• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Does anyone have an indoor/outdoor setup?

Beapig

Mama Doe
I know that I'm probably dreaming above my financial capabilities, but I'd really love a setup for my buns which would mean I could spend more time with them. Especially at this time of year, it gets dark so early and is frequently wet/cold. It makes it v.difficult for me to stay out with them for a long time.

What I'm dreaming of is a downstairs space with an outdoor attachment which means that they could come in and out as they pleased. Our house is a 3 bed semi and it has a sort of outbuilding/utility room on the side which is just single brick and a bit gross. It just has our tumble drier, garden tools and rabbit feed/bedding in at the moment. My guess is it's about 1.5 x 2 metres. In the summer we're planning to build a shed for all of the garden tools. We do need the space for the tumble drier though. We're considering extending this little outbuilding in the future, as we've seen others on our street do it and it would add value to our house. We're the only house on the street with a huge corner plot garden, it's so big we could probably build a whole new house on the land!

I think I'm just day dreaming away unrealistically, but I'd love to be able to sit with them more in the evening. Does anyone have a setup where you have a downstairs room in your house which also has access to the outside?

This evening Ham spent a good five minutes 'grooming' my nose, his teeth are actually very sharp so it was a bit painful and left me with a red noggin, more so though my heart is full to bursting :love: I never thought I'd have bunnies but oh my goodness I just love them more and more every single day!

There was someone on here once who had a big outdoor set up with a tunnel into a cupboard inside. I’ll try to find it when I get chance. Can’t remember their name atm though:lol:

Me and OH have plans to give the girls free access outside when they please but are waiting until we move.

We shall very simply be knocking a hole into a wall for a cat flap that will provide access to a large walk in run. When we're home we'll be able to allow access to the whole garden without having to leave the back door open.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

It's a bit like falling in love really, you get some bunnies and bam, you want to be with them all the time! Lovely idea Beapig, let us know if you do it!

I am really wanting to move my four indoors. I have a large room (guinea pig and hamster room) but would have to take them outside in carriers for free range time as the room is at the back of the house.

It sounds like a great plan to me. Hope you can find a way to make it work.

Thank you for sharing this with me Zoobec! It's such a cool idea and has inspired me. And thank you everyone else for your useful suggestions :) I've been talking to my OH about it and we've agreed to save up to extend our 3.50 x 1.86 utility room. The flat roof is cracked and leaking, so we were planning on demolishing it and getting a sloped roof anyway. It has two doors (one at the front of the house and one in the back garden) which isn't great for security, so we want to add a window where the front door is. There's also an internal storage/cupboard section which just makes the room smaller and less useful, so we want that knocked down too.

In conclusion, it might be better to just start from scratch and even make the room bigger, given that our garden is so big you could build another house in it. I really love saving up for home improvements, and if it means I get to spend more time with the buns I'll be thrilled. I don't think it would be a bad investment, because surely it will only add value to our house.

The plan would be to have this as the indoor space for the buns, and have a cat flap in the door leading to a walk in run attached to the back of the house. We just spent a lot of time making their current outdoor setup, but it's no loss at all because we've always planned on taking in rescue ducks or chickens in the future.

I've been away from my babies for two days now and I miss them so much already, I'm simply besotted with them :love:

i have mine in a garage and a friend has a clutched drill to cut through the wall - there are plans to put another hole in the wall and allow a circle circuit but they currently are very happy with their outside access

24209097_10155608049301928_1440384944_o.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Wowww, this is just what I was imagining with my outbuilding, thank you for sharing! :) I'm assuming that you have wire underneath the run around runs too so that they can't dig out? Do you give them 24hr access to the outside or shut them away at night? I'd be interested to see how the set up looks inside the garage too!

this is what they have inside. its a 6' x 2' hutch from a link i found on here that had the arched roof taken off, painted and lined with lino. the outside comes in the back then they have their two litter trays and food and a runaround top box on top with two tubes curving around. the new garage hole will go out to the right of the image and that joins the bit behind the garage with the run. yes the run. all run bits have weld mesh from amazon cut to size underneath (much cheaper than buying from runaround) you can cut with bolt cutters and then cable tied on. the soil is topsoil.

the black rex is now 11.5 so have double insulated the top box with a roll of loft insulation. i have moved house and previously they had a welfare hutches double 7 ' x 3' and a 8' x 4' binky box as well as the top box but it won't fit in my new garden.

Back