• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Senior rabbit food

Fellie

Warren Veteran
It has suddenly occurred to me that contrary to their behaviour a couple of my buns are now classed as 'senior' - ie. over 5 years old.

I am about to order some more food for them all - is there really much point in ordering SS for Senior Buns? I always gave Junior pellets to my babies but haven't given a lot of thought to the pellets for Senior Buns?

Thanks

x

I've never bothered with mine. When you compare the difference, the SS senior is only minimally different to the ordinary, the difference being that the senior has a bit less fibre and a bit less protein.

I reasoned that they don't get that many pellets anyway and also the senior is more expensive, so I didn't change.

I've never bothered with mine. When you compare the difference, the SS senior is only minimally different to the ordinary, the difference being that the senior has a bit less fibre and a bit less protein.

I reasoned that they don't get that many pellets anyway and also the senior is more expensive, so I didn't change.

Great - didn't think there was enough difference to worry about it. Thank you!

It has suddenly occurred to me that contrary to their behaviour a couple of my buns are now classed as 'senior' - ie. over 5 years old.

I am about to order some more food for them all - is there really much point in ordering SS for Senior Buns? I always gave Junior pellets to my babies but haven't given a lot of thought to the pellets for Senior Buns?

Thanks

x

When my buns get to be senior ..... (much older than five, though!) I give them junior pellets to keep the weight on, if necessary.

I guess that must mean they are going into a second childhood as they get older! :lol:

Another vote for don't bother :thumb:
I wouldn't really class them as senior considering they often live past 10 years of age (much like dogs) and they aren't classed as senior until they reach 8 years of age.

As MM has said, if they struggle to keep weight I'd consider changing them to the junior pellets.
The reason the protein is reduced is because they assume an older rabbit would be less active - however often the inactivity is caused by arthritis which can be controlled with antiinflammatory drugs so reducing the protein is pointless. ... sorry, started rambling there.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Back