Thread: New baby rabbit

Default New baby rabbit

Hello my husband brought me a bunny for xmas and I noticed under his feet they were yellow on his fur is this normal for a rabbits feet?

Hi Natalie, and welcome

What colour is your little one? A bunny's underside/underfoot will depend on his markings (some of mine are white, some are cream, and one is chocolatey brown!)

...he may simply be stepping in his urine or perhaps across the dye from whatever his cage/pen is lined with?

Can you let us know a few more details about him and where you are keeping him and I'm sure we can help solve the mystery!

Quote Originally Posted by Natalielyall View Post
    Hello my husband brought me a bunny for xmas and I noticed under his feet they were yellow on his fur is this normal for a rabbits feet?

Hi Natalie and welcome to RU

Bunnies can often have yellow fur under their feet. It's often to do with the substrate you use for the litter tray. Sometimes also, they can get urine on their feet from standing in the litter tray.

If you only just got him, then it's possible this happened where he was being kept before and he hasn't yet cleaned it all off?
    RHD2 info updated: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...-December-2017

“Choose to be optimistic, it feels better!” ... Dalai Lama

Hello he is mainly white with a patch of grey on him but my husband said when he went to pick him for me he already had yellow on the bottom of his feet so maybe the breeder done this he lives in a hutch with kitchen roll lined underneath the bottom and hay on top he is a house rabbit so comes out everyday in a run for a few hours hope this helps xx

So, it sounds like ordinarily his little paws would be white underneath, so I'd think that it's most likely that either...
    a) as MM suggests, maybe whatever the breeder had them on had a yellow colouring to it, and he simply hasn't fully groomed this off yet...
    or
    b) he is padding about in his litter tray/wherever he pees, and getting a bit of wee on his feet

...is he nice and dry on his undercarriage otherwise?
    (I'd only be concerned if he was constantly damp or mucky underneath)

x

Yes he is dry but he was already yellow on the underneath when my husband brought him for me I clean out his whole hutch once a week and done this this morning so he has clean hay/living area

Quote Originally Posted by Natalielyall View Post
    Hello he is mainly white with a patch of grey on him but my husband said when he went to pick him for me he already had yellow on the bottom of his feet so maybe the breeder done this he lives in a hutch with kitchen roll lined underneath the bottom and hay on top he is a house rabbit so comes out everyday in a run for a few hours hope this helps xx

He sounds gorgeous
    RHD2 info updated: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...-December-2017

“Choose to be optimistic, it feels better!” ... Dalai Lama

He is I love him so much