• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Injections help

mariposa

Mama Doe
As you know, our little one is on Depocillin injections for an ear infection. I tried to do it today, and while practising with sterile water am worried I went too deep as I pushed the needle in after piercing the skin. Bunny shook a bit but now seems fine. Have I hurt him? xxx

As you know, our little one is on Depocillin injections for an ear infection. I tried to do it today, and while practising with sterile water am worried I went too deep as I pushed the needle in after piercing the skin. Bunny shook a bit but now seems fine. Have I hurt him? xxx

No I am sure you haven't :)

Did the vet show you how to tent the skin and then push the needle into the tent? Then withdraw the needle a little to check you haven't hit a blood vessel or anything?

There's a helpful video here (excuse the music!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDFiXIgIfOE

Especially important is the holding of the injection site and a little massage afterwards. Especially with penicillin, it's important that none goes onto the fur, as it's bad to be ingested orally :)

I am sure you know this already x

Thank you so much as always, MM. Yes, the nurse showed us how to do it but I'll take a look at the video as well xxx

Thank you so much as always, MM. Yes, the nurse showed us how to do it but I'll take a look at the video as well xxx

You're very welcome :)

Do you have a bottle, or are the syringes pre-drawn? Pre-drawn don't make it easier for you, as Penicillin can sometimes clog up.
Warming the penicillin by rolling it between my hands usually makes it go in easier.

If it's from a bottle, I always use a fresh needle to the one I drew the pen out with. It gets blunted going through the bung!

How long do you have to give the injections for?

We have a bottle. He's back at the vets on Friday for a check up but will probably continue with antibiotics for a few weeks xx

You've already had brilliant advice from MM.

You wouldn't have hurt him, so don't worry. It takes some time to get used to doing S/C injections but soon you'll be doing it like a pro!

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

We have a bottle. He's back at the vets on Friday for a check up but will probably continue with antibiotics for a few weeks xx

I'm glad you've got a bottle, so much easier :)

I've lost count of the number of rounds of pen injections I've given. I always take a deep breath before each one though ...!

I've never had to inject a bun,however I was an expert at injecting a human.My late mother was a diabetic and after a stroke she couldn't manage it herself .A few lessons from the nurse and I was okay with it.Firm and bold was the way,not worrying if you hurt them.I did sweat a bit the first few times.Inject into fatty flesh for diabetes.

We've all been there :) Doing them for the first few times is horribly stressful and as MM says even when you are experienced, it still isn't something you do without thinking about it.

I found wetting the fur a little prior to injecting let me see where the needle was going helped. I hated doing them also but got better over time, but agree with MM you still had to concentrate even when experienced .

Back