Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Abscess on jaw - X-ray next, then what?

Yes still on the metacam, and she’s on betamox antibiotics injections.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by beckie20 View Post
    Yes still on the metacam, and she’s on betamox antibiotics injections.

Was that choice made on the basis of a culture and sensitivity test?

Wise Old Thumper

Hi beckie20.
    A small thought about jaw abscess to help the Abx work more effectively.
    Pain relief is very important. There's a very old thread which may help you with this. I'm not sure but I think the user was Beckymarie. The rabbits were definately Casper & Poppy.
    Operation was not an option for either.
    Casper got it 1st. We used low chew foods - dried forage to take pressure off the jaw.
    Both rabbits survived for months although no ABx were used, - much much longer than expected
    Please please continue with Abx in this case, but maybe think of helping them work better.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyMax View Post
    Was that choice made on the basis of a culture and sensitivity test?
    Oh I don’t know, not a question I thought to ask!

She’s been on the betamox injections every other day, and metacam every day - had a check up with Ivan tonight and he has said we’ve done an amazing job as he can’t feel/see any pus, and that it usually takes about a month for an abscess of that size to get to the point which sugar is at already

Continuing with antibiotics for at least another week, and pain relief for the next few months to try to encourage use of and therefore wear on the teeth with the tooth root causing the problem.

Due to her age (9 in April Ish) he has advised to monitor - if the abscesses return in a short space of time, we look to remove the root.

I will look into that, thank you Thumps

Banned

She’s been on the betamox injections every other day, and metacam every day - had a check up with Ivan tonight and he has said we’ve done an amazing job as he can’t feel/see any pus, and that it usually takes about a month for an abscess of that size to get to the point which sugar is at already

Continuing with antibiotics for at least another week, and pain relief for the next few months to try to encourage use of and therefore wear on the teeth with the tooth root causing the problem.

Due to her age (9 in April Ish) he has advised to monitor - if the abscesses return in a short space of time, we look to remove the root.

You've done amazingly sterling work beckie

Such a good update. Fingers crossed it goes away for good!

Wise Old Thumper

I'm with everyone else that you have done amazingly well.
    If your dentist wants to increase wear on the tooth, hold back on the dried forage for now. Improving the efficacy of ABx is all about pain relief & stress relief to improve the immune response. I think you've found ways to do this yourself.

She’s tough as old boots, my little bunny

If it had been one of my other rabbits they wouldn’t have coped as well with all the intense hands on treatment, but Sugar takes it all in her stride as long as she gets some herbs afterwards!

Banned

She’s tough as old boots, my little bunny

If it had been one of my other rabbits they wouldn’t have coped as well with all the intense hands on treatment, but Sugar takes it all in her stride as long as she gets some herbs afterwards!

she sounds lovely