Thread: Bunny spraying urine - heeeellllp!

Default Bunny spraying urine - heeeellllp!

Happy New Year to all, and of course to your furry friends!

I have a beautiful c.14 week old little doe, who is sweet as can be - curious, friendly, affectionate and a true little snuggle-bunny.
    Happy as can be, always demanding strokes and happy to groom your leg (no idea why leg!) in return.

She was showing promising litter habits - peeing in (or occasionally next to) the litter box..

About 2 weeks ago she suddenly started spraying... everywhere. ...well, 3 main spots to be exact (two corners of the lounge and across her pen), but when she does it, it goes everywhere:
    Up walls, across the carpet, all over her pen, wherever she deigns fit for her scent. If it wasn't such a nightmare to clear up, it would actually be quite a phenomenon in terms of the height and breadth of coverage she achieves! :sigh:

Now I know that spaying can be a problem in un-neutered bucks, but I have not heard of it/not experienced it before in does.
    She is not due her neutering until late January, so I still have a way to go, and I'm not even sure if 'puberty' is the issue?
    [ I found this interesting article about puberty in buns: http://www.rabbit.org/journal/4-10/sexybunnies.html ]

What do you reckon? Just pubescent lady-bun, or possibly more to it?
    And is there anything I can do before I go crazy?!

Thanks as ever and hoping everyone is well x x

Quote Originally Posted by Squishies View Post
    Happy New Year to all, and of course to your furry friends!

I have a beautiful c.14 week old little doe, who is sweet as can be - curious, friendly, affectionate and a true little snuggle-bunny.
    Happy as can be, always demanding strokes and happy to groom your leg (no idea why leg!) in return.

She was showing promising litter habits - peeing in (or occasionally next to) the litter box..

About 2 weeks ago she suddenly started spraying... everywhere. ...well, 3 main spots to be exact (two corners of the lounge and across her pen), but when she does it, it goes everywhere:
    Up walls, across the carpet, all over her pen, wherever she deigns fit for her scent. If it wasn't such a nightmare to clear up, it would actually be quite a phenomenon in terms of the height and breadth of coverage she achieves! :sigh:

Now I know that spaying can be a problem in un-neutered bucks, but I have not heard of it/not experienced it before in does.
    She is not due her neutering until late January, so I still have a way to go, and I'm not even sure if 'puberty' is the issue?
    [ I found this interesting article about puberty in buns: http://www.rabbit.org/journal/4-10/sexybunnies.html ]

What do you reckon? Just pubescent lady-bun, or possibly more to it?
    And is there anything I can do before I go crazy?!

Thanks as ever and hoping everyone is well x x
    First question, are you 100% certain that she is a Doe ? !!

A Rabbit Savvy small animal Veterinary Surgery in Twickenham, SW London
    https://www.twickenhamvets.com/

A map giving up to date, well researched and reliable details about reported cases of RHD2 within the UK. The map also gives details of locations of Vets reported to have access to the RHD2 Vaccine

http://rhd2map.buntools.org.uk/

te he! excellent question! : )

...yes, I sexed her when I got her, because I knew I needed a doe (much bunny chaos - 30 odd bunnies roaming around on top of each other with no one sure what was what... a story for another time, and undoubtedly a case for the RSPCA) and she has subsequently been sexed again independently by two different vets when I took her for her 2 sets of immunisations.

She has a neat little V/line when you press in her intimate area, so yes 99.9999999999999% certain : )

...does anyone have any thoughts/wisdom on this one, pretty please?

She has been less bad the last few days, but also I have covered most of the carpet in the 'affected corners' with newspaper just in case (got tired of following round afterwards with kitchen roll and a vinegar spray!)

x

I reakon (guess) that it is the teenage hormones and that once spayed for a few weeks she will regain her usual good habits.

I *so* hope you're right, Tulsi! Apologies for only just spotting your reply, too x
    I'd get her spayed tomorrow if I could, but she is ever so small, so I am just waiting!
    ...another random fact about her, which makes me think it's hormonal, is that when I pick her up, over the last couple of days, I can suddenly feel her nipples pronounced all along her front. Maybe I've never noticed before, but I have never ever felt nipples on my other doe!

Thanks again for replying,
    x

Good luck with the spaying today. It is always a worry when they have to go in for anything.