Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can RVHD11 vaccinated bun catch disease

Yesterday we visited RSPCA Conwy. I didn't realise the adoption protocol involves so much red tape. So, after some form filling to answer questions designed to assess my suitability as a potential rabbit owner I was then told that NO homechecks are done. Instead they ask for photos of your set up. Personally I think this could be open to abuse as the photos may not be genuine. Cats and dogs have home checks, so does this mean they have more value perhaps
    I was also told that I could not adopt a rabbit without first taking H to meet the rabbit, so they can ' see how they get on '. I explained to two staff members that H is old, bereaved and the distance is too far for him to travel. He gets very stressed just taking the 20 minute drive to the vet. Round trip would mean almost 3 1/2 hours travelling.

We did see a lovely lion head cross doe, who was found wandering the streets on Rhyl. She is a little scared still ( understandably so ) but will no doubt bloom in the right kind of home. She resisted the carer picking her up but let me pick her up without any objections. I'm not sure how she would sit with H though. He had a bad experience with a lionhead years ago. She absolutely terrorized him and I had to return her to the rescue. He then met Rubi, who he fell in love with straight away.

There is another bun, who has been placed in a foster home as she was so unhappy living at the shelter. She has bloomed at the foster home. We asked if we could visit her as the foster home is in Caernarfon, just up the road from Anglesey. Also, good to see how she behaves in a home environment. Told no, not possible, rules say the rabbit has to be brought back to the shelter to meet H..

We also met the most wonderful little dwarf lop. Upon spotting us he immediately began trying to elicit attention from us. He is very much like my beloved Theo, who I lost last year. We would have adopted him there and then ( not to live with H, but just because he is so gorgeous and he could have a nice home with us ). Alas, we were told its not possible to adopt him as he is part of a cruelty case which is still ongoing. The rabbit doesn't appear to have suffered much, looks in very good shape, but we were told the case could be against another animal but all animals would have been removed. Upon asking the carer we were told she didn't know when the case was going to court and that any animal that's part of a case cannot be rehomed. Also, if the accused don't show up in court ( which is common apparently ) this further delays the animal/s being rehomed.

So, no progress was made yesterday, we both felt it was a waste of time. And, the rabbits are not vaccinated against RVHD11 either.
    Last edited by hartleyhare; 03-01-2018 at 07:47 AM.

Wise Old Thumper

I'm sorry about your experience at the RSPCA rescue. I'm not sure whether the protocol for adopting rabbits from the RSPCA is the same throughout the UK. I've been looking on the RSPCA search site for a friend or friends for my bereaved buck and I haven't noticed the rule that the existing rabbit needs to be taken to the rescue first. I hope this varies from branch to branch, because I would not take my rabbit on a long journey to the rescue either. I suspected that RSPCA rabbits might not have had the RHD2 vacc.

I can see both sides of all of the checks and rules that are in place for rescues, although if you are wanting to adopt it can become quite frustrating. Regarding home checks v photos, I adopted my previous quad after forwarding photos of accommodation. I would like to think that an in-depth chat with the person wanting to adopt would also be useful for a rescue.

I wish you well in your search for a friend for H.

Quote Originally Posted by Omi View Post
    I'm sorry about your experience at the RSPCA rescue. I'm not sure whether the protocol for adopting rabbits from the RSPCA is the same throughout the UK. I've been looking on the RSPCA search site for a friend or friends for my bereaved buck and I haven't noticed the rule that the existing rabbit needs to be taken to the rescue first. I hope this varies from branch to branch, because I would not take my rabbit on a long journey to the rescue either. I suspected that RSPCA rabbits might not have had the RHD2 vacc.

I can see both sides of all of the checks and rules that are in place for rescues, although if you are wanting to adopt it can become quite frustrating. Regarding home checks v photos, I adopted my previous quad after forwarding photos of accommodation. I would like to think that an in-depth chat with the person wanting to adopt would also be useful for a rescue.

Hartley hare I'm so sorry for your loss

RSPCA branches must differ Omi, because the Manchester and Salford branch where I adopted Frosty from vaccinated all bunnies for RHD2 in addition to the combo vaccine. Home checking differs from branch to branch, years ago when I adopted Dandy and Beano from Macclesfield rspca they got my local branch to homecheck. Manchester and Salford branch asked for photos and room measurements etc, in addition to chatting about care, attitude to animals etc.

Binky free at the bridge Boots, you will never be forgotten xxxx
    IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

Quote Originally Posted by Omi View Post

RSPCA rules and regulations differ from branch to branch. In some, RHD2 isn't given but in others it is before the rabbit leaves.

Hartley - I have a feeling if you wrote to someone 'higher up' in the RSPCA you might get somewhere regardng their rule of bringing the rabbit to the Centre. I personally have never heard of that rule. Was it connected with bonding?

You may have to go to the Head of the Centre before getting a proper overview of what's going on.

Regards the cruelty case - they are always very sad and I have fostered many rabbits from RSPCA cruelty cases. Yes they can take a long time and it's pretty heart-breaking. The rabbit may look fit and well now, but when they came in that may not have been the case. I have plenty of 'before' and 'after' photos where I have been holding the rabbits pending further action.

I hope you can get somewhere here as you've put in a lot of time and effort.

If I can help at all, please PM me. I have worked with, and adopted rabbits from, several RSPCA Centres xx
    Up to date and comprehensive info on RHD2:
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...16-Sept/page14
    An extensive guide to all things RHD2 - Please Vaccinate!

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by MightyMax View Post
    RSPCA rules and regulations differ from branch to branch. In some, RHD2 isn't given but in others it is before the rabbit leaves.

Hartley - I have a feeling if you wrote to someone 'higher up' in the RSPCA you might get somewhere regardng their rule of bringing the rabbit to the Centre. I personally have never heard of that rule. Was it connected with bonding?

You may have to go to the Head of the Centre before getting a proper overview of what's going on.

Regards the cruelty case - they are always very sad and I have fostered many rabbits from RSPCA cruelty cases. Yes they can take a long time and it's pretty heart-breaking. The rabbit may look fit and well now, but when they came in that may not have been the case. I have plenty of 'before' and 'after' photos where I have been holding the rabbits pending further action.

I hope you can get somewhere here as you've put in a lot of time and effort.

If I can help at all, please PM me. I have worked with, and adopted rabbits from, several RSPCA Centres xx
    Well it certainly seems that there are different rules for different RSPCA branches. I have been looking more closely at the text written by the branch for new rabbits appearing on the RSPCA search website. Regarding filovac, all of the ones I looked at this morning had given this vaccination, which is good. Regarding taking your existing rabbit to the branch to meet a new friend, the information given varies. However, this was seen for one branch "We are looking to bond him with a neutered female bun. We will take in your rabbit & carry out the bonding at our rescue. The bonding takes about a week & we usually only carry out one bonding per week as it can be time consuming & we like to be able to spend time with the buns to improve the chances of the bonding working." Now of course this could have been badly worded and perhaps should have added "if you wish" or similar.

The search continues......

We went to visit another rescue today and met a beautiful doe called Holly. She is an agouti English Spot x French Lop. The rescue are keen for us to take her because we have the space for a large rabbit. My concern is the age difference as she is 5 months and H is 8 1/2. I have had younger and older buns together before but not with such a big gap between ages. I know it's all about personality with buns but I do wonder if she might be a little too boisterous. Before H found Rubi he met a baby bun of around 12 weeks who he didn't much care for. That was 7 years ago and hopefully he has mellowed a little. Does anyone on here have buns with large age differences between them?

Quote Originally Posted by hartleyhare View Post
    We went to visit another rescue today and met a beautiful doe called Holly. She is an agouti English Spot x French Lop. The rescue are keen for us to take her because we have the space for a large rabbit. My concern is the age difference as she is 5 months and H is 8 1/2. I have had younger and older buns together before but not with such a big gap between ages. I know it's all about personality with buns but I do wonder if she might be a little too boisterous. Before H found Rubi he met a baby bun of around 12 weeks who he didn't much care for. That was 7 years ago and hopefully he has mellowed a little. Does anyone on here have buns with large age differences between them?

I have had rabbits with 7/8 year differences, and am about to do so again But I agree with you about the boisterousness. A 5 month old may well have lots of energy, and so in this case personality is especially important.

I am sorry I haven't replied to your PM yet, but it was so nice to hear from you and I shall do so v soon
    Up to date and comprehensive info on RHD2:
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...16-Sept/page14
    An extensive guide to all things RHD2 - Please Vaccinate!

Wise Old Thumper

Well done for finding another rabbit, who could be a new friend for H. I wouldn't be too concerned about the age difference and think that character is a more important guide to suitability, but whatever you decide I wish you all the best.

I have just bonded a 7 year old and a 5 month old and it was a really easy bond. The new young buck has way more energy and sometimes, when heís doing laps and binkying around their pen, my older doe does stamp in annoyance. But sheís been bonded with 2 others previously, who sadly died, and I would say that she is happiest in this pairing despite the larger age difference. It is worth noting that young rabbits can sometimes be easier to bond, Iím not saying their relationship will be better long term, just the initial bonding can be easier.

Iíve also had mismatched sizes before and it was fine. Although I will say that if your older bunny has arthritis, itís not pleasant for them to be humped, particularly by a larger bunny. This comes down to personality, some bunnies are very humpy but others arenít. But due to her young age I would double-check whether she has been neutered first as I wouldnít subject him to an unspayed hormonal doe.

The new bun is fully vaccinated and spayed. They do home checks too but after chatting to us and asking lots of questions, plus looking at the pics I had taken that day, they decided they could forgo the home check. I think they insist on it with new or less experienced rabbit owners. I have agreed to take Holly next Sat to try her with H for awhile. It was the rescue's suggestion and there is no fee to pay at this point. I do so hope he likes her and she him.