• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Small lump on Frank

zarathustra

Warren Scout
So I was giving Frank a bit of a fuss this evening, which was nice because he didn’t resist getting picked up, or try and climb over my shoulder.

During my stroking I felt a small pea sized lump on his right side. It felt hard, like a small scab on top.

They are due at the vets for their injections soon, so will get the vet to take a quick look, but I was wondering if there is anything I should be looking for in the mean time.

It was difficult to see as he hasn’t had any fur loss on the area so trying trying to hold the fur apart whilst holding onto him was tricky.

He is eating and drinking as normal, and doesn’t seem to be acting any differently. He also didn’t seem to show any signs of discomfort whilst I was investigating, and was quite happy sniffing my beard, it’s also dry I.e. not weeping, and although it was difficult to see there didn’t seem to be any signs of inflammation.

The boys do have a tendency to climb over each other, especially when it is time for nuggets, so I’m hoping it was just a scratch from that, but I do worry about the boys getting ill or injured.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I was giving Frank a bit of a fuss this evening, which was nice because he didn’t resist getting picked up, or try and climb over my shoulder.

During my stroking I felt a small pea sized lump on his right side. It felt hard, like a small scab on top.

They are due at the vets for their injections soon, so will get the vet to take a quick look, but I was wondering if there is anything I should be looking for in the mean time.

It was difficult to see as he hasn’t had any fur loss on the area so trying trying to hold the fur apart whilst holding onto him was tricky.

He is eating and drinking as normal, and doesn’t seem to be acting any differently. He also didn’t seem to show any signs of discomfort whilst I was investigating, and was quite happy sniffing my beard, it’s also dry I.e. not weeping, and although it was difficult to see there didn’t seem to be any signs of inflammation.

The boys do have a tendency to climb over each other, especially when it is time for nuggets, so I’m hoping it was just a scratch from that, but I do worry about the boys getting ill or injured.

Sorry to hear this, but most of the time they are cysts and no problem at all. Sometimes the vet would advise monitoring, and other times removing it and sending it off to the lab.

Yes you are right, it could be a little abscess from a scratch. In fact if they had just had their vax I would've suggested it was a reaction to the needle.

Some info here:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?387893-Anyone-had-a-rabbit-with-a-cyst

https://www.petmd.com/rabbit/conditions/skin/c_rb_abscessation

When are they due at the vet?

Sorry to hear this, but most of the time they are cysts and no problem at all. Sometimes the vet would advise monitoring, and other times removing it and sending it off to the lab.

Yes you are right, it could be a little abscess from a scratch. In fact if they had just had their vax I would've suggested it was a reaction to the needle.

Some info here:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?387893-Anyone-had-a-rabbit-with-a-cyst

https://www.petmd.com/rabbit/conditions/skin/c_rb_abscessation

When are they due at the vet?

Thanks, I’ve requested an appointment on Monday evening, but the vets will be in touch to confirm, hopefully some time next week at the latest.

From what we could see of it I think if it is a scratch that it is probably a few days old, as it seemed to be coming away, though I didn’t pull on it.

It’s not visible without having a root through his fur, and as he generally doesn’t like to sit still, ever, I probably only noticed by chance as I was holding him in the right position etc to feel it while stroking him.

My family think I’m weird to read up about rabbits and always checking on them etc.

Thanks, I’ve requested an appointment on Monday evening, but the vets will be in touch to confirm, hopefully some time next week at the latest.

From what we could see of it I think if it is a scratch that it is probably a few days old, as it seemed to be coming away, though I didn’t pull on it.

It’s not visible without having a root through his fur, and as he generally doesn’t like to sit still, ever, I probably only noticed by chance as I was holding him in the right position etc to feel it while stroking him.

My family think I’m weird to read up about rabbits and always checking on them etc.

If it has a scab as you say, then it's probably healing from a little war wound. Don't pull the scab off right now, but notice what's underneath (if you can!) when it comes away.

If it helps, you could trim the fur around it so you can see it easier without bothering him too much. Just a thought :)

If it has a scab as you say, then it's probably healing from a little war wound. Don't pull the scab off right now, but notice what's underneath (if you can!) when it comes away.

If it helps, you could trim the fur around it so you can see it easier without bothering him too much. Just a thought :)

Thanks, I might try that, or if I can get him to sit still with a carrot just have a better look in the daylight.

Just finished at the vets, it’s just a small scab, they were very good with their jabs, and just need to book them in for their second set of jabs and to get their bits chopped off in 4 weeks

Just finished at the vets, it’s just a small scab, they were very good with their jabs, and just need to book them in for their second set of jabs and to get their bits chopped off in 4 weeks

Glad all is OK :)

I like the way you say 'just need to book them in ...' then mention having their bits chopped off :shock::lol:

Back