• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My rabbit has stopped eating

louiseruby86

Young Bun
Hi, my rabbit seems to off stopped eating I've offered her her usual nuggets, grated carrot, pulled grass up from the garden, slices of apple and even a piece of ginger biscuit and she's refusing all of them.
I've found some Zantac syrup in my meds cupboard that was prescribed to her this time last year, will this be ok to give to her while I'm trying to find a vets that's open??
Or anything else I can do / give

Hi, my rabbit seems to off stopped eating I've offered her her usual nuggets, grated carrot, pulled grass up from the garden, slices of apple and even a piece of ginger biscuit and she's refusing all of them.
I've found some Zantac syrup in my meds cupboard that was prescribed to her this time last year, will this be ok to give to her while I'm trying to find a vets that's open??

I would not administer the Zantac. For one thing it is totally out of date and also giving a medication with prokinetic properties (gut motility increasing properties) is contraindicated should the Rabbit have a GI tract obstruction.

I would get your Rabbit to a Vet ASAP, especially if she has not passed any poo for several hours. What comes out is as important as what the Rabbit is eating.

In the meantime make sure that she is warm ,hypothermia can set in quickly when a Rabbit is unwell.
Try to encourage her to drink

This link may be useful to read:

http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv

I hope you manage to locate a Vet and that your Rabbit will soon be feeling a lot better.

Hi there :)

I am sorry to hear about your rabbit. That's unfortunate on a Bank Holiday, when usually there's only emergency vets on cover.

If you have (or can get) some Infacol, you can give one ml every hour (with gentle tummy rubs) for three doses. It's absolutely fine to give whatever the situation.

Infacol.co.uk

You could call up a vet and ask whether you should use the Zantac syrup. It may be they see no harm in it, until you can get to see a vet.

Some more info here:

http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv/basic

http://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/pdfs/ROWinter10p7.pdf

http://rabbit.org/gastrointestinal-stasis-the-silent-killer-2/

I have managed to turn around rabbits within half an hour with Infacol. That's not to say you shouldn't visit a vet to get proper gut motility meds and an assessment of why this might have happened.

Good luck xx

Medivet have 24hr hospitals that will be open today, Vets24 also have hospital which will be open today.

If you call your usual vets they often have an answering machine service with out of hours vets details.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

We have spoken to our vets who advised us to syringe some mushed up nuggets in to her and see how she goes for the next couple of hours

Medivet have 24hr hospitals that will be open today, Vets24 also have hospital which will be open today.

If you call your usual vets they often have an answering machine service with out of hours vets details.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Yes, Medivet is open 24 hours (some branches).

They are expensive at emergency rates though ...

Sorry I didn't get chance to get back on here last night.

We spoke to the vet again last night he said to keep syringing the nuggets over night, also we told him we had Zantac and metacam in from last year so he gave us the dosage to give her of both of them.

We took her to the vets this morning, they checked her over and gave her a injection of emeprid, and some more of it to give her at home, they checked her teeth and she has some small spurs so she is booked in on Thursday to have them sorted out

We spoke to the vet again last night he said to keep syringing the nuggets over night, also we told him we had Zantac and metacam in from last year so he gave us the dosage to give her of both of them.

We took her to the vets this morning, they checked her over and gave her a injection of emeprid, and some more of it to give her at home, they checked her teeth and she has some small spurs so she is booked in on Thursday to have them sorted out

Is she eating anything for herself yet and has she passed any poo ? Did the Vet also prescribe ongoing pain relief for her ?

I'm glad you have some Metacam to give her, that always helps where pain from dental spurs is involved.

I hope that she will be back to normal by the time of her dental on Thursday :)

Is she eating anything for herself yet and has she passed any poo ? Did the Vet also prescribe ongoing pain relief for her ?

She has passed some poo since yesterday the odd pieces now and then
Since getting back from the vets she has eaten some apple and a bit of parsley, we also have recovery food to give her.
We are going to ring the vets back again when they open this afternoon to ask about pain relief as we only realised once we got home she didn't have any

Since getting back from the vets she has eaten some apple and a bit of parsley, we also have recovery food to give her.
We are going to ring the vets back again when they open this afternoon to ask about pain relief as we only realised once we got home she didn't have any

A wise decision :)

I hope her poo output will improve and that she will soon be feeling a lot more comfortable xx

I'm glad to her she is passing poop!

Yes, some up to date Metacam would be a good idea. But my vet reckons the old Metacam still works after 18 months.

Just a quick up date, we took amber in today and it turns out she didn't need a dental, her teeth are fine.
She seems to be back to normal now though eating and drinking fine.
Thanks for all the help

Just a quick up date, we took amber in today and it turns out she didn't need a dental, her teeth are fine.
Thanks for all the help

Thanks for the update - really good to hear :thumb:

Thanks for all the help

Hopefully Amber will remain well now and I'm glad that she does not need any Dental treatment x

Back