them and it sounds like it potentially could when they get back there. Such a difficult situation for you x

Could you flee the country with bunny?
Seriously, I have no idea, but like you I couldn't bear the thought of having to return bunny to that terrible life. I'm racking my brains to try and think of a way round the situation to keep bunny safe, but am failing miserably. I wish there was some way I could help. I don't know if you could persuade him to let you keep the bunny and tell his granddaughter that he hadn't been found as it sounds like he really doesn't want the hassle of looking after him. Sending lots of being able to keep bunny safe vibes x

Thanks all. I spoke to the man at 2pm and said I could drop the bun over, but he was on his way to the next town over, so it'll be later on instead. I'm out from 6.30-8, so if I don't hear soon, then it'll be tomorrow...

No chance of feigning an escape - I'd have to take him back to the vets I reported him to for jabs/neutering, which'd give the game away!

Well, no missed calls, and no voicemails :? I'm glad I didn't wait in for him to phone. It's bucketing it down, so even if he does call, I'm going nowhere tonight if I can help it.

You'd be forgiven for thinking someone would want their pet back home asap :roll:

Perhaps he's just hoping you'll keep the rabbit. I have some neighbours who take exactly the same approach with their rabbits and hens.

What a horrible dilemma. I wouldn't want to send that poor bunny back there either [emoji17] He does seem pretty indifferent about the bunny's fate. I'm hoping that means with a bit of gentle nudging it'll be easier to persuade him to let you keep him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The phone rang just as I posted that last message.

Guess who has a new rabbit now??

The granddad did seem pretty clueless, but well meaning, albeit resigned that the rabbit would end up in the car park again. I put forward my offer of a home, if need be, and spoke to his granddaughter who actually sounded of an age with me. She has 9 dogs, many prey-drive breeds, which take up her time, and she'd actually spoken with her granddad about asking if I wanted to keep the bun before I even offered. I told her about my own buns, and their set ups, and how quickly he'd settled down, and she was happy enough. I wouldn't say they were pleased to be rid of him, more that they were happy he had somewhere safe to go.

He's been called Gizmo, but that won't fly around here! He's tucked back up in my spare room, a bit traumatised from the short car journey, but that couldn't be helped. I'll book him in for vacs and neutering tomorrow.

Prepare yourselves for lots of bondig questions and extended housing options :lol:

This is amazing news. Bunny doesn't know how lucky he is that you found him! I'd love to see pictures :)

Back