• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Serial chewers - toy recommendations

Steph2790

Young Bun
So it seems I have a pair of serial chewers.

My buns Lily and huckleberry are a male and female recenlty bonded pair that live outside in a 5ft x 2ft double storey Chartwell hutch with permanently attached 10ft x 4ft run so I don’t think space is the issue.

Before I go on I must stress that I totally understand that this is normal rabbit behaviour and it doesn’t bother me as such, but the main issue being they are chewing serveral parts of their hutch and run and I’m concerned that they will potentially weaken the structure of their enclosure making them more at risk to predators.

They have tunnels, a hideaway house, wooden toys (that have to be replenished weekly) Seagrass mats and plastic chew toys (that get ignored lol) I hide treats and their daily allowance of pellets around their hutch for them to forage for. They get lots of human attention and free roaming time daily.

Just wondered if anyone had any recommendations of hard wearing toys that I could try to hopefully distract them from chewing their home. Also where do people buy their rabbit toys from? Pets at home are local to me and I spend a fortune on the buns so anywhere that’s cheaper would be greatly appreciated :)

I’m also on the hunt for some stacking cups that I think my buns would love to throw around and don’t mind getting a little creative if need be, thanks in advance everyone

Could you pick them some willow branches? You will find them by water or in some parks or hedgerows. They grow quickly - so you won't damage them.
Mine also like to chuck around old plastic plant pots - cheaper than stacking cups if you know any gardeners.

My boys seem to like balls and will chase them around for ages. They have a selection of wicker and wooden balls and a tennis ball for supervised play.

Mine love the willow sticks from pets at home (I open up the bundle & give them 1 or 2 sticks at a time). I have a huge bag of willow someone gave me from their tree but for some reason the bunnies don’t like this as much as the bought sticks. Have to say though it doesn’t stop my lot from nibbling things they shouldn’t!

Could you pick them some willow branches? You will find them by water or in some parks or hedgerows. They grow quickly - so you won't damage them.
Mine also like to chuck around old plastic plant pots - cheaper than stacking cups if you know any gardeners.

Thank you shimmer ide never thought of plastic plant pots, basically the same thing :)

I think there's a weeping willow tree not far from my house. Are they ok to eat the leaves aswell as the branches?

Mine love the willow sticks from pets at home (I open up the bundle & give them 1 or 2 sticks at a time). I have a huge bag of willow someone gave me from their tree but for some reason the bunnies don’t like this as much as the bought sticks. Have to say though it doesn’t stop my lot from nibbling things they shouldn’t!

My boys seem to like balls and will chase them around for ages. They have a selection of wicker and wooden balls and a tennis ball for supervised play.

Will pop to pets at home tomorrow and pick up some of the willow sticks until I can get some fresh cuttings. Thank you for the suggestions :D

Back