Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Catching an escaped domesticated rabbit - HAPPY ENDING pg5

Warren Scout

Default Catching an escaped domesticated rabbit - HAPPY ENDING pg5

According to a local pets lost and found page, there’s a loose rabbit somewhere in a local car park.

It was last spotted this morning, so I went for a look. Found droppings (not fresh, unfortunately), and a large amount of white fur in a space in a large gorse patch, where someone has left a head of lettuce which has been nibbled on. Is it fair to guess that the buns main hiding place is probably where all the fur is? The gorse patch is way too thick to see into fully, let alone get ones self into. There’s another member of the public with a carrier full of hay placed just outside the gorse, where the lettuce had been put, but I wonder if anything else could be done? Thoughts?
    Last edited by capable; 09-01-2018 at 08:36 PM.

Wise Old Thumper

The carrier/hay is what I would have done. Maybe some nuggets under the hay at the back...

Some wild rabbits have colouring we think of as 'domesticated' so it might be people are trying to catch a wildie. Is it the owner who says it's their rabbit loose in the park?

Warren Scout

Not posted by an owner, more of a 'reported sighting'. There's a photo of it - a pretty large, predominantly white rabbit, with brown patches like an English Spot. It's right in the centre of town, I doubt there's many/any wildies around.

A couple more people have been to look, with no sightings. I imagine it'll keep hunkered down while the car park is busy and there's people around. I'll take a nip back later this afternoon when the shops start to close.

Alpha Buck

Ooh good luck, a bowl of pellets in the back of the carrier perhaps? Let us know.

Warren Scout

Caught the rabbit! Me and a couple of others must’ve been crossing paths all afternoon, but one woman lives across the road, and messaged me saying it was back in sight again. I spent a futile half an hour looking at it from a distance, and then two more lovely ladies turned up to help. 2 hours later, and I finally laid hands on the little booger.

It’s of a size and weight to my own lads, maybe chunkier, not skin and bone like I’d expected. Local taxi drivers say they’ve seen it loose for a few days now, but so far no one has reported missing it. It’s currently in quarantine in an indoor pen in my spare room (radiator off, window open), with the carrier, water and plenty of hay. I used some pellets to entice it into the carrier, but don’t want to give any more incase I upset it’s tummy, likewise no greens.

I’ll be taking it to the vet tomorrow to check for a microchip, hopefully it’s owners are looking for it!

Should I be concerned about my own boys? They’re both outside and vaccinated, and this newbie looks to be in fine fettle, plus there’ll be handwashing etc going between them.

Alpha Buck

Glad it’s safe now and out of this cold! Hope you find it’s owner.

Wise Old Thumper

Well done for catching it I really hope that the owners are looking for it and that it wasn't just dumped.

I think your boys should be OK, especially as they are vaccinated. Make sure you continue with the handwashing and touch him/her as little as possible.

Wise Old Thumper

Wow! Well done. I tried to catch a Dutch rabbit many years ago but failed as he/she just kept running under someone's shed everytime I moved. Hope having another rabbit around doesn't upset your boys.

Well done for catching it and looking after it. Hand washing and maybe changing clothes between visiting rabbits should be enough - I have a onesie, jacket & shoes I use when going out to foster rabbits. I don’t wear the onesie every time but if I don’t I try to change trousers before going back to my rabbits. That’s as much due to referred aggression as preventing cross infection though!

Warren Scout

Thank you! The car park is right in the centre of town, with some houses' rear yards backing onto it behind fencing, and the hedging. I say 'hedging', its mostly scrub, with some overgrown shrubs and a ton of gorse. The three of us were armed with the towels I'd brought, but when he/she realised we couldn't reach them in the centre of the bushes, I had to go in! I'm head to toe with scratches!

I've not actually touched the bun directly - I was wearing gloves when I pinned it, and wrapped it in my towel, then just opened the carrier when I got home. It's chilling out in the darkened spare room, I think if I tried to touch it again, it'd have a heart attack.

ETA: newbie is inside, and my lads are outside. The boys are also side-by-side, but separated, due to fighting pre-neuter, so hopefully no referred aggression to worry about.
    Last edited by capable; 07-01-2018 at 05:35 PM.