• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mites...(UPDATE AND NEW QUESTION)

Charmednm

Mama Doe
Just found what I believe has to be mites on clover. Is there anything I can do? (Other than a very visit for xeno I’m assuming)

Feeling rather rotten right now :cry:

Last edited:
Yeah there’s two little bald spots and quite a bit of flaking. We only discovered it when we were clippinger her nails. Feeling rotten as i have a horrible feeling they’ve been there for a bit. But she hasn’t been different, doing everything normal. :cry:

Just found what I believe has to be mites on clover. Is there anything I can do? (Other than a very visit for xeno I’m assuming)

Feeling rather rotten right now :cry:

Don't feel rotten!

You can get Xeno over the counter :)

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Parasitic/furmite/fur_mite.htm

https://www.viovet.co.uk/Pharmaq_Ivermectin_Spot-On_Drops/c19097/

The treatment is usually repeated three times, at two week intervals, on all rabbits living together.

Hope this helps :wave:

Don't feel rotten!

You can get Xeno over the counter :)

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Parasitic/furmite/fur_mite.htm

https://www.viovet.co.uk/Pharmaq_Ivermectin_Spot-On_Drops/c19097/

The treatment is usually repeated three times, at two week intervals, on all rabbits living together.

Hope this helps :wave:

So you dont think I need to actually see the vet?

Should I buy and then treat? And if not better in say two weeks then see vet? After a good bit of research I’m sure it’s mites. And other than the balding, flaking and scratching (when I comb through the areas) she is completely normal (eating drinking, pooping)

Should I buy and then treat? And if not better in say two weeks then see vet? After a good bit of research I’m sure it’s mites. And other than the balding, flaking and scratching (when I comb through the areas) she is completely normal (eating drinking, pooping)
Yes. If there is absolutely no improvement after 2 weeks or its getting worse of you're just worried, pop to the vets before applying the 2nd treatment. (If you apply another treatment before vets they can't do anything for you).

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Yes. If there is absolutely no improvement after 2 weeks or its getting worse of you're just worried, pop to the vets before applying the 2nd treatment. (If you apply another treatment before vets they can't do anything for you).

Great thanks! My girl poppy had ear mites year and years ago, and they treated her with xeno. And if I can treat myself I’d rather do that than stress her with the vet unless absolutely nessecary as she proper huffs after vet visits and refuses to eat :roll: then that stresses me.

It depends on whether you feel you've correctly identified the mites :)

You could do as you say, and go back after two weeks, though you may not see an improvement until after the second dose, so a month's time :)

Mites is usually a symptom of a rabbit's immune system being a bit low, so keep your eye out for anything else that might be going on at right now :thumb:

It depends on whether you feel you've correctly identified the mites :)

You could do as you say, and go back after two weeks, though you may not see an improvement until after the second dose, so a month's time :)

Mites is usually a symptom of a rabbit's immune system being a bit low, so keep your eye out for anything else that might be going on at right now :thumb:

I will do thank you!

So since applying the ivermectin I’ve noticed a lot less itching and she’s that wee tiny bit more active, so
I’m guessing she’s not bothered as much. She still won’t let me near her back with a hand or a brush. So I have a question about what happens to the mites. Do they just die and fall off or do I need to get a specific type of comb when she finally lets me bear her. Or can I get special bathing wipes?

So since applying the ivermectin I’ve noticed a lot less itching and she’s that wee tiny bit more active, so
I’m guessing she’s not bothered as much. She still won’t let me near her back with a hand or a brush. So I have a question about what happens to the mites. Do they just die and fall off or do I need to get a specific type of comb when she finally lets me bear her. Or can I get special bathing wipes?

If she won't let you go near her, and it's going to cause stress, then I would leave things as they are. The mites will die and eventually disappear (she will groom old fur and dead skin away)

She sounds to be doing better? :)

If she won't let you go near her, and it's going to cause stress, then I would leave things as they are. The mites will die and eventually disappear (she will groom old fur and dead skin away)

Ahh thank you, and yeah for all I had said she herself hadn’t changed. I then noticed that she was scratching a bit more.

But now she’s scratching less and has been more active than usual :)

This. She'll do the grooming so often they don't need our help.

Glad she seems to be improving. Keep up with the treatments but she should be clear in another 4 to 6 weeks.

That's great that the treatment seems to be working.

We had to treat our boy Thor, as he arrived with them. It was really effective and he's all clear now. We didn't do anything special re brushing or anything, it just all disappeared and his coat is looking lovely now x

We had to treat our boy Thor, as he arrived with them. It was really effective and he's all clear now. We didn't do anything special re brushing or anything, it just all disappeared and his coat is looking lovely now x

That’s really comforting to hear thank you!!

The other two didn't have them?

The other two didn't have them?

Nope, fortunately. They all had a thorough vet health check and were fine. In all honesty I don't know too much about mites, the buns were living in that 3 tier hutch, so no contact, but can they potentially get passed on from the owner going between them? (goes off to Google.... :lol:) x

Nope, fortunately. They all had a thorough vet health check and were fine. In all honesty I don't know too much about mites, the buns were living in that 3 tier hutch, so no contact, but can they potentially get passed on from the owner going between them? (goes off to Google.... :lol:) x

I reckon they could've hopped from hutch to hutch, with that arrangement :)

But to answer your question, they can temporarily 'infest' humans while they are holding the rabbit!

Back