Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Catching an escaped domesticated rabbit - HAPPY ENDING pg5

Warren Scout

I know, right?? Thanks for the support. I had told her that it seems like a domestic rabbit, it’s not like I spent 2 hours trying to catch a wildie!

I’m not quite sure what I’ll do with it. I’m really hoping it’s a girl - I’m not sure if my boys will rebond, and maybe adding a female to make a trio would help things gel easier. If it’s a 3rd boy...I’m not sure. Maybe try bonding it with my submissive boy. There’s a local rescue that takes small animals, but they’re full to bursting with rabbits and guinea pigs - I was actually thinking of contacting them to offer fostering to ease their capacity, so I doubt they have room for another singleton bun.

Wise Old Thumper

Pure bogglement at the recepotionist's "advice" I would definitely mention it. Good luck with the apppointment and well done with all your efforts.

Warren Scout

Quote Originally Posted by capable View Post
    I know, right?? Thanks for the support. I had told her that it seems like a domestic rabbit, itís not like I spent 2 hours trying to catch a wildie!

Iím not quite sure what Iíll do with it. Iím really hoping itís a girl - Iím not sure if my boys will rebond, and maybe adding a female to make a trio would help things gel easier. If itís a 3rd boy...Iím not sure. Maybe try bonding it with my submissive boy. Thereís a local rescue that takes small animals, but theyíre full to bursting with rabbits and guinea pigs - I was actually thinking of contacting them to offer fostering to ease their capacity, so I doubt they have room for another singleton bun.
    Given that it was wondering around the car park a lot in plain sight, plus the colouring, suggests domesticated to me. Wild rabbits are a lot more cautious, it would be very unusual to see one in such an urban environment. So lovely that you found the poor thing, best of luck if you bond the newbie with your boys <3

Warren Scout

Just home from the vets.

No microchip, which is unfortunate. He's an unneutered male, which is also a bit unfortunate (possibly a sign of no owner, and also more awkward if I wound up keeping him). On the plus side, he's a good size and weight, no visible injuries bar a couple of marks in the fur of one ear. His claws aren't overgrown, his coat and back end aren't matted or messy, and from the (very brief) look at his teeth, they seem alright too - which all points to an owner, somewhere. The vets are posting on their social media, and I'll be sharing a post around too - hopefully someone is missing him, lots of fences came down in the storm a few days ago.

In the meantime, he's in one of my temporary 3x3 pens in my spare room. He's still pretty terrified, so I'm keeping interaction to feeding in the morning and evening, and an afternoon check in; the rest of the time he's being kept with the lights off, and in the quiet, with the windows open and radiator off so he doesn't acclimatise too much. Though I'm sure it's a bit warmer than living out in a car park!

He's not interested in the hay, but is scoffing the readigrass and making LOTS of poops, which is great. He's still avoiding the water bottle, but drinking great from a bowl.

I really hope I can locate an owner, all my contingency plans would've worked out far nicer if he'd been a girl bun!

Wise Old Thumper

Pity he isn't a girl! Hope it all works out ok. At least he's safe now.

Warren Scout

Newbie is coming on leaps and bounds (pun intended)! He's much less fearful than he was, and he's more than happy to come out the carrier and sit next to me through the bars, if I've got kale to bribe him! His ears are always up and forwards, with an adorably inquisitive look on his face. He's making my own lads look positively antisocial

The best part was when I was able to slowly start giving him head rubs, and the eyes started to close, he looked blissful bless him.

He's not at the stage of getting restless about the small pen, he's still settling in and getting used to the sounds and smells. The local rescue I posted about up the page had actually been out a few times already and tried to catch him, without luck. The woman I spoke to there was so relieved to hear he'd been brought to safety, and said to let her know if they could help at all. I'm still crossing fingers that an owner will materialise, but if not then I need to start thinking about his and my options.

...is it impossible to bond a trio of boys, do you think?

Mama Doe

I've had boy trios before. It worked well. Just make sure the newbie is neutered for a couple of months before you start bonding.

He sounds like he has settled in well it sounds like you are quite attached to him and he sounds adorable

Binky free at the bridge Boots, you will never be forgotten xxxx
    IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

Warren Scout

Quote Originally Posted by Zoobec View Post
    He sounds like he has settled in well it sounds like you are quite attached to him and he sounds adorable
    After free-roaming for so long, and the ordeal of being caught, I thought he'd be a panicked stress-head forever - it's so nice to see him come around. It's more indication that he should have an owner somewhere, really. He's a lovely lad who'd be a joy to keep, but I do hope someone comes forward for him!

Quote Originally Posted by capable View Post
    After free-roaming for so long, and the ordeal of being caught, I thought he'd be a panicked stress-head forever - it's so nice to see him come around. It's more indication that he should have an owner somewhere, really. He's a lovely lad who'd be a joy to keep, but I do hope someone comes forward for him!
    As you say, he may have an owner who is missing him. He certainly sounds very friendly he's lucky you are taking care of him

Binky free at the bridge Boots, you will never be forgotten xxxx
    IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES