Thread: Bunny spraying urine - heeeellllp!

Default Bunny spraying urine - heeeellllp!

Happy New Year to all, and of course to your furry friends!

I have a beautiful c.14 week old little doe, who is sweet as can be - curious, friendly, affectionate and a true little snuggle-bunny.
    Happy as can be, always demanding strokes and happy to groom your leg (no idea why leg!) in return.

She was showing promising litter habits - peeing in (or occasionally next to) the litter box..

About 2 weeks ago she suddenly started spraying... everywhere. ...well, 3 main spots to be exact (two corners of the lounge and across her pen), but when she does it, it goes everywhere:
    Up walls, across the carpet, all over her pen, wherever she deigns fit for her scent. If it wasn't such a nightmare to clear up, it would actually be quite a phenomenon in terms of the height and breadth of coverage she achieves! :sigh:

Now I know that spaying can be a problem in un-neutered bucks, but I have not heard of it/not experienced it before in does.
    She is not due her neutering until late January, so I still have a way to go, and I'm not even sure if 'puberty' is the issue?
    [ I found this interesting article about puberty in buns: http://www.rabbit.org/journal/4-10/sexybunnies.html ]

What do you reckon? Just pubescent lady-bun, or possibly more to it?
    And is there anything I can do before I go crazy?!

Thanks as ever and hoping everyone is well x x

Quote Originally Posted by Squishies View Post
    Happy New Year to all, and of course to your furry friends!

I have a beautiful c.14 week old little doe, who is sweet as can be - curious, friendly, affectionate and a true little snuggle-bunny.
    Happy as can be, always demanding strokes and happy to groom your leg (no idea why leg!) in return.

She was showing promising litter habits - peeing in (or occasionally next to) the litter box..

About 2 weeks ago she suddenly started spraying... everywhere. ...well, 3 main spots to be exact (two corners of the lounge and across her pen), but when she does it, it goes everywhere:
    Up walls, across the carpet, all over her pen, wherever she deigns fit for her scent. If it wasn't such a nightmare to clear up, it would actually be quite a phenomenon in terms of the height and breadth of coverage she achieves! :sigh:

Now I know that spaying can be a problem in un-neutered bucks, but I have not heard of it/not experienced it before in does.
    She is not due her neutering until late January, so I still have a way to go, and I'm not even sure if 'puberty' is the issue?
    [ I found this interesting article about puberty in buns: http://www.rabbit.org/journal/4-10/sexybunnies.html ]

What do you reckon? Just pubescent lady-bun, or possibly more to it?
    And is there anything I can do before I go crazy?!

Thanks as ever and hoping everyone is well x x
    First question, are you 100% certain that she is a Doe ? !!

A Rabbit Savvy small animal Veterinary Surgery in Twickenham, SW London
    https://www.twickenhamvets.com/

te he! excellent question! : )

...yes, I sexed her when I got her, because I knew I needed a doe (much bunny chaos - 30 odd bunnies roaming around on top of each other with no one sure what was what... a story for another time, and undoubtedly a case for the RSPCA) and she has subsequently been sexed again independently by two different vets when I took her for her 2 sets of immunisations.

She has a neat little V/line when you press in her intimate area, so yes 99.9999999999999% certain : )

...does anyone have any thoughts/wisdom on this one, pretty please?

She has been less bad the last few days, but also I have covered most of the carpet in the 'affected corners' with newspaper just in case (got tired of following round afterwards with kitchen roll and a vinegar spray!)

x

I reakon (guess) that it is the teenage hormones and that once spayed for a few weeks she will regain her usual good habits.

I *so* hope you're right, Tulsi! Apologies for only just spotting your reply, too x
    I'd get her spayed tomorrow if I could, but she is ever so small, so I am just waiting!
    ...another random fact about her, which makes me think it's hormonal, is that when I pick her up, over the last couple of days, I can suddenly feel her nipples pronounced all along her front. Maybe I've never noticed before, but I have never ever felt nipples on my other doe!

Thanks again for replying,
    x

Good luck with the spaying today. It is always a worry when they have to go in for anything.