• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dental

Yes, decide on a plan of action. Discuss it with your vet if needs be.

I think your plan of keeping the heating off ad giving Jimmy a snugglesafe is a good one :)

I personally wouldn't want to put a bunny who had just had a GA outside overnight, as at least here the temperatures have dipped below zero. You can also keep a better watch on his eating indoors.
Yes that is my plan. I am devastated he has go but I know it is for the best. No doubt this won't be the end of this discussion, I will probably be panic stricken and needing help when he comes home because knowing my rabbits if everything runs smoothly it will be a miracle. Thank you x

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Lots of vibes for Jimmys dental tomorrow. I think you were wise to reschedule his appointment. Rabbits vary so much both in how much they cope pre & / or post dental

Yes that is my plan. I am devastated he has go but I know it is for the best. No doubt this won't be the end of this discussion, I will probably be panic stricken and needing help when he comes home because knowing my rabbits if everything runs smoothly it will be a miracle. Thank you x

You're welcome :) I do get how anxious this makes you.

PM me any time if I can help, if only to 'listen' ... xx

Sending lots of vibes for Jimmy's dental tomorrow.
They're common procedure these days so should go without a hitch x

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Sending lots of vibes for Jimmy's dental tomorrow, Also sending lots of hugs for you.

Sending lots of vibes for Jimmy's dental tomorrow, Also sending lots of hugs for you.
Thank you, I have just packed his little Lunch box with his favorite things in it going he eats afterwards, Norah is going with him.. Wish it was me going instead [emoji853]xx

I have some fibreplex in the cupboard will this be useful after Jimmy has had his dental
I don't actually know what it's supposed to be for.

Thank you, I have just packed his little Lunch box with his favorite things in it going he eats afterwards, Norah is going with him.. Wish it was me going instead [emoji853]xx

It sounds like you will be spoiling him. Good for you and even better for him! Be sure to ask your vet for some pain meds to use at home if his mouth/jaw is a little sore after the procedure. Sending you and he some positive vibes.

It sounds like you will be spoiling him. Good for you and even better for him! Be sure to ask your vet for some pain meds to use at home if his mouth/jaw is a little sore after the procedure. Sending you and he some positive vibes.

I agree re the pain relief :)

Hope all goes well for Jimmy xx

Pleased he is going today he was avoiding his pellets this morning.good job I brought it forward. I will defo get metacam thanks

My doesn't routinely give pain relief after a dental, so a good idea to ask whether it's necessary in the vet's opinion :)

Pleased he is going today he was avoiding his pellets this morning.good job I brought it forward. I will defo get metacam thanks

I hope his Dental goes well and that he will be feeling a lot more comfortable once it has been done. My Vet always asks if I have enough Metacam in stock should it be needed after a Dental on any of my Rabbits. Although thankfully it is many years since I have had a 'Dental Rabbit'.

Vet has just phoned, it's all done but he isn't pooping or eating, they said to pick him at 4.30 and hopefully he will recover better when he gets home if not back to vets tomorrow morning. Oh the joys. Syringe feeding is not my forte. In fact I am useless at it. I don't have anyone around to help me so any advice on how to do it would be great.

I'm pleased it's all done. Hopefully he will start eating once he's home again. I'm no expert at syringe-feeding, but what I aim to do is to make it on the thick side and just put a small amount in the rabbit's mouth and wait for him to swallow before repeating. I never have, but some people add some Ella's Kitchen organic baby food to make it taste better.

I'm pleased it's all done. Hopefully he will start eating once he's home again. I'm no expert at syringe-feeding, but what I aim to do is to make it on the thick side and just put a small amount in the rabbit's mouth and wait for him to swallow before repeating. I never have, but some people add some Ella's Kitchen organic baby food to make it taste better.
Thank you I will try anything

Vet has just phoned, it's all done but he isn't pooping or eating, they said to pick him at 4.30 and hopefully he will recover better when he gets home if not back to vets tomorrow morning. Oh the joys. Syringe feeding is not my forte. In fact I am useless at it. I don't have anyone around to help me so any advice on how to do it would be great.

I have often mixed ground up pellets with some organic fruit or veg baby food and that has gone down well.

You can also give him the Fibreplex :)

There's some links here to inspire you ...

Some tips on syringing a rabbit either food or meds (same thing, but meds are quicker as there's less of it!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0dil7iQQCU

http://www.houserabbit.co.uk/pdfs/SyringeFeeding2014.pdf

http://www.towervets.co.uk/pet-factsheets/Factsheets/Otherpets/24_286509.shtml

I use a one ml syringe for just about everything, as I find it easier to manage :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQ1b49Qsgrk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfROVhKTMxI

You can also try feeding him fresh herbs, coriander, parsley and dill are often good ones :)

Back