• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mites...(UPDATE AND NEW QUESTION)

This. She'll do the grooming so often they don't need our help.

Glad she seems to be improving. Keep up with the treatments but she should be clear in another 4 to 6 weeks.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I agree that this is generally the case unless there is some specific reason as to why a Rabbit is unable to groom themselves very well. Inability to self groom efficiently can lead to mites developing in the fist place. Conditions such as Dental problems or arthritis can make self grooming difficult for a Rabbit. Hopefully none of this applies to your Rabbit though Charmednm :)

I agree that this is generally the case unless there is some specific reason as to why a Rabbit is unable to groom themselves very well. Inability to self groom efficiently can lead to mites developing in the fist place. Conditions such as Dental problems or arthritis can make self grooming difficult for a Rabbit. Hopefully none of this applies to your Rabbit though Charmednm :)

I am confused as to why she has them and such a bad bout of them, as I constantly see her grooming and always In the awkward positions and she a great hay eater and scoffs all her food right up so I can’t see it being dental. As I assume she’d have eating problems then. :?

I am confused as to why she has them and such a bad bout of them, as I constantly see her grooming and always In the awkward positions and she a great hay eater and scoffs all her food right up so I can’t see it being dental. As I assume she’d have eating problems then. :?

Perhaps keep a check on her weight. Weigh her a couple of times a week. A heavy mite infestation can occur if a Rabbit is 'run down' in some way, their immune system being compromised. Unexplained weightloss and a heavy mite infestation would prompt me to seek further investigations by the Vet.

But as I have said, it is only a thing to bear in mind. Having mites does not automatically mean there is anything untoward going on. All this talk of mites is making my itch !!

Hi there :wave:

Mites are so common and really nothing much to worry about!

They can be a symptom of something, or of nothing at all :)

A rabbit will get them when they are perhaps 'run down' and their immune system is a bit low. Moulting can also make a difference to a rabbit's energy levels too and it can happen at times like that.

I doubt your rabbit has any dental or other issues and I really wouldn't worry at all :D

Perhaps keep a check on her weight. Weigh her a couple of times a week. A heavy mite infestation can occur if a Rabbit is 'run down' in some way, their immune system being compromised. Unexplained weightloss and a heavy mite infestation would prompt me to seek further investigations by the Vet.

But as I have said, it is only a thing to bear in mind. Having mites does not automatically mean there is anything untoward going on. All this talk of mites is making my itch !!

Hi there :wave:

Mites are so common and really nothing much to worry about!

They can be a symptom of something, or of nothing at all :)

A rabbit will get them when they are perhaps 'run down' and their immune system is a bit low. Moulting can also make a difference to a rabbit's energy levels too and it can happen at times like that.

I doubt your rabbit has any dental or other issues and I really wouldn't worry at all :D

Thanks, I have and will be keeping a close eye on her. And as soon as I found them I itched all over, still am :L

Back