Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 30

Thread: Continental Giant - hind leg amputation?

  1. #1
    Warren Scout
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Essex/Suffolk/Cambridge borders
    Posts
    120

    Default Continental Giant - hind leg amputation?

    Rupert, our Continental Giant, has had sore hocks since we got him from a rescue 18 months ago. One foot has always been worse than the other and for the first year he had daily dressing changes and bandages. More recently his foot improved and while we checked it every day and he has stayed inside on soft vet beds etc things were looking up. However, 8 weeks ago his hock suddenly looked swollen and he limped. The x-ray showed a likely abscess and so it proved with some damage to the bones and ligaments. Following surgery and cultiure and sensitivity tests he has been on aggressive courses of antibiotics as well as pain medication , all under the guidance of Iain Cope. A couple of weeks ago after the abscesses returned for the third time Iain sewed antibiotic balls into the hock area but again the absesses have returned and an x ray yesterday showed further damage to the joint.

    There are now 2 options:
    Amputation of the. affected back leg
    PTS

    We just don't know what to do in Rupert's best interests. Fortunately cost is not an issue for us. If he was a smaller lighter Rabbit amputation would maybe be OK and he would adapt but he is 6kg. - about right for his size. We are concerned about the extra strain on his other back leg and also his spine and do not want sort one problem but create another.

    Has anyone any thoughts or experience of hind leg ampiutation in Giants?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    32,692

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elizabethH View Post
    Rupert, our Continental Giant, has had sore hocks since we got him from a rescue 18 months ago. One foot has always been worse than the other and for the first year he had daily dressing changes and bandages. More recently his foot improved and while we checked it every day and he has stayed inside on soft vet beds etc things were looking up. However, 8 weeks ago his hock suddenly looked swollen and he limped. The x-ray showed a likely abscess and so it proved with some damage to the bones and ligaments. Following surgery and cultiure and sensitivity tests he has been on aggressive courses of antibiotics as well as pain medication , all under the guidance of Iain Cope. A couple of weeks ago after the abscesses returned for the third time Iain sewed antibiotic balls into the hock area but again the absesses have returned and an x ray yesterday showed further damage to the joint.

    There are now 2 options:
    Amputation of the. affected back leg
    PTS

    We just don't know what to do in Rupert's best interests. Fortunately cost is not an issue for us. If he was a smaller lighter Rabbit amputation would maybe be OK and he would adapt but he is 6kg. - about right for his size. We are concerned about the extra strain on his other back leg and also his spine and do not want sort one problem but create another.

    Has anyone any thoughts or experience of hind leg ampiutation in Giants?

    Thanks

    Mega hugs elizabeth. What a situation to be in

    However, I found this for you:

    http://www.rabbit.org/journal/5-5/kenney.html
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...t-January-2018

    “Choose to be optimistic, it feels better!” ... Dalai Lama

  3. #3
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    130,490

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elizabethH View Post
    Rupert, our Continental Giant, has had sore hocks since we got him from a rescue 18 months ago. One foot has always been worse than the other and for the first year he had daily dressing changes and bandages. More recently his foot improved and while we checked it every day and he has stayed inside on soft vet beds etc things were looking up. However, 8 weeks ago his hock suddenly looked swollen and he limped. The x-ray showed a likely abscess and so it proved with some damage to the bones and ligaments. Following surgery and cultiure and sensitivity tests he has been on aggressive courses of antibiotics as well as pain medication , all under the guidance of Iain Cope. A couple of weeks ago after the abscesses returned for the third time Iain sewed antibiotic balls into the hock area but again the absesses have returned and an x ray yesterday showed further damage to the joint.

    There are now 2 options:
    Amputation of the. affected back leg
    PTS

    We just don't know what to do in Rupert's best interests. Fortunately cost is not an issue for us. If he was a smaller lighter Rabbit amputation would maybe be OK and he would adapt but he is 6kg. - about right for his size. We are concerned about the extra strain on his other back leg and also his spine and do not want sort one problem but create another.

    Has anyone any thoughts or experience of hind leg ampiutation in Giants?

    Thanks
    Poor Rupert

    I dont think his size is the only issue regarding hind limb amputation. Other factors to consider are :

    1 The primary cause of his sore hocks- ie has he had full body radiographs to see if he has any spinal/hip problems that could account for sore hocks developing. For me I would have to know that he was not suffering from spinal/hip problems before considering a hind limb amputation

    2- Is the other hock showing even minimal signs of soreness ? If so this would be another factor that might make being a 'Tripod' Rabbit something I would not want for a Rabbit in my care.

    3- What is Rupert's demeanour like ? Is he a bold,outgoing Rabbit ? A laid back 'anything goes' type or is he a 'Rabbit like' Rabbit- not keen on hands on care etc....etc.

    Rupert is obviously under the care of an excellent Vet and I am sure that with his guidance and expertise you will come to the right decision for Rupert.



    ''Never apologise for how you feel, it's called being real'' ~
    Anon

  4. #4
    Warren Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    5,499

    Default

    I’m sorry, I have no advice but I can understand your dilemma. Sending best wishes.

  5. #5
    Warren Scout
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Essex/Suffolk/Cambridge borders
    Posts
    120

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMax View Post
    Mega hugs elizabeth. What a situation to be in

    However, I found this for you:

    http://www.rabbit.org/journal/5-5/kenney.html
    Thanks so much for that MightyMax.

  6. #6
    Warren Scout
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Essex/Suffolk/Cambridge borders
    Posts
    120

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack's-Jane View Post
    Poor Rupert

    I dont think his size is the only issue regarding hind limb amputation. Other factors to consider are :

    1 The primary cause of his sore hocks- ie has he had full body radiographs to see if he has any spinal/hip problems that could account for sore hocks developing. For me I would have to know that he was not suffering from spinal/hip problems before considering a hind limb amputation

    2- Is the other hock showing even minimal signs of soreness ? If so this would be another factor that might make being a 'Tripod' Rabbit something I would not want for a Rabbit in my care.

    3- What is Rupert's demeanour like ? Is he a bold,outgoing Rabbit ? A laid back 'anything goes' type or is he a 'Rabbit like' Rabbit- not keen on hands on care etc....etc.

    Rupert is obviously under the care of an excellent Vet and I am sure that with his guidance and expertise you will come to the right decision for Rupert.
    Thank you Jane

    Rup has not had full body xrays but Iain's opinion has been that he does not have underlying hip or spine problems and he hops straight and true. That said his better leg does not have a lot of muscle as he has never moved around that much though he is very good at sitting still then leaping in the air supposedly from all fours. He has had acupuncture and cold laser therapy on his spine and both legs.

    Our concern is that his good hock does have a bit of a problem though it's OK at the moment but might well regress if it's put under much pressure.

    When we first had Rup he was very timid and hated being handled. However with all his bandaging and daily ministering he has become very laid back and seems to like people company. When I sit on the floor he will come over and drape himself over my legs and go to sleep. Sadly he is not bonded. We have tried with 2 spayed girls but he wants to dominate and we have not been prepared to let him injure himself.

  7. #7
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    32,692

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elizabethH View Post
    Thank you Jane

    Rup has not had full body xrays but Iain's opinion has been that he does not have underlying hip or spine problems and he hops straight and true. That said his better leg does not have a lot of muscle as he has never moved around that much though he is very good at sitting still then leaping in the air supposedly from all fours. He has had acupuncture and cold laser therapy on his spine and both legs.

    Our concern is that his good hock does have a bit of a problem though it's OK at the moment but might well regress if it's put under much pressure.

    When we first had Rup he was very timid and hated being handled. However with all his bandaging and daily ministering he has become very laid back and seems to like people company. When I sit on the floor he will come over and drape himself over my legs and go to sleep. Sadly he is not bonded. We have tried with 2 spayed girls but he wants to dominate and we have not been prepared to let him injure himself.

    It's a dilemma, and I think Iain will have to give some honest advice on this one. Would he get a second opinion as this is such a difficult situation and I doubt many vets will have a lot of experience of it in giant rabbits ...?
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...t-January-2018

    “Choose to be optimistic, it feels better!” ... Dalai Lama

  8. #8
    Warren Scout
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Essex/Suffolk/Cambridge borders
    Posts
    120

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMax View Post
    It's a dilemma, and I think Iain will have to give some honest advice on this one. Would he get a second opinion as this is such a difficult situation and I doubt many vets will have a lot of experience of it in giant rabbits ...?
    We are taking Rupert to see Iain on Thursday - unfortunately he is not at the surgery til then. Iain is very good at going through issues and options and I'm sure he would ask the opinions off other vets if necessary.

  9. #9
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    32,692

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elizabethH View Post
    We are taking Rupert to see Iain on Thursday - unfortunately he is not at the surgery til then. Iain is very good at going through issues and options and I'm sure he would ask the opinions off other vets if necessary.

    You are both in good hands. I shall be thinking of you and Rupert x
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...t-January-2018

    “Choose to be optimistic, it feels better!” ... Dalai Lama

  10. #10
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    130,490

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elizabethH View Post
    We are taking Rupert to see Iain on Thursday - unfortunately he is not at the surgery til then. Iain is very good at going through issues and options and I'm sure he would ask the opinions off other vets if necessary.
    I am so glad that you have an excellent and highly experienced Vet in whom you trust . Despite what may be read online, there are some Vets who will do everything within their power to try to help a Rabbit patient. Mr Cope is certainly one of those Vets. I hope that your consultation with him tomorrow proves to offer some hope for Rupert.



    ''Never apologise for how you feel, it's called being real'' ~
    Anon

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •