Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rabbit less interested in eating hay?

Yeah - he won't really let me check his teeth, at the most I can muster spotting the top portion. Is it supposed to have discoloration if there's a problem? They're pretty white and look decent to me. The only way I can 'tell' is when he yawns. His gums are pink. Problem if they look curled or yellowish? ( i'm looking over various different images indicating some form of dental issues ). I'll keep an eye on him if the possibility arises, overall can be concluded he needs less pellets.

My rabbit does teeth grinding a lot, specifically when I pet him - however it has been taken into account he does it while he's happy throughout its expanse. He does it occasionally when he's chilling so I don't know what that really means, other than that - he doesn't really make it loud? ( my hearing is a bit damaged so I can't say for 100% accuracy ).

Problem is with rabbits and their tiny mouths is it makes home monitoring difficult and really only a dental check at the vets can confirm using an otoscope.

The teeth grinding can mean pain and discomfort, but if itís only while petting this could be your bunny doing it because itís really enjoying the fuss. Mine does it also when heís super calm and lays his head on the floor, for cheek teeth health they periodically grind their teeth to keep them worn.

As for the non hay eating, like others have said less pellets did the trick with my fussy two. An egg cup a day is the right amount (roughly) and to trick them you can sprinkle the pellets in the hay so they eat the hay too. You can also make the hay more fun and tasty by adding dry forage leaves, flowers or herbs (all bunny safe of course!).

I know itís difficult when they start getting fussy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is he shut in a cage that is too small to take a litter tray? Rabbits need to run and jump. Hopefully you mean it is his base. A puppy pen round it is a good way to give extra space without the expense of another cage.

Hope you find out the cause of his minimal hay eating.

I have four rabbits in a 6 x 6x shed with a 7 x 5 run available 24/7. They have three handfulls of pellets a day between them and three large underbed storage boxes with newspaper and hay and a magazine rack with hay which is topped up twice a day.

I love rexes. Would love to see a picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Truffpuff View Post
    Problem is with rabbits and their tiny mouths is it makes home monitoring difficult and really only a dental check at the vets can confirm using an otoscope.

The teeth grinding can mean pain and discomfort, but if itís only while petting this could be your bunny doing it because itís really enjoying the fuss. Mine does it also when heís super calm and lays his head on the floor, for cheek teeth health they periodically grind their teeth to keep them worn.

As for the non hay eating, like others have said less pellets did the trick with my fussy two. An egg cup a day is the right amount (roughly) and to trick them you can sprinkle the pellets in the hay so they eat the hay too. You can also make the hay more fun and tasty by adding dry forage leaves, flowers or herbs (all bunny safe of course!).

I know itís difficult when they start getting fussy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I did happen to include some of his cilantro to his hay, believing it sparked the activity of him eating his hay. I aimed to have him try flowers ( rose petals ) but he basically ignored them. While this address of the issue has been dicussed, there hasn't been any devolpment on medical condition terms; I've been checking his mouth but he's absolutely fine, behavior is the same, nothing forming deemed as problemantic, he doesn't insisutate he's in discomfort. May as well be the fault of overthinking/probable I was giving him unlimited pellets spite in a small amount. He has been eating his hay again, several weeks ago before this update and on-going! Another method assisted the situation by putting his hay near his potty corner, as the former participations claimed rabbits enjoy it immensely when they're eating and taking a restroom break.

Quote Originally Posted by tulsi View Post
    Is he shut in a cage that is too small to take a litter tray? Rabbits need to run and jump. Hopefully you mean it is his base. A puppy pen round it is a good way to give extra space without the expense of another cage.

Hope you find out the cause of his minimal hay eating.

I have four rabbits in a 6 x 6x shed with a 7 x 5 run available 24/7. They have three handfulls of pellets a day between them and three large underbed storage boxes with newspaper and hay and a magazine rack with hay which is topped up twice a day.

I love rexes. Would love to see a picture.
    It's his base. He's only shut in his cage during the night -- since his tendencies of chewing on the carpet is very well known and I literally cannot get him to stop, and the possibilities he'd make a lot of racket trying to jump on his cage ( especially due to rabbits being more active at night ) while my sister gets really fussy if he dares makes exccessive noise. -_- Honestly, I would really love if he could be out of his cage 24/7 but the lack of supervision onto him somewhat prevents that.

Since someone offered him to me due to the lack of time to care of him, I can assume he was possible a free-roam bunny taking the first beginning days, he was quite demanding to be let out. So we had adjust the room accordingly to his preferences so he wouldn't get into everything ( he was firstly a free-roam bunny until he ended up chewing up a lot of things and because my sister is still allegedly intimidated by him albeit his personality has changed so much compared to when he was sexually frustrated ); I do try to give him lots of space to run around, our room is fairly small, so the space he sometimes get involves have of available manuevering space, times are people end up complaining about the expansion since I'm sharing a room ( aspiring this will be the last till we move again shortly ), or he just chills around the area. The smaller versions of a litter tray, those you'd spot in the pet stores may fit, but I barely have the money to get him the most fitting one as they're expensive ( the rabbit ones are like around 16-17 dollars including tax, as I've been thinking of including that and a fleece blanket that way we don't have to worry about getting bedding so often. ) The tub-version of a litter tray may be a little too big to fix into his cage. I don't like having him crammped up in small spaces but my family doesn't really care what's beneficial for a rabbit's needs outside of food, hay, and bedding and a cage ( not posing secondary thoughts whether or not it'd be too small for my current breed of rabbit, the size of the cage has been conceded to be too small for him, there still hasn't been any effort to get him a new one though, I would if I had the money and better luck getting jobs that intrigue me.... )
    Last edited by WolfLover456; 13-02-2018 at 04:15 PM.