• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding Dillon and Cuthbert

The boys are now three weeks post op and have been in the same run now since they came here, they are 16 weeks old now and can sniff and groom each other albeit through the chicken wire that separates them.

We started off in the bathroom (a neutral space) but I was really scared as Dillon could not walk properly on the flooring and they kept going behind the toilet and since where I could not reach them quickly enough - no they did not fight

Today is day three so I put a different rug down in the lounge and let them have a wider area. If they got too humpy or too nipping I told them off verbally and put my hand on them stroking them.

Dillon (who I thought would never trust me again) kept coming for a snuggle and then resumed the prancing round with Cuthbert and after an hour and a half and just two lots of nipping that took fur out they have both been put back in their sides of the run for their dinner.

The photos are well blurry sorry but I would welcome any thoughts (not on my photography on the bonding - lol)
20171219_185456[1] by Ra Greenwood, on Flickr

20171219_185241[1] by Ra Greenwood, on Flickr

20171219_190114[1] by Ra Greenwood, on Flickr

Needing a nose rub
20171219_190317[1] by Ra Greenwood, on Flickr

Tired but not relaxed - there choice to be on the furniture
20171219_191510[1] by Ra Greenwood, on Flickr

So far this morning we have only had one humping episode and that was Dillon on Cuthbert, Cuthbert stayed still thoughout then Dillon put his head down under Cuthy - from what I have read on the "sticky" bonding thread I am going to take that as a good sign,

One of them has to be the dominant rabbit - hope it works out. I think they have only been neutered 3 weeks? According to what others say, this is not a long enough time for 2 boys.

Sorry to be so needy, but is weeing part of the process? Cuthbert is spraying (something he hasnt done for a fortnight)

Sorry this is possibly not what you want to hear, but the weeing could be an indication that you haven't left it long enough post neuter and his hormones haven't yet settled.

Sorry this is possibly not what you want to hear, but the weeing could be an indication that you haven't left it long enough post neuter and his hormones haven't yet settled.

That makes sense, we shall - ha ha the following was typed by Dillon leaping on the laptop
p[]8uioo67y5t1`aq

We shall just do dating then until we are sure his hormones have settled - thank you Omi for the help :)

We have had nose licking - just two tiny licks but I am ridiculously happy about it and will continue the play date. The other thing is that they have led next to one another, eaten and shared treats together.

My most handy piece of "equipment" has been balls of screwed up newspaper - when the boys looked like they were going to get humpy I have just thrown the newspaper in their direction, and it seems to have acted as a distraction.
My poor slippers might not have survived though they have both been making holes in them.
The whole play date thing has given me chance to make friends with my boys after their castration and I have been the lap with the best treats - both boys have landed on my lap from time to time for treats.

Sending more bonding vibes your way!

Thank you, due to the spraying I have decided against bonding and will continue with playdates for another couple of weeks. I do not want anything to upset the boys and I am worried about Dillon being injured (he is only just recovering from the castration) I am rather excited though I have put my name down to be considered for adopting a doe to bond with the boys, it was a rescue mentioned on here so fingers crossed.

I will continue to put updates on here if people dont mind of the boys playdates - so lovely to see them snugged up with one another

Despite the carnage of everything all over the place, this is my boys led out ignoring one another
20171220_143313[1] by Ra Greenwood, on Flickr

Whispering boys
20171220_143126[1] by Ra Greenwood, on Flickr

Hello mum, have you a treat? says Dillon
20171220_143112[1] by Ra Greenwood, on Flickr

Lovely pics :love: Yes please, keep posting pics of them.

I think you've made the right choice re delaying the bonding for a bit. However, it does look very calm and positive with them together, so I think you have some cause for optimism.

Exciting news regarding the possibility of a new doe for them :D Keep up updated :)

Thank you, due to the spraying I have decided against bonding and will continue with playdates for another couple of weeks. I do not want anything to upset the boys and I am worried about Dillon being injured (he is only just recovering from the castration) I am rather excited though I have put my name down to be considered for adopting a doe to bond with the boys, it was a rescue mentioned on here so fingers crossed.

I will continue to put updates on here if people dont mind of the boys playdates - so lovely to see them snugged up with one another

Despite the carnage of everything all over the place, this is my boys led out ignoring one another
20171220_143313[1] by Ra Greenwood, on Flickr

Whispering boys
20171220_143126[1] by Ra Greenwood, on Flickr

Hello mum, have you a treat? says Dillon
20171220_143112[1] by Ra Greenwood, on Flickr

These are amazing photos, I love them :love:

Your 'whispering boys' makes me remember all the times that rabbits run up to each other and gently touch noses. I am convinced that some special exchange of info or energy takes place at such moments :D

And good luck with the Doe!

These are amazing photos, I love them :love:

Your 'whispering boys' makes me remember all the times that rabbits run up to each other and gently touch noses. I am convinced that some special exchange of info or energy takes place at such moments :D

And good luck with the Doe!

Aww MightyMax thats lovely to think of special info :)

They have been out again this evening whilst we watched TV - they were obviously attended all the time and were not fussed by each other. I am so keeping up with the play dates.

The doe............. she might be a beautiful pale lop aged 4years ................. fingers, toes and ears crossed

Today's playdate went really well with Dillon humping (very briefly) Cuthbert, and Cuthbert staying still for a moment or two before bumbling off. The boys are nose bumping, eating together and lying near one another easily. Still not letting them be alone though.

Friday - stressful day as we had a trip to the vets - both boys went in one carrier with sprigs of rosemary (someone said it helped calm bunnies down). Both checked at the vets then straight home for playdate whilst I cleaned out the litter trays etc. Just a little humping from Dillon on Cuthbert but eating together and both chasing the sweeping brush as I tidied around the runs - do all rabbits hate sweeping brushes?

so beautiful, I have a good feeling they'll do well together. Please keep posting photos - even when I'm not commenting I'm silently appreciating

so beautiful, I have a good feeling they'll do well together. Please keep posting photos - even when I'm not commenting I'm silently appreciating

The boys are to get a wife in January - she is from northwest rabbit rescue. I was so inspired by your trio and the rescue stories :)

Friday - stressful day as we had a trip to the vets - both boys went in one carrier with sprigs of rosemary (someone said it helped calm bunnies down). Both checked at the vets then straight home for playdate whilst I cleaned out the litter trays etc. Just a little humping from Dillon on Cuthbert but eating together and both chasing the sweeping brush as I tidied around the runs - do all rabbits hate sweeping brushes?

I have used a Rescue Remedy - you can put a drop on the back of their neck, or put it into their water or spray it on herbs etc.

I have used it on myself in the direst of medical emergencies and can vouch for it's effectiveness :)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bach-Pet-Rescue-Remedy-10/dp/B0030NWZUC

Back