• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do You Compost Your Rabbit Waste?

Does anyone here compost their rabbit waste, and is the above all okay to go in the compost bin?

Yes and yes. Absolutely no reason why it could not go in the compost bin, all the material is of vegetable origin and will break down into topsoil eventually. After all it's mostly fermented grass.

Yes and yes. Absolutely no reason why it could not go in the compost bin, all the material is of vegetable origin and will break down into topsoil eventually. After all it's mostly fermented grass.

Going by what everyone has said, it seems like a great idea to get a compost bin :) I just checked and my council definitely won't accept hay/staw/bun poop in the garden waste bin.

My only concern is that with the amount that my buns dirty, it would build up more quickly than it decomposed. But maybe I'll be surprised :)

All mine goes in council compost bin. Don't think it's meant to but I've never had information to say otherwise. If council compost bin full then it goes into my own compost bin.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Hi. Our council will not take animal waste in green bin. Their loss! I compost most of ours although too much spent hay at this time of year isn't great as it is slow to rot down.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Our bins are brown up here for garden waste.Glasgow city council introduced small grey caddies a few years back for food waste,veg,bones,meat,eggshells,tea bags etc.That goes into the compost bin now.Usually there's no meat/bones etc as I put this out for the foxes. I don't have buns anymore.

Last edited:
Usually there's no meat/bones etc as I put this out for the foxes.

Cooked bones are dangerous and should never be given to animals. They are hardened and splinter, and the shards can puncture soft tissue (eg guts) like needles. Raw bones
should be fine. Meat (raw or cooked) without cooked bones should be OK if it hasn't gone off.

I think some clarification might be needed as there seems to be a bit of confusion between a "compost bin" as opposed to a "green garden waste bag" and even the brown (well, brown here in Bedfordshire) kitchen waste bin. For rabbit poo/bedding only the compost bin is really suitable - this is the cone shaped bin that stays in the garden and does not get emptied by the council. I think you might get away with putting straw in the green garden waste bag as it's in the "grass cuttings" category but not rabbit poo or you will evoke the Wrath of the Recycling Powers; you might be ostracized, excommunicated and exiled for non-compliance. And surely nobody would want to put rabbit bedding in the kitchen waste bin... I mean, it's not really food waste.

Also, personally I would not put any kitchen waste (like vegetable peelings) in the compost bin either; I did once and we ended up with a rat family moving in the bin - I lifted up the lid one day and there was mother rat nursing the youngsters. Unless your love for animals extends to having rats in your garden, I wouldn't do it. Since then, I have only put grass cuttings, soiled straw bedding and rabbit poo in the green compost bin and haven't had any problems. None of these are of any interest to rats.

Last edited:
I have to compost some of it.
Hay and wood flakes take ages to rot. I mix in all bits of plants and vegetables I throw away, but it still takes years.
My old compost heap is full so I've started burning some of it.
I will build another compost heap but when that's full I'll have to burn it again.
It does burn very well.

I have to compost some of it.
Hay and wood flakes take ages to rot. I mix in all bits of plants and vegetables I throw away, but it still takes years.
My old compost heap is full so I've started burning some of it.
I will build another compost heap but when that's full I'll have to burn it again.
It does burn very well.
I just burnt some for the first time today, went really well - not sure why but I wasn't expecting it to be a good way to get rid of stuff [emoji38]

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Back