• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit vaccinations UK - where's the best deal

Call around all your local vets. Prices vary massively throughout the UK.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Some also offer the vaccs for life for £99 - but that is myxo / RHD1 only. You will also need RHD1&2.

Ringing round is the only way to find out.

Does anyone know anywhere that has deals on at the moment for rabbit vaccinations as I need to get my 3 done

Thanks

Hi bunny mummy :wave:

Here's some info about vets who have the vaccine in stock - you must ring to double check they still have it, and also the price.

http://rhd2map.ajltech.co.uk

If you post a more precise location (if you wish) people may be able to recommend 'good value' vets.

Are you looking for the combi vaccine (Novibac/Myxo) or Filavac (RHD1/RHD2) or both?

I phoned around a few local-ish vets for rhd2, my usual vet charges £39 and I ended up going to one on the rwaf list which was I think £23 per bun so it makes a fair difference when you have 3 to be done.

Was that £39 for the one vaccine? I'm in south Manchester

Yes £39 per bunny - that was rhd2, the myxo/rhd vac is £49 with my regular vet but I paid £99 for their vac4life plan when I got the rabbits & myxo/rhd is included in the plan.

I’m not near Manchester so can’t help with the best price locally.

Yes £39 per bunny - that was rhd2, the myxo/rhd vac is £49 with my regular vet but I paid £99 for their vac4life plan when I got the rabbits & myxo/rhd is included in the plan.

I’m not near Manchester so can’t help with the best price locally.

Well this is going to end up expensive as they all need doing against everything!

:shock:

I hope that's spread out over a year?

Oh yeah :p Though unfortunately a few have been grouped together around nov/dec/jan time so must be sure to save ahead for next year (kinda hoping it might be a bit cheaper wherever we move!). Got three in Jan then nothing until June :p

If only it weren't for the RHD2. It's almost doubled their yearly cost (£340). Like you say, would be wonderful to have a single vaccine that covers all three!

The small chain I use charge £25 for each vaccine which is quite cheap compared to most vets, but they don't have any branches near Manchester. When I got my rabbits I used google maps to make a list of all the vets nearby and I rang them all for quotes. I planned on going to the cheapest vets for their vaccinations, then moving to a more rabbit-savvy one, but luckily the cheapest vets were nearby, rabbit savvy and have walk-in appointments every day of the week.

The small chain I use charge £25 for each vaccine which is quite cheap compared to most vets, but they don't have any branches near Manchester. When I got my rabbits I used google maps to make a list of all the vets nearby and I rang them all for quotes. I planned on going to the cheapest vets for their vaccinations, then moving to a more rabbit-savvy one, but luckily the cheapest vets were nearby, rabbit savvy and have walk-in appointments every day of the week.

This is exactly what I've been doing. The cheapest I've found so far is £30 for the combined vaccine and in another vet the new vaccine was £30 but give 15% off of I get all 3 done at the same time. Still a lot of money just less than £170. It's insane really as they are house rabbits who don't really go outside (garden needs rabbit proofing)

This is exactly what I've been doing. The cheapest I've found so far is £30 for the combined vaccine and in another vet the new vaccine was £30 but give 15% off of I get all 3 done at the same time. Still a lot of money just less than £170. It's insane really as they are house rabbits who don't really go outside (garden needs rabbit proofing)

They are still at risk of both Myxomatosis and RHD 1 +2.

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/vaccinations/

IMO the cost of vaccinating is a price well worth paying to protect my Rabbits from such horrific diseases. Personally I could never forgive myself if a Rabbit in my care died because I chose not to bother with vaccinating them. All of my Rabbits are House Rabbits too.

My vet would agree with you, that house rabbits may well be at less risk than outdoor rabbits.

However, I think it's still essential to get the vaccinations, as you do too :)
Better to be safe than sorry x

House rabbits aren't protected unfortunately. Everytime you open the door/window there's a risk of myxo carrying insects coming in your house, if you have other pets that are allowed outside they could bring in myxo carrying fleas. Some argue that house rabbits might be more likely to contract RHD as they're more likely to come in contact with your shoes and clothes. It might be worth signing up for a lifetime vaccination scheme, although it'll be a higher cost initially you'll save a lot of money over the years

Thanks for this I didn't realise mine were still able to catch things! Will definitely be having them all vaccinated now

Back