Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feeding

Default Feeding

Hello my new rabbit eats a lot but he is only 9weeks old is this normal for a baby rabbit or should he only be fed at certain times?

Young Bun

Hi,

I got a brother and sister at about the same age and had the same issue. I gave them 120g betweeen them and the seem fine on this. Just recently I have noticed them eating their hay as well (they are now about 14 weeks) and I have cut them down to 90g per day split between 2 meals.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Natalielyall View Post
    Hello my new rabbit eats a lot but he is only 9weeks old is this normal for a baby rabbit or should he only be fed at certain times?

Hi there

Yes it's normal for them to eat a lot!

Some info here:

http://www.therabbithouse.com/diet/diet-baby.asp

Hey again, Natalie : )

Well, all bunnies like to graze and would probably eat and eat if given half the chance! I have noticed that the little ones do seem to eat more continuously than the adults, so I'm guessing your little one is completely normal. He will be putting on weight quite rapidly at this age (equivalent to a child of primary school age really), and this is normal too -- I don't know if you are going to take him to the vets for his basic vaccinations, but if so, they will weigh him and check him over and give you some advice, don't worry!

The general rule, is that so long as rabbit has access to fresh hay and clean water at all times, then they will pick and choose when they nibble.

I'm sure you've got some leaflets or have looked up about bunny diet [if not, the diet pages of the rabbit welfare association are fab; https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-diet/hay-grass/ ], but most of the literature suggests hay and/or grass should form the majority c.80% of their food, and then you can give some leafy greens/herbs and nuggets as treats on top.

I feed my buns their extras twice a day (roughly dawn and dusk), but only because that suits me and they seem hungriest at these times -- I'm sure there are others who feed once a day. As long as you don't go too OTT with the greens and nuggets, and so long as your bunny has plenty of space and playtime (so that he doesn't simply eat out of boredom), he will be good! ; )

Good luck and let us know how you get on!

Mx

doh! MM replied at the same time -- she knows her stuff, so I'd probably listen to her over me(!) ...that's a great link to baby bunny diet info!

Thank you very much everyone I have never had a pet baby rabbit before so I wanted to make sure I was being a good owner and doing the right thing by my rabbit this is all new to me he is an indoor rabbit but have a run for him to come out and play on everyday thank you all for your advice much appreciated xx

Quote Originally Posted by Natalielyall View Post
    Thank you very much everyone I have never had a pet baby rabbit before so I wanted to make sure I was being a good owner and doing the right thing by my rabbit this is all new to me he is an indoor rabbit but have a run for him to come out and play on everyday thank you all for your advice much appreciated xx

You're welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Squishies View Post
    doh! MM replied at the same time -- she knows her stuff, so I'd probably listen to her over me(!) ...that's a great link to baby bunny diet info!

Oh wow

Having been told I'm worthless on here, that's high praise indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by MightyMax View Post
    Oh wow

I always hold you in high regard MM xx

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by MightyMax View Post
    Oh wow

Did they mean 'priceless'?