• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Oreo U/Date 30.01.18 - He's Gone! U/Date PM

tonibun

Wise Old Thumper
The results were his Cholesterol is low and Liver enzymes low. They gave him 2 injections - Anivit B12 and Laurabolin and sent him home with Panacur. I have to take him back in 2 weeks to see if he has put any weight on. Does anyone have any more advice on this?

Last edited:
The results were his Cholesterol is low and Liver enzymes low. They gave him 2 injections - Anivit B12 and Laurabolin and sent him home with Panacur. I have to take him back in 2 weeks to see if he has put any weight on. Does anyone have any more advice on this?

Did the Vet check kidney function ?

What did the vet say had caused this?

How old is Oreo?

Did the Vet check kidney function ?

The Vet 'phoned me up and I missed some of what she said as the line wasn't very good. I am sure she said his kidneys were ok, it might be his liver or he isn't absorbing the nutrients through his gut. They didn't say what might have caused it. He seemed different post neuter but that was a year ago. It's a mystery. If he hasn't put any weight on in 2 weeks they can do further tests.

The Vet 'phoned me up and I missed some of what she said as the line wasn't very good. I am sure she said his kidneys were ok, it might be his liver or he isn't absorbing the nutrients through his gut. They didn't say what might have caused it. He seemed different post neuter but that was a year ago. It's a mystery. If he hasn't put any weight on in 2 weeks they can do further tests.

One of my rabbits showed abnormal liver enzymes on testing, although the kidneys were functioning normally. He too had a problem with weight.

I am sure the anabolic steroid will help, and the B vitamins :D

Do you know how old he is?

It sounds as though the Vet wants to rule out protein losing enteropathy (which is rare in Rabbits)

https://emedicine.medscape.com/article/182565-overview

Did the Vet mention treating for possible hepatic coccidiosis ? Far more common than PLE. A severe coccidia load can cause low albumin levels (albumin is a liver enzyme).

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Parasitic/Hepatic_coccidiosis_rabbits.htm

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id...protein losing enteropathy in rabbits&f=false

I expect that your Vet is aware that treatment with Panacur does not address coccidiosis. Also, if a Rabbit is on Fenbendazole (the active ingredient in Panacur) it might effect liver enzyme levels should a blood test be taken again whilst Oreo is on it.

Oreo is 2 yrs old. When he was neutered I noticed he calmed down drastically straightaway but otherwise he was normal. The other thing I have noticed is now and again he will produce an irregular shaped pooh. He is much quieter than the average bunny but eats well and spends a lot of time munching on his hay. When the Vet felt his tummy she thought it felt a bit doughy? I also asked her to examine his ears as I have noticed him shaking his head a couple of times, which is not normal. She said they were a bit crusty but mustn't have considered it to be connected with his condition.

Oreo had a check-up this am and he has lost nearly 3 g since he was admitted. I never asked the Vet tocheck his teeth before (stupid of me) and I have been watching himeat regularly, so today the Vet had alook at his teeth and she said they are spiky on the lower molars but no soreness. So she has recommended he has a dental. My question is would this result in low liver enzymes and I guess the answer is no. I don't feel he is in a strong enough position to undergo a GA. Sorry willhave to leave it here as CP is playing up.

Oreo had a check-up this am and he has lost nearly 3 g since he was admitted. I never asked the Vet tocheck his teeth before (stupid of me) and I have been watching himeat regularly, so today the Vet had alook at his teeth and she said they are spiky on the lower molars but no soreness. So she has recommended he has a dental. My question is would this result in low liver enzymes and I guess the answer is no. I don't feel he is in a strong enough position to undergo a GA. Sorry willhave to leave it here as CP is playing up.

Did you ask the Vet about 'Hepatic Coccidiosis' as mentioned in my previous post ?

It sounds as though the Vet wants to rule out protein losing enteropathy (which is rare in Rabbits)

https://emedicine.medscape.com/article/182565-overview

Did the Vet mention treating for possible hepatic coccidiosis ? Far more common than PLE. A severe coccidia load can cause low albumin levels (albumin is a liver enzyme).

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Parasitic/Hepatic_coccidiosis_rabbits.htm

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id...protein losing enteropathy in rabbits&f=false

I expect that your Vet is aware that treatment with Panacur does not address coccidiosis. Also, if a Rabbit is on Fenbendazole (the active ingredient in Panacur) it might effect liver enzyme levels should a blood test be taken again whilst Oreo is on it.

Changes in the Red and White blood cells can be found in Rabbits with chronic Dental Disease. I dont think Dental problems effect liver enzymes directly, but may do so as a result of poor gut motility (secondary to Dental problems).

One of my rabbits has had low liver enzymes, and it's a tricky one to say what's caused it.

It could be that less eating is affecting the liver, or possibly being an older bun - which of course Oreo isn't.

Did you ask the Vet about 'Hepatic Coccidiosis' as mentioned in my previous post ?

Changes in the Red and White blood cells can be found in Rabbits with chronic Dental Disease. I dont think Dental problems effect liver enzymes directly, but may do so as a result of poor gut motility (secondary to Dental problems).

Yes I asked the Vet re |Coccidiosis and she said there would be Diarhoea present if this was the case? If Oreo was to have a dental, could they do an x-ray of his tummy area and also test for Coccidiosis?

Yes I asked the Vet re |Coccidiosis and she said there would be Diarhoea present if this was the case? If Oreo was to have a dental, could they do an x-ray of his tummy area and also test for Coccidiosis?

Not with Hepatic Coccidiosis

If you read all of the link above you will see information about diagnostics for the condition.

If Oreo had a GA/Dental then the Vet could also do abdominal Xrays. But it may be more useful to have an U/S scan of his liver if the Vet thinks Liver Disease may be an issue. An U/S scan of the Liver should not require a GA.

How abnormal were the liver enzymes? Did the vet not suggest a cause/treatment?

Oreo eats hay all day long. I check on him about 10 times a day and he is chewing away which makes me doubt that it's his teeth. But he leaves some pellets, which is not normal, to go to his hay. Rather than put him through a dental I think I will ask the Vet if they can do an US scan of his liver and a cocciodosis test then those 2 possibles have been covered. Would you agree with this?

Oreo eats hay all day long. I check on him about 10 times a day and he is chewing away which makes me doubt that it's his teeth. But he leaves some pellets, which is not normal, to go to his hay. Rather than put him through a dental I think I will ask the Vet if they can do an US scan of his liver and a cocciodosis test then those 2 possibles have been covered. Would you agree with this?

It seems a reasonable course of action to me, but that's just my unqualified opinion x

That sounds to be a more suitable course of action IMO

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Agree with DP :)

How abnormal were the liver enzymes? Did the vet not suggest a cause/treatment?

I never thought to ask. They were going to do an x-ray as a follow-up. I am waiting for the Vet to 'phone me back atm with a view to having his liver US scanned, as if it is liver cancer there is no point in him having a GA/dental, is there?

Back