• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dental

glitterdust

Warren Scout
Well jimmy is going for a dental on Tuesday, he is having 2 spurs filing down, the vet said they weren't bad at all just slightly overgrown but they said they are obviously a problem for Jimmy. what is the recovery from this, are they back to normal once the anaesthetic wears off or is it the whole drama of syringe feeding and worrying. he is still eating and pooping ,he is just slower at eating the pellets than usual. I took him back to the vets because I thought he had lost weight but he has actually gained weight. [emoji849] paranoid me. Any advice please

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Well jimmy is going for a dental on Tuesday, he is having 2 spurs filing down, the vet said they weren't bad at all just slightly overgrown but they said they are obviously a problem for Jimmy. what is the recovery from this, are they back to normal once the anaesthetic wears off or is it the whole drama of syringe feeding and worrying. he is still eating and pooping ,he is just slower at eating the pellets than usual. I took him back to the vets because I thought he had lost weight but he has actually gained weight. [emoji849] paranoid me. Any advice please

Recovery from a GA/Dental depends on the individual Rabbit. Some may be back to normal within a few hours, others may take a little longer. The Vet should give you a full account of exactly what was done during the procedure and if there was any soft tissue damage caused by the overgrown crowns of the teeth. Soft tissue damage will take a few days to resolve, so the soreness wont go away as soon as the Dental is done. In such cases ongoing daily pain relief is needed. The Vet should automatically prescribe this.

Prior to discharge the Vet should make sure that Jimmy has passed some poo and is nibbling at food. Sometimes it may be necessary for syringe feeding and prokinetics (gut motility meds) to be given post GA. Again, this is something that will be decided upon on an individual case basis.

My Vet has written these articles about Rabbit Dental issues

https://www.twickenhamvets.com/rabbit-dental-problems-part-1-malocclusion-cheek-teeth/

https://www.twickenhamvets.com/rabbit-dental-problems-part-2-malocclusion-incisors/

https://www.twickenhamvets.com/rabbit-dental-problems-part-3-abscesses-fractures/

And some more information about Rabbit Dentistry :

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Dental_diseases/Differential/Rabbit_dentistry.pdf

https://www.vetstream.com/treat/lapis/freeform/dental-malocclusion-overgrowth

I hope all goes well for Jimmy on Tuesday x

Recovery from a GA/Dental depends on the individual Rabbit. Some may be back to normal within a few hours, others may take a little longer. The Vet should give you a full account of exactly what was done during the procedure and if there was any soft tissue damage caused by the overgrown crowns of the teeth. Soft tissue damage will take a few days to resolve, so the soreness wont go away as soon as the Dental is done. In such cases ongoing daily pain relief is needed. The Vet should automatically prescribe this.

Prior to discharge the Vet should make sure that Jimmy has passed some poo and is nibbling at food. Sometimes it may be necessary for syringe feeding and prokinetics (gut motility meds) to be given post GA. Again, this is something that will be decided upon on an individual case basis.

My Vet has written these articles about Rabbit Dental issues

https://www.twickenhamvets.com/rabbit-dental-problems-part-1-malocclusion-cheek-teeth/

https://www.twickenhamvets.com/rabbit-dental-problems-part-2-malocclusion-incisors/

https://www.twickenhamvets.com/rabbit-dental-problems-part-3-abscesses-fractures/

And some more information about Rabbit Dentistry :

https://www.vetstream.com/treat/lapis/freeform/dental-malocclusion-overgrowth

I hope all goes well for Jimmy on Tuesday x
Thank you, I am going to cancel till the week after so I am off work and I can take more care of him. Will he have to come inside afterwards?i know he hates being inside. When Norah got spayed I had to give Jimmy the Critical care because he got stressed being indoors..

Thank you, I am going to cancel till the week after so I am off work and I can take more care of him. Will he have to come inside afterwards?i know he hates being inside. When Norah got spayed I had to give Jimmy the Critical care because he got stressed being indoors..

If he gets that stressed being indoors then he would probably be better remaining in his usual environment.However, Rabbits can struggle to maintain their body temperature after a GA, so you will need not make sure that he has lots of extra warm bedding and a heat pad may be beneficial. I would make sure you speak with the Vet about it all when you collect Jimmy. The Vet will be in the best position to assess if he is recovered enough to stay outdoors straight away. IMO the decision has to be made on a case by case basis, depending on the specific clinical and psychological needs of the individual Rabbit. I am not a fan of the 'one size fits all' approach !!

If he gets that stressed being indoors then he would probably be better remaining in his usual environment.However, Rabbits can struggle to maintain their body temperature after a GA, so you will need not make sure that he has lots of extra warm bedding and a heat pad may be beneficial. I would make sure you speak with the Vet about it all when you collect Jimmy. The Vet will be in the best position to assess if he is recovered enough to stay outdoors straight away. IMO the decision has to be made on a case by case basis, depending on the specific clinical and psychological needs of the individual Rabbit. I am not a fan of the 'one size fits all' approach !!
Thank you. The little sod ate all his pellets with no bother this morning. Hes been picky all week, took him vets again yesterday and today he's fine. Typical lol. Thanks for info though. Much appreciated yet again x

Sorry you've got worry yet again, glitterdust! That Jimmy :)

It's so difficult to say with rabbits and dentals - and of course there's always a risk from any GA.

I'm so glad to hear he's gained weight though, that's a good thing!

Medirabbit is always a good source of info for all things dental and rabbit:

Thank you. The little sod ate all his pellets with no bother this morning. Hes been picky all week, took him vets again yesterday and today he's fine. Typical lol. Thanks for info though. Much appreciated yet again x

He obviously decided that he didn't fancy a Dental just now ta very much !! I'd see how he does over the weekend and if he is 100% back to normal then maybe the Vet will suggest postponing the Dental for now. He/She may suggest taking him in to be reviewed after a couple of weeks, assuming all remains well during that time x

I second this! When Sonic had his second dental last Oct, they told me to make sure to bring him inside, but he's the same, I knew having him inside would stress him out more. Luckily it was quite warm for the time of year, but I covered his hutch in a thick, wool blanket, put extra fleece and hay inside. Needless to say, by morning he'd dug it all up, moved it out of his way and was sat in his usual spot with no bedding! :roll:

:lol:

I think Jimmy's got you around his little finger!

I know he has. He is not as daft as he looks. "Oh, here's the slave coming, if I don't eat she will give me banana and fenugreek crunches and tickle my ears for hours at a time and spend all her time with me ." he will be the death of me this boy. [emoji38]

I know he has. He is not as daft as he looks. "Oh, here's the slave coming, if I don't eat she will give me banana and fenugreek crunches and tickle my ears for hours at a time and spend all her time with me ." he will be the death of me this boy. [emoji38]

Oh I really hope not! :)

Jimmy has got fur loss under his chin and it's wet and red is this tooth related. I cancelled his dental till this following Monday because he started eating normally again, I'm in a tizzy because the rabbits are getting a new shed built on Sunday and I was gonna bring them both in the house Sunday while it was getting built and put them in there new home onSunday night. Jimmy's dental is on Monday, so shall I bring them in Sunday night and Monday night so I can look after him after his dental and then put them in the new shed. I am worried that them coming in the house and the vet visit, then the new environment is going to be far to much for them, then all the different temperatures . Am I overthinking things.. Everything is happening all at once. Help please, being the worrier that i am im in stress panic mode. Thanks in advance x

Jimmy has got fur loss under his chin and it's wet and red is this tooth related. I cancelled his dental till this following Monday because he started eating normally again, I'm in a tizzy because the rabbits are getting a new shed built on Sunday and I was gonna bring them both in the house Sunday while it was getting built and put them in there new home onSunday night. Jimmy's dental is on Monday, so shall I bring them in Sunday night and Monday night so I can look after him after his dental and then put them in the new shed. I am worried that them coming in the house and the vet visit, then the new environment is going to be far to much for them, then all the different temperatures . Am I overthinking things.. Everything is happening all at once. Help please, being the worrier that i am im in stress panic mode. Thanks in advance x

The wet sore chin is very likely to be Dental related. Could you call the Vet and ask if the Dental could be done tomorrow rather than leaving it til Monday ?

It is usually advisable for a Rabbit to be kept indoors overnight after a GA. But there are always exceptions such as for a Rabbit that becomes extremely stressed in an indoor environment.

Alternatively could you postpone the new shed building til next weekend ?

The wet sore chin is very likely to be Dental related. Could you call the Vet and ask if the Dental could be done tomorrow rather than leaving it til Monday ?

It is usually advisable for a Rabbit to be kept indoors overnight after a GA. But there are always exceptions such as for a Rabbit that becomes extremely stressed in an indoor environment.

Alternatively could you postpone the new shed building til next weekend ?
I have changed Jimmys appointment to tomorrow instead.The shed has to go ahead on Sunday as I have taken time off work for it. So when i get him home tomorrow shall I bring them both indoors just For one night to look after him then put them back in the shed on Saturday night and then back in the house for Sunday day time, While there new shed is being built.. It's always the same with me everything happens all at once. When Norah got spayed they stayed in the house for the week and Jimmy fretted to be back outside. Norah couldn't care where she Is. She would be happy on the moon [emoji4].. I'm nervous about tomorrow now. Are dentals common practise in rabbits and are they as severe as a spay or neuter.. He only has tiny spurs need taking off. No doubt I will be panicking and asking for advice when i get him home.

I have changed Jimmys appointment to tomorrow instead.The shed has to go ahead on Sunday as I have taken time off work for it. So when i get him home tomorrow shall I bring them both indoors just For one night to look after him then put them back in the shed on Saturday night and then back in the house for Sunday day time, While there new shed is being built.. It's always the same with me everything happens all at once. When Norah got spayed they stayed in the house for the week and Jimmy fretted to be back outside. Norah couldn't care where she Is. She would be happy on the moon [emoji4].. I'm nervous about tomorrow now. Are dentals common practise in rabbits and are they as severe as a spay or neuter.. He only has tiny spurs need taking off. No doubt I will be panicking and asking for advice when i get him home.

Dentals are a very common procedure and as Jimmy apparently only has some small spurs it should be a very straight forward procedure. If he hates being indoors then he may do better in his usual environment on Friday night as long as he has started to eat and poo and the outdoor accommodation is very well insulated. After a GA a Rabbit may struggle to maintain their body temperature.

It's best to wait and see how he is after the GA as you cant make any definite decisions about whether he needs to be indoors or not until then. Hopefully he will be almost back to his normal self by Sunday x

Hi there and sorry you're in panic mode. I completely understand!

I am glad you've got Jimmy's dental appointment for tomorrow now. I would bring him in - you've said you can keep him in a cool part of the house for one night? After a GA rabbits can't regulate their temperature so you don't want to risk anything happening. If they are going into a new shed immediately afterwards, that will be warmer than their previous accommodation, won't it?

Dentals are a very common procedure and as Jimmy apparently only has some small spurs it should be a very straight forward procedure. If he hates being indoors then he may do better in his usual environment on Friday night as long as he has started to eat and poo and the outdoor accommodation is very well insulated. After a GA a Rabbit may struggle to maintain their body temperature.

It's best to wait and see how he is after the GA as you cant make any definite decisions about whether he needs to be indoors or not until then. Hopefully he will be almost back to his normal self by Sunday x
Thank you I feel better already. He is eating fine now but I noticed when he lifted his head up All down his chin in a streak is stained fur and it's wet underneath his mouth and pink.. He has had trouble in and off with his eating so I am hoping this solves all his issues. Thanks

Hi there and sorry you're in panic mode. I completely understand!

I am glad you've got Jimmy's dental appointment for tomorrow now. I would bring him in - you've said you can keep him in a cool part of the house for one night? After a GA rabbits can't regulate their temperature so you don't want to risk anything happening. If they are going into a new shed immediately afterwards, that will be warmer than their previous accommodation, won't it?
Probably about the same. They are in an insulated shed now but my partner put it together and he's not the best at d.i.y and its a bit on the rough side so their new shed will be much better. I can keep them in tomorrow night while he's recovering that's no problem, but Jimmy is meant to be kept warm after a G.A but Norah won't need to be warm. so will keeping the heating off for Norah and giving Jimmy a snugglessfe be OK for both of them while they are inside.. On Sunday it will be no bother keeping them cool while their new home is getting built because I can plonk them in the sitting room and leave the patio door open, it will only be for a few hours. It's just tomorrow after the dental that concerns me most, they will both need different temps and I dont want to separate them. I'm Overthinking again probs but I just want to do the right thing by them. When I think what they have been through in the past , this is nothing really.

Thank you I feel better already. He is eating fine now but I noticed when he lifted his head up All down his chin in a streak is stained fur and it's wet underneath his mouth and pink.. He has had trouble in and off with his eating so I am hoping this solves all his issues. Thanks

That's OK. I am sure everything will fall in to place OK, but it is understandable that you are stressed about it all.

Probably about the same. They are in an insulated shed now but my partner put it together and he's not the best at d.i.y and its a bit on the rough side so their new shed will be much better. I can keep them in tomorrow night while he's recovering that's no problem, but Jimmy is meant to be kept warm after a G.A but Norah won't need to be warm. so will keeping the heating off for Norah and giving Jimmy a snugglessfe be OK for both of them while they are inside.. On Sunday it will be no bother keeping them cool while their new home is getting built because I can plonk them in the sitting room and leave the patio door open, it will only be for a few hours. It's just tomorrow after the dental that concerns me most, they will both need different temps and I dont want to separate them. I'm Overthinking again probs but I just want to do the right thing by them. When I think what they have been through in the past , this is nothing really.

Yes, decide on a plan of action. Discuss it with your vet if needs be.

I think your plan of keeping the heating off and giving Jimmy a snugglesafe is a good one :)

I personally wouldn't want to put a bunny who had just had a GA outside overnight, as at least here the temperatures have dipped below zero. You can also keep a better watch on his eating indoors.

Back