Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rabbit less interested in eating hay?

Default Rabbit less interested in eating hay?

It's been awhile since I've last posted, I took people's advice and got him new toys in hopes to further alleviate his boredom ( to intice his interest away from chewing on the carpet; still unresolved ). Ever since I got him them, he's been less interested in eating his hay, as of late, I've been buying him new hay feeders for his old one was practically covered in bite marks and taken into account how often he would pull it off from where it was and throw it all around his cage. A plastic one that essentially could only worked by being hung outside of his cage was pretty much ignored, I went back to the store to return it and got him a new one. Sparse interaction has been engaged with the new one, but I'm not sure if he has eaten from it, he did eat some from it this morning. If I place hay on the cage's floor, he just sits on it/mixes it with his bedding or ignore it entirely. He's drinking fine, eating his pellets fine, got him a new bowl at that -- he's reacting to me as always, binkying, playing his toys, getting excited for treats, demanding me to pet him. One of his toys, actually, had hay stuffed in it ( it was like some straw/hay built carrot toy and he basically pulls the hay out/munches them into smaller portions and doesn't bother with them ), I hand him a piece, he'll take it but then immediately drop it. I'm not sure if he's 'full' from eating willow balls ( which may be a tad contradictory seeing he goes for his pellets just fine ) and his other chew toys that's degrading his need to eat hay or needs time to grow accustomed to his new hay feeder.

It could be a number of things but the main things I'd consider are dental pain causes by spurs or similar, and maybe he just doesn't like eating from the hay rack.

A check up with a rabbit savvy vet will confirm if the teeth are an issue.
    Hopefully others will be along shortly - I can't provide a proper reply as I'm at work atm

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
    I'm doing the Race For Life 5k in aid of Cancer Research on the 8th July. If you'd like to sponsor me, please do at the following link: https://fundraise.cancerresearchuk.o...e-for-life-204

As DP has said, I would suspect dental,or that he is eating too many other things such as pellets, treats etc. An eggcup full of pellets is enough for adult rabbits, depending on their size and weight, so if he is having more than that you could try gradually reducing the amount of pellets until he only has an eggcupful size portion. And I would cut out sugary commercial treats too.

I would get his teeth checked and try feeding different types of hay too

Binky free at the bridge Boots, you will never be forgotten xxxx
    IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

I think a lot of rabbits can be picky hay eaters and will choose pellets over hay. In the past with some of my rabbits I had to slowly reduce pellets and encourage them to eat more hay. Took some time and I was very careful to watch their weight and their poop during this transition, but it worked and they became good hay eaters

I wouldn't say he doesn't; his first one he had no problems eating out of. If it were dental problem, wouldn't he be reluctant to eat his pellets, I gave him new food yesterday and checked his bowl today; he ate, that's more harder than his hay and I also got him crunchy treats way better than the sugary ones ( carrot flavored ) and he seems to eat them just fine as well?

But I'll keep it mind and be sure to check up on him to ascertain whether or not it is urgent, I don't want to stress everyone out due to money problems and give myself panic attacks worrying too immensely about his health.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoobec View Post
    As DP has said, I would suspect dental,or that he is eating too many other things such as pellets, treats etc. An eggcup full of pellets is enough for adult rabbits, depending on their size and weight, so if he is having more than that you could try gradually reducing the amount of pellets until he only has an eggcupful size portion. And I would cut out sugary commercial treats too.

I would get his teeth checked and try feeding different types of hay too
    I can bring myself to surmise giving him pellets frequently may be at fault, he's eaten a lot of hay everyday till me admitting this problem. He has no issue eating anything else. His new bowl is somewhat smaller than his old one, so I don't try to fill it up to the brim, instead by approximate measurement in comparisons to a measuring cup 1/4? as his food bag insists. He's a mini-rex. He has tried other hay, Forti-diet, Timony ( which I practically assumed is his favorite for we mainly give him that one, no problems up until now ). He hadn't issues against eating them.

Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    I think a lot of rabbits can be picky hay eaters and will choose pellets over hay. In the past with some of my rabbits I had to slowly reduce pellets and encourage them to eat more hay. Took some time and I was very careful to watch their weight and their poop during this transition, but it worked and they became good hay eaters
    He used to devour his hay just fine - hm - maybe I am giving him too much pellets. I fill his bowl in the mornings and at nights judging how much he has left, if nothing. I probably have to do the same thing with him again, I've placed some hay on the ground where he likes to lay/sit through the night or day bc he's tuckered out due to being a hyperactive bunny and adjust his rack to see what makes it more adequate to pique his interest. Also put some hay alongside his pellets.

Wise Old Thumper

Have you tried a litter tray filled with hay, as rabbits love to sit in the tray chewing on their hay? The recommended amounts on food packets are usually much too high. How big is your bunny?

Quote Originally Posted by tonibun View Post
    Have you tried a litter tray filled with hay, as rabbits love to sit in the tray chewing on their hay? The recommended amounts on food packets are usually much too high. How big is your bunny?
    Sadly, I don't have one. His cage is too small to fit one in and I'm hoping we get a new for him sooner or later ( I asked when but never given an appropriate answer excluding the disheartening response "people's needs comes before an animal's" in my household which I strongly disagree with ). There was an ideal cage when I was in the pet store a few days ago fairly cheaper compared to the others, I'm likely needing to find a new job in order to get it if they don't bother. He does have a chewing box that it's a mixture of hay within, not sure if he has picked any out lately. He's a mini-rex, when we had him for a checkup on the for the proceedings of his neutering he was around 4 lbs.

He's eaten some from the little pile I've placed in his cage, gave him his play area and he took some from his box I do believe, his behavior is the same as always - so I'm here to assume I may be giving him too much pellets.

I should mention I have checked/felt around his mouth/cheeks/chin for any abnormalities awhile ago after the previous message. There is no lumps from my acknowledgement, and he doesn't appear to show discomfort to my touch, I haven't checked his teeth itself judging if he'll let me, but I think he's okay.
    Last edited by WolfLover456; 04-01-2018 at 07:33 PM.