Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bunny not eating, but doesn't have Gut Stasis

Wise Old Thumper

Does she eat a lot of hay? Could you tell us how many pellets she gets every day? I remember you having a problem earlier on in the year with rabbits not eating. Normally rabbits will eat too much so it must be something in their diet/health or environment.

Quote Originally Posted by Marmot View Post
    Thanks MightyMax. Yeah I know Calico really isn't too lazy to eat!

I'm sorry to hear you have a poorly bunny too. I hope you soon find the cause and fix it. All the best x

Hey you're welcome!

I sometimes find we have to be a bit cleverer than the vet, and make suggestions as to what might be the issue. That's the good thing about a Forum like this .. You get a mix of suggestions

Thanks for the good wishes for my bun. Yes, we hope all will be well
    In order for you to insult me, first I have to value your opinion!

Its not just about whos being real to your face, its also about whos being real behind your back

Info about RHD2: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...48#post6780648

Warren Scout

sorry to hear Calico isn't doing so well - its always so stressful x

I would really push for x-rays and bloods as she isn't improving. what things will she eat? and what is her current diet like?

I had something similar with Luna, not eating as much, a bit sluggish. we found some pain in her hip (arthritis) so metacam and gut stimulant were in order. no improvement I pushed for x-rays earlier than our two week check up. we actually found that her stomach was 3/4 full with roughage (hay, fur, straw etc). some roughage is normal as it helps digest, but not that much! there was no give away feeling either. considering her poops were strung together, perhaps this is the issue?

sometimes they can do x-rays with concious or with a very light sedation over a full GA. Luna thankfully sat very very still.

sadly, some rabbit breeds are more prone to dental disease than others. those with smaller or rounded heads are at more of a risk - but it can happen to any bun. lops are one of those bred to have cute little round heads at the risk of this. due to the head being rounder teeth do not correctly align or they grow into the jaw. Snoopy had his first dental at 6 months... dental disease has no age and even with a perfect diet, if the teeth are a bit off so they don't grind the way they should spurs will come.

x-rays on her mouth would also rule out roots growing into the jaw or the teeth

I hope she improves soon and you get answers!!

Snoopy : 14.02.15 - 12.05.17 [mini rex]
    Luna : 14.02.15 [spayed rex]
    Orion : 21.10.17 [mini rex]

How's Calico doing today?

Its not just about whos being real to your face, its also about whos being real behind your back

Thanks for all your responses.

Calico ate some veggies in the middle of the night but isn't eating much again this morning - just the odd treat and a nibble of hay. She is fairly bright in herself, but not up to binkying at the moment.

I do try to get my buns to eat hay, but it is an uphill struggle. They have a lot of fresh veg - kale, cavolo nero, a little romaine lettuce and carrot. They have a mix of good pellets, but not a huge amount.

I agree with you all that vets aren't that clever when it comes to bunnies, hence my post to you all here. Thanks so much for your concern and suggestions. I'll see how Calico goes today and then maybe get her in to the vet later on.

Thanks for all your responses.

Calico ate some veggies in the middle of the night but isn't eating much again this morning - just the odd treat and a nibble of hay. She is fairly bright in herself, but not up to binkying at the moment.

I do try to get my buns to eat hay, but it is an uphill struggle. They have a lot of fresh veg - kale, cavolo nero, a little romaine lettuce and carrot. They have a mix of good pellets, but not a huge amount.

I agree with you all that vets aren't that clever when it comes to bunnies, hence my post to you all here. Thanks so much for your concern and suggestions. I'll see how Calico goes today and then maybe get her in to the vet later on.

Poor Calico, and poor you!

Have you tried readigrass as well as hay? I have used it a lot over the years, and although it doesn't agree with every bun to free feed it, I have never had a problem with the hundreds I have looked after.

https://www.pet-supermarket.co.uk/Fr...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Hi MightyMax

Yes, I am feeding Calico the equivalent of Readigrass (the Pets at Home version now has herbs in it too). Also some fresh grass and the odd dandelion if I can find them.

The vet is going to phone us tomorrow morning to see how Calico is doing and we will decide then it we put her in for an x-ray, etc. At least I feel pleased that we now have a plan of action. Calico is acting fairly normally, apart from not eating. So weird and frustrating.

How is your poorly bun today?

Hi MightyMax

Yes, I am feeding Calico the equivalent of Readigrass (the Pets at Home version now has herbs in it too). Also some fresh grass and the odd dandelion if I can find them.

The vet is going to phone us tomorrow morning to see how Calico is doing and we will decide then it we put her in for an x-ray, etc. At least I feel pleased that we now have a plan of action. Calico is acting fairly normally, apart from not eating. So weird and frustrating.

Yes, very frustrating!

Bunnies can go from being OK to being in pain (and not eating) in a heartbeat. It's so very difficult to know what's happening.

Yes, a plan of action .. at least you feel you have *some* control over things!

Hi MightyMax

Sorry .. I've only just seen this!

He's still with us thankfully. We had emergency vet visits over the weekend and back to the vet tomorrow. For now I have managed to keep him going. Thanks so much for asking