Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bonding a quad-in abit of a rut!

Mama Doe

Default Bonding a quad-in abit of a rut!

Hi all

Im in a quandary with my newly bonded quad,can anyone advise?

About a month ago my bunnies were introduced to (hopefully)become a quad.It comprised 2 bonded sisters(Lily and Ivy) and 2 single males (James and Cosmos).I haven't had the boys long and thought it would be wonderful if they could form one group so they could have a very big space to live in.I realise it was a risk but it has worked out except for one thing.

The "pecking order" is-Lily,James,Ivy,Cosmos.James follows Lily everywhere and obviously adores her and also likes Ivy but he really doesn't like Cosmos.Everytime Cosmos (who couldn't be more submissive)comes anywhere near James or the girls James growls and chases/fur pulls Cosmos.He is making Cosmos quite jumpy and he tends to sit in the corner.Very fortunately Ivy sits with Cosmos when the chasing has been particularly bad and calms Cosmos down(little angel)

Is there anything I can do to help the situation?Cosmos is desperate to sit with the others but cant get near them when James is with them.He tries and tries to show James how submissive he is but James is possessive of the girls and gives Cosmos warning stares if he approaches them when they are resting together.I realise its very early days but Im concerned about Cosmos as he befriended the girls first and wants their company as well.Do I do anything or let them sort it out?I feel I should be proactive but don't want to make things worse by interfering.

I would be very grateful for any advice.

Thanks.x

When I did my quad bond (it was 2 pairs - a pair of brothers, and a pair of sisters) at one stage I had what appeared to be a trio and a single but thankfully they quickly bonded into a tight knit quad.

Are they still in bonding territory? If so I would not extend space for a bit in order to try to cement the bond. Moving mine from inside to their new shed caused a bit of chasing etc but they soon settled.

It's good to see you again

Binky free at the bridge Boots, you will never be forgotten xxxx
    IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

Mama Doe

Hi Zoobec

Yes they are still in their bonding pen which is 7x3 foot.Good to know your bunnies sorted themselves out.Did you do anything to encourage that?

Thanks for your post.x

Quote Originally Posted by hoppetylop View Post
    Hi Zoobec

Yes they are still in their bonding pen which is 7x3 foot.Good to know your bunnies sorted themselves out.Did you do anything to encourage that?

Thanks for your post.x

Nickybunny has bonded a quad

Quote Originally Posted by hoppetylop View Post
    Hi Zoobec

Thanks for your post.x
    I left them in the bonding pen without moving them until they settled. I fed lots of hay and forage in a pile in the middle, I heavily pruned my rosemary bush and fed them branches of that, and since then I read that it has calming properties. Thankfully the boys were soon grooming the girls. The girls never groomed each other or returned the favour to the boys so they were a bit taken aback to have their eyes washed

Tulsi also bonded a quad at a similar time.

Here is my original thread http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...obec+quad+bond
    Last edited by Zoobec; 20-12-2017 at 02:21 PM.

IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

Mama Doe

Thankyou very much Zoobec and MightyMax.Im wondering if I should reduce the size of the pen to encourage more interaction and hopefully discourage chasing.I could make it 4x3 for afew days.Can you remember the size of your quad bonding pen Zoobec?
    Last edited by hoppetylop; 20-12-2017 at 05:45 PM.

Initially it was an xl dog crate which was just over 4ftx3ft if I can recall. Then I extended it with a run after a couple of days if I remember rightly. It might be worth a try

Mama Doe

Ok Im going to reduce their pen size for a little while.I will remove the vet bed mat that Cosmos tends to sit on when the others are snuggled elsewhere in case it causes problems at all.They have 2 hay tunnels.Should I leave one/both out?Sorry for all the questions!

I had nothing in their pen, not even litter trays. I just made the bottom one big litter tray with newspaper and then a big pile of hay in the middle. I would remove anything that seems to be causing any territorial issues like the vet bed mat as you say, and probably the tunnels too. Id keep encouraging them to eat together by scatter feeding pellets in the middle, and plenty of forage regularly.

Mama Doe

Thankyou Zoobec.x