• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

"Pet Remedy" any experiences with it? (good/bad/otherwise?)

Squishies

Warren Scout
Another random New Year thread from me and the buns... ;-)

My vet sent me away with some pet remedy on Wednesday, following my chat with him about my spraying doe and my agitated (by the minxy doe!) little buck...

I'd be really interested to hear from any of you who have tried it or use it : )

I plugged it in in the room where they sleep/have their pens, and it emits a valerian-like smell. A bit like the herbal tea you drink at bedtime...

It didn't seem to affect/bother the little doe, but my buck started to behave very strangely (for him). It was almost like he had been drugged - he didn't want to leave his pen (basically unheard of for him), and had no interest in playing. He was still eating and pooping, but so out of character and lethargic that I started to get quite worried about him and almost rushed him off to the vet.

Eventually, on a whim last night, I unplugged the diffuser, just as an experiment...
And this morning, guess what?! Mr bouncy mc bouncy face had returned!

...total coincidence, or have others had similar experiences/good/bad/indifferent?

x x

I've only used it with piggies, but I didn't think it did anything. It's quite a strong smell, isn't it?

I use it with my two. Plug in downstairs (used to be in their room for over a year). Now in their room we have an arisole diffuser that sprays every 2 hours.

I know when it runs out as Daphne becomes highly strung and starts humping and full pulling Phoebe a lot. I wouldn't be without it now and I use it a lot when we have vets planned etc - we spray the carrier an hour before travel.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Thanks DP! So interesting, I am tempted to experiment with where I put it... x
...anyone else use or used it?

Rabbit toys

Hello can you buy/give a baby rabbit a soft teddy/toy to play with or would it have to be a special one made/brought from a pet shop as I have a baby rabbit who is a household pet but for while I am out and he is in his cage to stop him maybe gettin lonely or bored while I am out he has a run he goes in everyday for at lest 4 or so hours but he is my only rabbit and I don't want him being lonely please help xx

Thanks DP! So interesting, I am tempted to experiment with where I put it... x
...anyone else use or used it?
Yes we have one. We spray it in the carrier on vet visits. We also plug it in if we know there's something stressful coming up, like visitors staying or fireworks night.

They do seem a bit more subdued, and I'm sure it helps with vet visits.

I find the smell too strong so only use it as and when its needed.

Hope this helps

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Yes we have one. We spray it in the carrier on vet visits. We also plug it in if we know there's something stressful coming up, like visitors staying or fireworks night.

They do seem a bit more subdued, and I'm sure it helps with vet visits.

I find the smell too strong so only use it as and when its needed.

Hope this helps

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

I wonder whether rabbits think it's too strong! :lol:

Rabbits have over fifty million receptor cells in their nose, compared to our meagre six million

https://riseandshinerabbitry.com/2012/04/14/the-rabbits-senses/

Oops, Natalie, I think you may have meant to start a new thread with your post ;-)
But the answer is yes! Lots of rescues in particular pop a soft toy in with solo bunnies, to give them something to snuggle with and practice grooming with.
Chew sticks/willow balls** etc are all also really good, as are all sorts of tunnels and boxes to play on -- two of my buns simply love a toilet roll tube to throw around and chew (bunnies love cardboard!).

Ultimately of course, most of the advice will lead you to considering getting another bunny for companionship for him for when you're not around -- but take your time in getting to know him and give him a few 'boredom breaker' toys and chew things and see how you get on first! you'll be fine, enjoy your time getting to know him; they are so much fun when they are young!

Good luck x

**p.s. I get all my wicker chew balls from wilko (you can get them in pet shops too of course, but just in case - these are the cheapest I've found!)

Thank you very much he does have a wooden hideaway he sits on which I put fresh veg on for him to take off but I do not want to overwhelm him with to much to soon as he is still very young but I will look into a few things to slowly add to his cage/run xx

Back