• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Should Willow have Panacur?

Glingle

Warren Veteran
Before he passed away Parsley had been fighting a discharge from his eyes for several months. A fortnight ago he had X-rays and blood tests. Everything was normal except for his white blood cell count that was very low. Rather than test for E.cuniculi which would cost £130 we decided to treat him as if he had it as this could account for his low white cell count.
Willow of course has been living with him and has shown no symptoms, and seems happy and healthy. Parsley showed no classic neurological symptoms of EC, it was purely his low white cell count that prompted the treatment. So, should Willow have a preventive course of Panacur or is it unnecessary? If she does need one, how long a course should it be? Just want to get some thoughts before I discuss it with my vet.

Before he passed away Parsley had been fighting a discharge from his eyes for several months. A fortnight ago he had X-rays and blood tests. Everything was normal except for his white blood cell count that was very low. Rather than test for E.cuniculi which would cost £130 we decided to treat him as if he had it as this could account for his low white cell count.
Willow of course has been living with him and has shown no symptoms, and seems happy and healthy. Parsley showed no classic neurological symptoms of EC, it was purely his low white cell count that prompted the treatment. So, should Willow have a preventive course of Panacur or is it unnecessary? If she does need one, how long a course should it be? Just want to get some thoughts before I discuss it with my vet.

I usually treat all new intakes with a one off 28 day course of Panacur. I also always treat any Rabbits in contact with a Rabbit with suspected EC. So if Willow has never been treated then I would do so. You may want to check with your Vet though, I am just giving an unqualified opinion :)

That's kind if what I was thinking. She's going to be spayed soon so I might wait until after that as it's probably best to not over stress her system too much.

Yes I would. Reason being my little Noodleys grief response when she lost her half sis was to get a very pronounced head tilt (no previous EC symptoms or diagnosis) within 24 hours. Given how prolific EC is I would actually treat any bereaved rabbit with panacur, as I've also done with new addition. I know its often said its needed for 28 days but under FHBs most excellent supervision we often did a 10 day course (for preventative stuff - bonding, house moves, things known to stress bunnies)

Another vote to do a treatment.

I'd probably stick to a 10 day course but your vet would be more able to advise what's best. My reasoning being that the 28 day is normally used for an active E.C. flare up.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Don’t know why it should cost £130 for the test. I had Harriet checked along with other blood tests so not sure which were related of necessity to the PALS E antibody, but the total I’m any case was quite a bit less.

So, Willow went to the vets today for her pre-spay checkup. We saw a vet that had treated Bramble in the past, so I'm familiar with her and trust her rabbit knowledge. She declared Willow to be in perfect health and very pretty. We discussed about the E.C risk and Parsley being on Panacur. She advised that we treat Willow with a 28 day course of Panacur as the spay will stress her system and that could cause the E.C to take hold if she is a carrier. We've therefore postponed her spay for a month and will start the Panacur tonight when Hubby is available to assist in rabbit wrangling!
Willow was happily rearranging the towel and hay in her carrier whilst we were sat in the waiting room and after being checked over and put back in the carrier could be heard munching hay whilst the vet and I were talking. She's such a little madam.

So, Willow went to the vets today for her pre-spay checkup. We saw a vet that had treated Bramble in the past, so I'm familiar with her and trust her rabbit knowledge. She declared Willow to be in perfect health and very pretty. We discussed about the E.C risk and Parsley being on Panacur. She advised that we treat Willow with a 28 day course of Panacur as the spay will stress her system and that could cause the E.C to take hold if she is a carrier. We've therefore postponed her spay for a month and will start the Panacur tonight when Hubby is available to assist in rabbit wrangling!
Willow was happily rearranging the towel and hay in her carrier whilst we were sat in the waiting room and after being checked over and put back in the carrier could be heard munching hay whilst the vet and I were talking. She's such a little madam.

I am glad that your Vet agreed with my suggestion. Good luck with the 'wrestling' !! :shock:

Panacur on a malted shreddie always works with mine - unless you like the challenge of wrangling ;)

This is exactly what my vet advised, in similar circumstances :)

Hmm, so Parsley was given Panacur as a liquid which was given via syringe. Willow has got tubes of the Panacur paste. They are designed for one notch to be given to a 2.5kg rabbit. Willow Chops is 1.3kg, so the vet said that I need to give her half the dose. Anyone got any suggestions about the best way to do this? That'll teach me not to look in the paper bag of medicines before now!

Back