• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sheet material for an indoor pen

Casco

Mama Doe
My set up is partly wood & mesh panels I made, partly heavy duty puppy pen (I made a pen then decided it needed to be bigger and adding puppy pen panels was easier than making something else ;)) I would like to have some sort of solid surface on the wooden panels to stop the rabbits getting to the skirting boards and also to limit stray poops and fluff escaping through the mesh and gathering between the pen and the skirting. I’ve considered Perspex - quite expensive for the size I’d need and would need to buy it cut to size as the standard sizes wouldn’t fit - and something like plywood which again doesn’t come in the size I need so would need to be cut to size plus the issue of transporting it in my car as I don’t think the size I need would fit. Also wondered if wooden cladding would be any good as it would be easier to fit in my car than sheet material.

Any recommendations for what would work quite well without breaking the bank? I wondered about correx but don’t know if it would stand up to rabbit teeth. Whatever I choose would need to cover the whole panel (largest panel 2m x 95cm), if I leave an exposed edge that would be like an open invitation for a dose of bunstruction :lol:

Wood cladding should be fine - you can paint or stain it to match the decor. Any chewed slats can be replaced individually if necessary.
You could also look in the sales areas for other options (eg wood laminate floor planks - often there is an odd pack going cheap and they can be used the same way as the T&G cladding).

As a temporary and cheap measure, large cardboard boxes will do the job.

I'd use hardboard, but only because I've got tons lying around! The shiny side is difficult for teeth to get purchase on :)

Wood cladding should be fine - you can paint or stain it to match the decor. Any chewed slats can be replaced individually if necessary.
You could also look in the sales areas for other options (eg wood laminate floor planks - often there is an odd pack going cheap and they can be used the same way as the T&G cladding).

this

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Yip cladding sounds like it will work, I’ve made it an awkward size to suit the packs I’ve seen so I’ll need to have a think about the best way to do it. I don’t think cardboard would last very long with my lot unfortunately.

Keletkezes I did wonder about hardboard, I don’t have any but they sometimes have stuff like that sitting out at my local Ikea which you can take for free (offcuts, spare parts etc). Maybe not in the sizes I need but for free I could work something out!

Keletkezes I did wonder about hardboard, I don’t have any but they sometimes have stuff like that sitting out at my local Ikea which you can take for free (offcuts, spare parts etc). Maybe not in the sizes I need but for free I could work something out!
Worth a try if it's not too inconvenient to grab some :thumb:

Back