• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Older Bunny Sneezing, Suspect teeth?

Karendsa

New Kit
My 9 yr old LionHead has begun sneezing (almost quacking, not sure if it's a sneeze or a cough) He had no discharge, his eyes are clear and Vet did not hear anything lower respiratory. As a precaution he had a round of antibiotics but it has not made any difference. He is acting his social self and eating, drinking and pooping. I limit pellets in order to encourage his Timothy Hay. My vet did not see anything major with his teeth though he said it could be at the root level. At his age I am afraid to do anything too involved. Does anyone have a suggestion as to what to do? Has anyone been through this with their bunny and how did it progress? What can I expect ?

My 9 yr old LionHead has begun sneezing (almost quacking, not sure if it's a sneeze or a cough) He had no discharge, his eyes are clear and Vet did not hear anything lower respiratory. As a precaution he had a round of antibiotics but it has not made any difference. He is acting his social self and eating, drinking and pooping. I limit pellets in order to encourage his Timothy Hay. My vet did not see anything major with his teeth though he said it could be at the root level. At his age I am afraid to do anything too involved. Does anyone have a suggestion as to what to do? Has anyone been through this with their bunny and how did it progress? What can I expect ?

Did the Vet consider the possibility of an issue with your Rabbit's heart ? Clinical signs can include a 'quacking cough' and any other symptoms can be very gradual in onset.

*Warning Graphic images on this link*

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/272151346_Congestive_heart_failure_in_rabbits

If CHF is diagnosed (*if* being the operative word, it may be nothing to do with your Rabbit's heart at all), there are some treatment options which can help alleviate symptoms x

Hi there and sorry not to have seen your post last night.

Yes I have had a rabbit investigated for the symptoms you describe. I would (if possible) get an X-ray of the head and chest. This will also check the lungs, the size of the heart, and also the state of the teeth.

It could be an upper respiratory infection, and mainly concern the nose.

I found this article really helpful:

http://www.veterinarywebinars.com/m...oads/2016/03/Study_Notes_Ear_Nose_Rabbits.pdf

Please post back with your thoughts and wishing you good luck xx

Just to throw my experience in to the mix, my girl Boo made an occassional noise (I know what you mean, I've referred to it on here & to my vet as a quacking sound). This & her being observered pawing her face on a couple of occassions led to her having a GA for xrays & proper teeth assessment. She was found 2 be missing 2 cheek teeth. This was about 7 weeks ago & since having her dental back then (& a subsequent one yesterday) there have been no quacky noises.

I get your reservations about having an older bunny having a GA - it may be prudent to get a blood profile done prior to GA

Lots of luck !

Thank you - I have not been able to find such detailed information on possible issues. This gives me something to refer back to and see if his issues progress. At this time he is a VORACIOUS eater ! And very active and social - and his activity does not seem to make his condition any worse - which I would suspect if it was his heart. But since there have been not actual respiratory issues found thus far - I will refer back to this article. Thank you.

My vet did look at any visible signs of tooth issues. What did your Vet do during her "dental" after discovering her missing 2 cheek teeth that helped relieved her symptons.

Thank you - I have not been able to find such detailed information on possible issues. This gives me something to refer back to and see if his issues progress. At this time he is a VORACIOUS eater ! And very active and social - and his activity does not seem to make his condition any worse - which I would suspect if it was his heart. But since there have been not actual respiratory issues found thus far - I will refer back to this article. Thank you.

Welcome :D

My vet did look at any visible signs of tooth issues. What did your Vet do during her "dental" after discovering her missing 2 cheek teeth that helped relieved her symptons.

very little. Just a tooth burr on the opposing tooth on her jaw. She barely had any symptoms & my vet saw nothing during conscious exam. The quacking did stop but if that was caused by infection it might have been addressed by the preventative antibiotics she was on post dental (just cos the cavities left were still quite deep). She actually had a pretty nasty ulcer so maybe the quacking was food being trapped. She is a mysterious one our Boo. In terms of her appetite & behaviour there were absolutely no signs. Quite incredible that she ate everything & anything continuously even with a massive ulcer & when she lost the teeth (if she did, we don't really know). Sorry if thats clear as mud.

Thanks for elaborating. Maybe my Harley will stop by himself too then. The antibiotics didn't help - though his quacking has lessened he still does it 5-7 ? times a day (that I hear him). In fear of it being his teeth I started him on Alfalfa for a little while b/c he LOVES it - and grazes a lot more on that... Hoping the chewing will out benefit the high protein. He does seem he lost a little bit of weight in the past months - its hard to know - I've never been this aware of whether I feel his ribs or not !- so the extra calories I hope will be okay for him. I will post with any further changes. I'm not very experience with posting - I'm not sure if my post goes just under yours or under the top thread - but hopefully everyone can see this and may gather something from it for themselves. "

Thanks for elaborating. Maybe my Harley will stop by himself too then. The antibiotics didn't help - though his quacking has lessened he still does it 5-7 ? times a day (that I hear him). In fear of it being his teeth I started him on Alfalfa for a little while b/c he LOVES it - and grazes a lot more on that... Hoping the chewing will out benefit the high protein. He does seem he lost a little bit of weight in the past months - its hard to know - I've never been this aware of whether I feel his ribs or not !- so the extra calories I hope will be okay for him. I will post with any further changes. I'm not very experience with posting - I'm not sure if my post goes just under yours or under the top thread - but hopefully everyone can see this and may gather something from it for themselves. "

Your posting is fine and we can see it :wave:

Alfalfa Hay is also high in calcium, which should be restricted where there may be an issue with bladder sludge. It's OK in small amounts, or for small periods though, and as you say, will build him up a bit :)

Certainly good to get them eating hay :thumb:

Back