Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bonding a quad-in abit of a rut!

Good luck

Binky free at the bridge Boots, you will never be forgotten xxxx
    IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

I find it really difficult to advise without being there, or communicating on the phone .. Sometimes I've found reducing the space contributes to aggression and frustration. There again they don't get close if you don't put them in a confined space.

I have (for my own rabbits) never used a very small space and always had several littler trays, but sometimes got the litter trays down to one big one.

Scatter feeding is a good idea. I always use an endless supply of herbs, forage, grass, readigrass and hays etc. I reckoned it was worth them putting on a bit of weight to become friends. Also, a hungry rabbit can get frustrated and aggressive ...

Good luck xx
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...t-January-2018

“Choose to be optimistic, it feels better!” ... Dalai Lama

Mama Doe

Thanks MightyMax.Yes its a tricky one because Im worried it may make James frustrated and even more annoyed with Cosmos if I reduce the size but at the moment there is less and less interaction between Cosmos and the rest of the group.
    I have been scatter feeding.Cosmos tends to eat what he can reach from his little corner so if I do reduce the pen I wont include his area which will smell very strongly of him as he doesn't venture out of it much now.

Quote Originally Posted by hoppetylop View Post
    Thanks MightyMax.Yes its a tricky one because Im worried it may make James frustrated and even more annoyed with Cosmos if I reduce the size but at the moment there is less and less interaction between Cosmos and the rest of the group.
    I have been scatter feeding.Cosmos tends to eat what he can reach from his little corner so if I do reduce the pen I wont include his area which will smell very strongly of him as he doesn't venture out of it much now.

What did you decide to do? xx
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...t-January-2018

“Choose to be optimistic, it feels better!” ... Dalai Lama

My four were bonded in a large area with a litter tray per rabbit and one extra. Any chasing and fur pulling was allowed but watched carefully. Like Zoobec I put a lot of forage in a pile in the middle to help calm things and even though they are not cuddly (or even strokable) a hand on each of the fighting rabbits would calm things.

Mine are two already bonded sisters and two brothers who fell out. I kept the bucks apart for weeks prior to bonding the quad.

One of the bucks (Frosty) is the leader of the pack and always chases Snowflake (his brother) away from food at meal times then a few seconds later they are eating right next to each other!

Daisy (the largest of all the rabbits) tended to get left out but it gradually sorted itself out.

Hope your four are doing well now.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...=bonding+begun
    [IMG][/IMG]

Mama Doe

Thankyou so much tulsi,that's very reassuring.x I will have a good read through the linked thread.

Hi MM.I have reduced the pen alittle which I think has lessened the chasing.Cosmos now has a "new corner"so that problem continues.Also whereas Ivy approached Cosmos from time to time for a cuddle,she is only snuggling with James and her sister Lily now.Cosmos stays in his corner as he is growled at and chased by James if he comes out.I ensure he has a water bottle near him.He doesnt seem to try to get involved with the others now.This is their 5th week together so Im wondering if they can sort things out.I must admit Ive worried a lot about Cosmos the last few days.

Mama Doe

I think Im going to have to remove one of the boysI have been watching the group all today and discovered that Cosmos has very little freedom to move around the pen without being chased back into his "corner".He doesn't have access to the food without my help and I just cant see this improving I t don't know which boy as they both like the girls.Whoever is removed will be rebounded with a girl so neither would be left by themselves.This is a really difficult decision as Cosmos was very close to the girls first but James wont let him near them now.James would cope better with the change but hes bonded with the girls quite closely.Aaagh!!!

Quote Originally Posted by hoppetylop View Post
    I think Im going to have to remove one of the boysI have been watching the group all today and discovered that Cosmos has very little freedom to move around the pen without being chased back into his "corner".He doesn't have access to the food without my help and I just cant see this improving I t don't know which boy as they both like the girls.Whoever is removed will be rebounded with a girl so neither would be left by themselves.This is a really difficult decision as Cosmos was very close to the girls first but James wont let him near them now.James would cope better with the change but hes bonded with the girls quite closely.Aaagh!!!
    I wish I could add some useful advice but I have nothing. I just wanted to empathise about how this difficult this must be. Maybe if Cosmos is the one who has been struggling with the bond it might be better to leave him with the girls in case the experience leaves him wary of future bonds? I think you'll have to weigh up the pros & cons of removing Cosmos vs James & take it from there? x

Mama Doe

Yes this is what I was thinking.I want Cosmos to have a good bond with the girls as his first ever bond experience although when I see James snuggling with the girls I feel bad that I might be separating them.Cosmos IS socially abit awkward but I think the girls would be patient with him,especially Ivy.I would get James re bonded very soon but the guilt I feel about MAYBE removing him is upsetting me.There is no easy answer.
    Thankyou for you reply though.x