Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another food question

Mine eat lots and lots of hay different veggies and only get a tiny amount of s/s dry food every other day.
    I always thought bread was bad for bunnies?

Binky free Bridge bunnies Claude,Alfie,Lilac And Miffy and Vinnie,Never forgotten xxx

I saw the new year in on RU x

Wise Old Thumper

If u have wholemeal bread let it dry right out.. put it in the oven after cooking while its still warm and wait until it is hard as a rock. Then bunnies like to nibble on it.
    Probably not great if they are overweight but mine likes it
    Chris
    Chris
    Mum to Dylan the lionhead, and Oscar the cat!
    We will never forget you Simba, Nala, Fifi and Daisy xxxx

Banned

Nope, I give Toby bread straight from the pack all the time and he loves it, he leaves it when itís hard. I suppose it depends on the rabbit. I would never feed a pure breed anything that was different, I have been told they are more delicate then a cross breed. Come to think of it...the only bunny I ever fed bread too has lived for 12 years and counting.... maybe its for them Toby HATES carrots...but LOVES apples!

I'd be very careful with bread as it is very high in starch - which is difficult for bunnies to digest. I once gave a little too much and one of my bunnies almost went into GI stasis because of it... she was fine in the end after some intensive care, but I have stopped altogether giving any of my buns bread.
    LURCHERS DESERVE BETTER - AND SO DO BUNNIES!

Found this:

"There have been researches done that suggest that foods high in starch and low in fiber may be factors that could lead to enterotoxemia. Enterotoxemia is caused by changes in the Rabbit's cecal pH, resulting in an overgrowth of certain bacteria that could produce iota toxins that could lead to death when they enter into the body"

Bread is very high in carbohydrates and is therefore not very healthy for the gut flora or weight control. Fresh bread also contains yeast which can in some cases cause problems. Rock hard brown bread or very well done toast is a better treat, better still a bit of fresh veg!

Bread is also used by breeders of 'meat' rabbits to fatten them up.
    Lynda

C.A.R.R.O.T. (Care And Rehoming Rabbits Of Tayside)
    www.bunnyhugger.co.uk

My buns love Warburtons Seeded Batch toasted.
    It is their special treat on weekends.

Banned

LurcherGirl/bunnyhuggger guys, no idea what you are trying to say but Toby has been eating bread straight from the pack for the past 12 and a half years and he has had no problems. He loves it; to him itís a treat. He doesnít get it every night because we buy it for us, but when there is spear we give him some. Sometimes to many people go by the book to much, and that can be bad for rabbits. At the end of the day, we as owners know what our own rabbits like.... not a book or a website on the net. ALL rabbits are different. Toby isnt even fat...that might be why his lived so long?Bread is NOT bad for rabbits - from my exsperience its the best thing for them

Emma, I am not trying to say anything, I am not saying you are wrong or I am right... just wanted to point out that just because something does not affect one animal, doesn't mean that it is healthy.

I know of people that smoke like chimneys all their lives and live to a very old age - and yet, no-one would claim that smoking is healthy. It just so happens that some people can cope with certain things better than others...

I personally had a bad experience with feeding bread (Pippa nearly died on me because of it), maybe she is just over sensitive, I don't know, but all my bunnies are very healthy - and they never get any bread...
    LURCHERS DESERVE BETTER - AND SO DO BUNNIES!

Emma nobody is saying it's right or wrong to feed bread to rabbits, however there are lots of people who read these posts and if people can help them make an informed decision as to whether to feed fresh bread to their rabbit or not, then that's what we should do. Even though your rabbit is fine with it and thats great, other rabbits may not be, but it's nice to know some facts.
    Lynda

C.A.R.R.O.T. (Care And Rehoming Rabbits Of Tayside)
    www.bunnyhugger.co.uk

Banned

I think my post came across more abrupt then what I wanted it too. I basically thought I was getting a bit of a telling off over bread, lol. If Toby fell ill because I was feeding him bread I would stop Ė but he loves it so I feed him it. Lets face it, even us humans like all the foods that are bad for usÖ. all those sticky toffee puddings and chocolate bars. However eating organic and healthy all the time can become boring, we want a little treat now and again. I think it can be the same for bunnys. I except many rabbits donít agree to change as well as others, I know most pure breeds don't.