• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How do I stop bun peeing and pooping in the sleepy area?

Beapig

Mama Doe
I think I may have made a thread along these lines in the past, but it is becoming more and more of a problem so I hope it's okay for me to bring it up again.

We have a really large litter tray for the buns in the downstairs of the hutch, which they use a lot and spend a lot of their time in, eating hay and sleeping too. In the dark upstairs sheltered area with a wooden door, I put straw so that they have somewhere to snuggle at night.

The problem is, Ham won't stop peeing and pooping in it. Even though he uses the litter tray, he also uses this. It means that every day I have to properly clean it out with soapy water, because the pee just sits on the lino and doesn't get soaked up by the straw. In the week this is quite inconvenient/time consuming ever single morning.

Can anyone suggest an alternative to my setup or a way to encourage him to stop doing this? It isn't Bea, just Ham. She seems to avoid that part of the hutch completely now. When she was living on her own she slept it there on a bed of hay and it was always spotless :(

Any advice much appreciated!

I'm afraid once they start using an area as a toilet it's very tricky to stop them. Especially if there is soft things there. To be honest I think I would put another litter tray in that place and you can use hay or straw to make it cosy. It will be easier to clean then.

All four of mine pee wherever there is hay or straw. I always carefully clean any hay off the shed floor (lino) for this reason.

Hope Zoobec's litter tray idea works. It is what I would have suggested too.

Put some sheets of newspaper in the tray as well, with bedding on top. The paper will absorb the wee and any poo that shakes out of the bedding can just be rolled up in one go. If you don't get newspapers, ask around the neighbours, family and friends.

Thank you for the advice guys :love: I think you're right, putting another litter tray in the 'sleeping' area seems like the best way to keep it clean and easier to manage :)

Back