• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Catching an escaped domesticated rabbit - HAPPY ENDING pg5

I just read through all your post and am so happy to read that it is a happy ending. What a lucky lucky bunny and he is is a cutie.

Wonderful story and such a delightful happy ending. What an adorable sweetie - a real handsome chap. So pleased he has got such a loving home to live in now.:love:

Well done and thank you for being so kind and generous. He looks lovely but very lost in that car park. Thank goodness you found him X

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Thank you everyone! I’m biased, but he is pretty damn gorgeous! He’s so smart too! He learnt how to lift the corners of the pen to unhook the posts holding it together :roll: Thankfully there’s nothing in the room that’d hurt him if he got his teeth into it, but judging by the poops on the back of the futon, he had a great time exploring! :lol:

I’m going to see about either getting some more panels to extend the pen, or clearing out most of the room and rabbit-proofing it. He’s booked in with my excellent vet on Friday for vaccinations and a more thorough health check. If he’s fine and dandy, then we’ll book in for neutering in the next week or so.

Wow, what a fabulous result for bunny! I can't tell you how relieved I am that he has found a loving home with you rather than go back to an unhappy existence. He looks very handsome and it sounds like he has you wrapped round his paw already!

I just missed your update last night and was wondering how this would go. But, Praise the Lord! I am so happy for you and the bunny!

A pox on everyone who encouraged me to keep this bun! (Joking! Sort of.)

He’d totally calmed down, and was inquisitive and friendly, so I enlarged his pen from 3x3 to 6x3. Room is approx 6x6, so he has 1 side, 1 corner is taken up by a futon which is piled with the Bits that spare rooms tend to collect, and the other corner the door opens into.

I thought he’d appreciate the extra hopping space, and bought some toys and chews to occupy him. He had a whale of a time at first, then dedicated his time to trashing the puppy pads and shoving the pen sides about - it sounded like thunder up there! Then we discovered that (as I’d secured the panels so he couldn’t lift them) he could just hop out instead! (3ft high!) :roll:

Sigh. Fine. I’ll extend the panels so the futon is caged off, and he gets the other 3/4s of the room. Nope, not good enough! He wants to go under the futon! He navigated my futile attempts to block it off with furniture and boxes, and ended up stuck on the futon side and was mad he couldn’t get to his readigrass :lol:

I had to admit defeat, so now he has the whole room. I’ll be moving the Stuff off the futon so he doesn’t chew anything he shouldn’t, but I’m concerned he might pee on it? :? Il also concerned what mischief he’ll decide to get up to, now there’s nowhere else to explore!

I swear, I’ve never known a more restless rabbit! Maybe my two lads are particularly dim, but neither one has been remotely interested in playing Houdini! Clearly newbie had gotten used to more liberty than he’s currently getting!

The plan had been to keep him indoors for 5-6 weeks, till post-neuter hormones had passed, then attempt to bond all my 3 singleton boys together, probably in the hallway, unless the spare room can be completely neutralised after 1 bun has been using it for a couple of months? But I don’t know how I’ll keep him occupied for that long! He’ll be climbing the walls! Idk how people have 100% indoor buns :lol:

:lol: I just re read that he is half wild. I had 2 half wild rabbits a few years ago, they were much less domesticated than your bunny, but they were very mischievous and comical. One of them used to climb 4ft vertically up the weldmesh of the run before flipping off :lol: their other favourite trick was running up the outside of the runaround pipe to leap on top of the spare hutch in their run. They never used the ramp when they had a 2 storey hutch, quicker to jump :lol:

Ah..... :roll::lol:

Dottie was a bit like this when she was inside, always doing something she shouldn't be. I frequently had to rescue her after she would squeeze herself between the puppy panels and the radiator (off), she would get so far and then get stuck, then we'd hear her digging at the carpet. Thankfully she's an outdoor rabbit now x

I’m sorry Capable but this is a hilarious thread. I’d been thinking up cunning plans to help you keep him, then read your update about how he’s basically taken up the spare room. Brilliant! Yes I know I wouldn’t be saying that if he was in my spare room...
Seriously though, he is really gorgeous looking and sounds like a real character. Loved the photos. Any name yet?

We’re really stuck on a name! If I’m not careful, it’s gonna end up as ‘Oi!’ Or ‘Quit that!’ :lol:

It already too late for the futon cushion - I thought he’d been peeing in the litter tray, where the hay and all the poops are... Apparently not. Tbf, I’d planned on getting rid anyway, but that’s not the point!

The panels are now mostly for decoration, but also stop him getting at the skirting boards too much. So now all he wants is to get to the skirting boards :roll: He’s also set his gorgeous, butter-wouldn’t-melt eyes on the door - he’s twigged there must be something interesting behind it and it must be lunged for, to keep me on my toes! He’s not managed it (yet), but he’d meet the very curious dog on the other side, which I don’t think anyone would take very well!

Are all indoor rabbits such furry dictators? :lol: He’s so super friendly now, but my gosh I can’t wait till he can go outside!

Back