• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Loxicom dosages

Glingle

Warren Veteran
Parsley has been prescribed 0.5ml of dog loxicom twice a day. Is the dog version 1.5ml strength? The vet has put it in a brown bottle so it's easier to dispense with a 1ml syringe, so I haven't got the box.
He was previously on the cat version of loxicom which I think is 0.5ml strength at a lower dose, but as he's on it for 28 days and I'd run out of my existing loxicom in that time she's given the dog version as it is a cheaper option.
Does that mean that if I give him 1.5ml of the cat loxicom that will be the same dose as 0.5ml of the dog loxicom? Maths isn't my strong point these days and I don't want to give him the wrong dose.

Parsley has been prescribed 0.5ml of dog loxicom twice a day. Is the dog version 1.5ml strength? The vet has put it in a brown bottle so it's easier to dispense with a 1ml syringe, so I haven't got the box.
He was previously on the cat version of loxicom which I think is 0.5ml strength at a lower dose, but as he's on it for 28 days and I'd run out of my existing loxicom in that time she's given the dog version as it is a cheaper option.
Does that mean that if I give him 1.5ml of the cat loxicom that will be the same dose as 0.5ml of the dog loxicom? Maths isn't my strong point these days and I don't want to give him the wrong dose.

Dog Loxicom is 1.5mg/ml, Cat Loxicom is 0.5mg/ml

So with the DOG Loxicom a 0.5ml dose would be a dose of 0.75mg

With the CAT Loxicom a 0.5ml dose would be a dose of 0.25mg

References to various dose rates of Meloxicam (the active ingredient in Loxicom) here

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00Chem/ChComplex/Meloxicam.htm

Thanks Jane, that really helps. His X-Rays were all fine as were his bloods apart from his white blood cell count that was just one cell. We're treating for possible EC to see if that it is what's affecting his immune system, although he doesn't seem to have any neurological symptoms and will then do a blood smear to properly check his white blood cells. Poor thing he's not impressed with all this handling!

Back