• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Priorities for spaying / neutering?

TheThreeB's

Mama Doe
Hi all,

I don't think there's any right or wrong answers to this necessarily, but I'm interested to hear others opinions.

I have 5 rabbits that require spaying / neutering (2 females and 3 males). Now Christmas is out the way, I need to start making a plan and looking at finances to get this sorted. (I'm leaving my job at the end of the month and currently have nothing lined up, but I do currently have enough money for 2 operations and will organise the rest in due course.)

My question is who to prioritise. The buns are:

Skye, Loki and Thor living separately outside, who will hopefully become a trio.
Blossom and Spud living separately inside, to become a couple.

Factors to consider: Blossom is 5+ so I don't won't to wait too long, if it's a good idea at all? / Is recovery impeded by being in the cold outside and it might be better to get the inside ones done initially? / Should I save up to have all 5 done at once, but then it's 5 recoveries?

Any thoughts, thanks x

I think a lot would depend on how long it's likely to be before the remaining three could be done. But on the situation as I see it, I would definitely do Blossom as a priority and probably then also Spud so that they could be bonded. As you say recovery is going to be better also inside.

If Skye, Loki and Thor were having behavioural problems I might re-assess, but I don't think so.

I know I was always told that after an op, a bunny should recover inside. it would also always be my own personal preference. it allows you to keep a better eye on them and catch anything if they are heading downhill. after surgery, mine have always become colder and struggled to retain body heat so being outside might add to that. but I don't know if that was just my bunnies kind of thing!!

I'd probably say get the indoor ones done first and the outside done later in the summer, unless one of the three outside is acting incredibly depressed due to not having a friend. but then, from what I have heard, it is easier to bond three together as "strangers" and not as a bonded pair +1. so you might not be any further forward as one wouldn't be fixed. it depends on how you do things.

If they were mine I'd have blossom and spud neutered first so that her recover can be focused on and they can be bonded once recovered.
Then I'd move onto the reaming three once finances are available.
As far as I understand the three live in close proximity and don't have any aggression issues due to this so I wouldn't feel rushed for them.

ETA - I'd have no concerns getting Blossom spayed if she is in general good health. Having her on fluids before/during/after will help with recovery if you'd like extra peace of mind.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I would get Spud neutered then he and Blossom can be bonded. I am on the fence as to having a 5+ doe spayed. I would wait until the weather is milder before having any outdoor bunnies neutered.

Thanks for all the replies, makes it a little easier to get my head around.

So it sounds like it's better to leave the outdoor three for a while longer so that the weather is warmer or at such time space becomes freed up inside for their recovery.

They all seem to be doing well. The boys share the shed with a division, we did wonder how they would get on with that, but it's been absolutely fine. I think it might be helped by the fact that Thor is one of the most chilled out buns I have met :). Skye is around the corner in the playhouse. She's such a friendly girl, very excitable and currently doesn't seem lonely.

I feel the same about Blossom, Tonibun, and is one of the reasons why I haven't taken her yet. If we didn't go ahead, would this mean that a potential bonding might be more difficult or not work?

Potentially Skye could be a match for Spud if Blossom wasn't an option, but that still leaves me with the two boys. Would I need another doe? :lol:

Im not too sure Omi, but potential a month or two later providing the first ones went well and there were no issues with recovery x

If they were mine I'd have blossom and spud neutered first so that her recover can be focused on and they can be bonded once recovered.
Then I'd move onto the reaming three once finances are available.
As far as I understand the three live in close proximity and don't have any aggression issues due to this so I wouldn't feel rushed for them.

ETA - I'd have no concerns getting Blossom spayed if she is in general good health. Having her on fluids before/during/after will help with recovery if you'd like extra peace of mind.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I agree with this. A full blood profile taken just prior to surgery to assess her major organ function would be another thing I'd request to obtain as much insight into her state of health as possible prior to a GA and surgery.

Should uterine abnormalities be found during surgery I'd want the Vet to get a chest Xray to look for evidence of metastatic disease. Doing so would mean that should the histopathology results from an abnormal uterus indicate UC I would at least have some idea as to whether, at the time of surgery, the UC had spread. If there was no evidence of spread at the time of surgery then the prognosis is far better and removal of the uterus and ovaries would have a very real chance of 'curing' the UC.

Obviously UC may not be an issue for Blossom at all, but given all of the cases I have seen and my Rabbit Savvy Vet has operated on (She is the Vet for a Rabbit Rescue) it is a condition I felt I should mention.Having seen the consequences of UC I would always have a Doe aged only 5 spayed (5 isn't 'old' as such) as long as she is in overall good health and the Vet carrying out the procedure was very Rabbit savvy.

As far as bonding Blossom unneutered shouldn't make any difference unless she is very hormonal. I agree with Jane technically, I have only had one middle-aged Doe spayed and I regretted it in that she lost her cheekiness and a lot of her personality. Before spay she was very lively, not hormonal, and such a lovely bunny. It is best to get neuters done while young.

Thanks for all the replies, makes it a little easier to get my head around.

So it sounds like it's better to leave the outdoor three for a while longer so that the weather is warmer or at such time space becomes freed up inside for their recovery.

They all seem to be doing well. The boys share the shed with a division, we did wonder how they would get on with that, but it's been absolutely fine. I think it might be helped by the fact that Thor is one of the most chilled out buns I have met :). Skye is around the corner in the playhouse. She's such a friendly girl, very excitable and currently doesn't seem lonely.

I feel the same about Blossom, Tonibun, and is one of the reasons why I haven't taken her yet. If we didn't go ahead, would this mean that a potential bonding might be more difficult or not work?

Potentially Skye could be a match for Spud if Blossom wasn't an option, but that still leaves me with the two boys. Would I need another doe? :lol:

Im not too sure Omi, but potential a month or two later providing the first ones went well and there were no issues with recovery x

Hi there :wave:

I am glad to hear your crew are all thriving, albeit becoming an expensive lot!

Daphnephoebe has given excellent advice, and I also agree with the opinions regards Blossom and Spud.

It's difficult, isn't it? Two boys could well get along once castrated :)

Thanks JJ I would definitely want to take extra precautions with her, so it's good to have that info.

On the other hand, what you've said Tonibun, is food for thought. She's a very chilled out bun, non destructive etc, so perhaps I shouldn't put her through an op :?

We've been worried that neutering could change Spuds personality, he's amazing and we wouldn't want him to change. Didn't that happen to someones bun on here (gracee ??). They weren't the same after.

It really is difficult MM :( x

Thanks JJ I would definitely want to take extra precautions with her, so it's good to have that info.

On the other hand, what you've said Tonibun, is food for thought. She's a very chilled out bun, non destructive etc, so perhaps I shouldn't put her through an op :?

We've been worried that neutering could change Spuds personality, he's amazing and we wouldn't want him to change. Didn't that happen to someones bun on here (gracee ??). They weren't the same after.

It really is difficult MM :( x

From the conversations I have had with Grace, I think her rabbit was a special case.
I wouldn't worry at all about personality change after castration :)

From the conversations I have had with Grace, I think her rabbit was a special case.
I wouldn't worry at all about personality change after castration :)

Thanks MM :wave: I think I'm just going to have to bite the bullet, I don't remember being this indecisive with the 5 we've had done in the past :? x

Thanks MM :wave: I think I'm just going to have to bite the bullet, I don't remember being this indecisive with the 5 we've had done in the past :? x

Welcome :wave:

It's never easy, is it? I had a rabbit spayed last year and I was a worry-bead. No, make that a necklace :lol:

So much less stressful when they come 'ready neutered' from a Rescue!

Welcome :wave:

It's never easy, is it? I had a rabbit spayed last year and I was a worry-bead. No, make that a necklace :lol:

So much less stressful when they come 'ready neutered' from a Rescue!

Yes, but that would be me making life easy for myself and when do I do that? :lol:

I think it might be because Blossom and Spud live inside, so we've all got really close to them. Not that the others are any less special, it's just different x

Back