Thread: Bunny feeding quantities

Default Bunny feeding quantities

Hello to all.
    I have now acquired my two 8 week old brother-sister bunsI am feeding them junior pellets and, of course, hay.
    I understand that their diet should ideally consist of 80% hay and 20% pellets. I don't think they have read the rule book! They are getting through a lot of pellets, and I am wondering whether, by allowing them to self regulate their intake , they may be eating more than is ideal?
    How much dried food should I be feeding them per day? Do I restrict their intake, or just continue refilling the bowl each time they empty it?!
    Most grateful for any advice.....

Young Bun

Hi,

I got a brother and sister at about the same age and had the same issue. I gave them 120g betweeen them and the seem fine on this. Just recently I have noticed them eating their hay as well (they are now about 14 weeks), as I have started splitting it in to 2lots of 60g one lot in the morning to get them in to their run and one lot in the evening to get them back in to their hutch.

Hope this helps.

Hi there,

How lovely try to post some pictures if you can

This link might be useful http://www.therabbithouse.com/diet/diet-baby.asp there is a section on whether you should feed unlimited pellets x

**created by my DD Lionheadlop**

Thank you so much!
    I notice that alfafa is recommended....is this just hay, or a different animal altogether? Cant seem to find it at PetsCorner....
    Also, is it ok to start introducing fresh food in small quantities (carrots, greens, parsnips)?
    I am so grateful to you all for your valuable experienced advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah Lilly Jane View Post
    Thank you so much!
    I notice that alfafa is recommended....is this just hay, or a different animal altogether? Cant seem to find it at PetsCorner....
    Also, is it ok to start introducing fresh food in small quantities (carrots, greens, parsnips)?
    I am so grateful to you all for your valuable experienced advice.
    Alfalfa is a hay that's high in calcium, you can buy it on amazon I've not seen it in my p@h or pets corner - they don't necessarily need it though.. I free fed pellets when mine were little now at about 6 months started limiting the amount slowly and they have 1 egg cup a day now which about 25g.

I started veggies slowly at about 16 weeks, one type at a time in a small quantity x

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk